The online racing simulator
#1 - EricL
Did the real BMW Sauber drivers try LFS
Just wondering if Villeneuve Heidfeld or test driver Kubica did test their car in LFS.

If so what do they think ?

If they haven't tried it yet is there any plan to do so in the future ?

Anyway I love this BF1 and the new physics. Thanks.
I bet they have...how else could the default setups for this car be so good?

But since I highly doubt they're going to "out" themselves on this forum we'll just have to keep on wondering.
Somebody on the Polish LFS forum played RBR with Robert Kubica and told him to try LFS and he said that he might. I hope he will start playing LFS.
Apparently Jacques Villeneuve is a gamer. I'm sure he'd give it a go if he had the chance...

Edit - I found this byte on JV's website, about him appearing in the Intel ad.

Quote from jv-world.com :With Jacques well known interest in computers (particularly fast gaming computers)

That's just the kind of ownage online racing and hotlaps needs eh? Oh well, we can have fun competing for second place.

Seriously though, it'd be very interesting to hear any contemporary F1 driver's impressions... even more droolish to see their replays.
I think there are a lot of LFSers who would pwn any F1 driver at this game. Purely from the ammount of time they spend on it.
An F1 driver would have more important things to do than clock up 100,000mi on a computer game.
I also remember reading that Villeneuve is a self-confessed computer geek but at the time he was more into RPG's like Dungeons & Dragons. Part of me wouldn't be surprised if he does play LFS but you can be damn sure he's not gonna tell anyone what the name of his internet persona is.
As much as the hardcore world record holder LFSers are going to hate me saying this, there's no doubting the fact that a computer sim is a very different ball game to driving the real thing.

Whilst undoubtably many of them would be fast in a real car, it doesn't mean they'd be anywhere near the speed of any pro race driver even if they could beat them on LFS. The whole lack of reset button makes a big difference when driving for real, and a lot of people find it hard to put the whole "if I crash now, am I going to die" thought out of their heads.

Furthermore, there's no 'seat of the pants' feel in a game and also, it's only 2D. A lot of the reference points I use when I'm racing for real don't exist in a game. One of my strong points is feeling the grip ebbing away when it's wet or on long sweepers, which just can't be done on a PC. The best way I can describe it is (ironically) that driving a real car fast is very anologue, as opposed to a sim which is very digital (as in every braking point, turn in point, and acceleration point is exact and can be rehearsed time after time). As you say, it's therefore possible to get really fast, just by playing the thing for hundreds of hours.

Once again, I'm not taking anything away from the skill of sim racing, but a 14 yr old behind a desk is not really comparable to a 21 yr old in a 200mph missile!
Quote from ArosaMike :as opposed to a sim which is very digital (as in every braking point, turn in point, and acceleration point is exact and can be rehearsed time after time)

ever tried richard burns rally? with changing road conditions and weather with real heavy rain!!! there´s no way to rehearse this stages more than to know the way - the driving is so different if you are the first driver in the grid, or if you are the last and have way more grip because the other drivers have cleaned the road.

it sounds like: if somebody got talent he´ll be good at anything he does, with a lot of practice

peace mo
Quote :That's just the kind of ownage online racing and hotlaps needs eh? Oh well, we can have fun competing for second place.

What if they get beaten by say... me?

Will i drive f1 then?
Quote from farcar :I think there are a lot of LFSers who would pwn any F1 driver at this game. Purely from the ammount of time they spend on it.
An F1 driver would have more important things to do than clock up 100,000mi on a computer game.

I dont think so. Robert Kubica after few laps in RBR was like a master of that game. Also he won the champonship in Colin Mcrea. I am sure that he doesnt play video games all the time. It has to be in you.
A real life F1 driver who also is a routinized LFS F1 driver would have every reason to beat the competition. I especially think about actual online races versus others.

Just think about all the setup knowledge, adjusting it for personal driving style, etc.

Now, imagine the EXTREME attention LFS would get if it (together with partners) hosted a TV broadcast LFS F1 driver race. Heh heh, with qualifying and everything. Same length as real races. "Oh my gawd, Räikkönen is out due to the blue screen of death!"
Rofl

That would be indeed cool, maybe it's not too far away from actually taking place. Vykos?
I think it might happen at that BMW entertainment park at the Nurburgring F1 GP. Who knows
Quote from Kajojek(PL) :I dont think so. Robert Kubica after few laps in RBR was like a master of that game. Also he won the champonship in Colin Mcrea. I am sure that he doesnt play video games all the time. It has to be in you.

I could beat him in RBR.. in real life? Not a chance-
Here in Lithuania one TV show about cars organized "Virtual Rally Championship". There were two categories - amateurs (regular pc gamers) and profesionals (Real life racers, both rally and track). They were using Richard Burns Rally. There were some amateurs (12-13 yo), that did beat pros... And I can tell you, those pros aren't bad - Lithuanian rally champions for example...
Quote from Kajojek(PL) :I dont think so. Robert Kubica after few laps in RBR was like a master of that game. Also he won the champonship in Colin Mcrea. I am sure that he doesnt play video games all the time. It has to be in you.

Have you seen the wr times in RBR and watched the replays? If Robert Kubica drives RBR the same way, then he's just another alien on a computer game. But I bet he doesn't and isn't. There's no real life racer that would beat any of the faster guys in a computer game, simply because computer games (and for once I say that includes sims) are not perfect.

A real driver would use his own knowledge of lines and physics to drive as fast as possible, whereas a computer racer would use the lines and physics engine of the game to drive as fast as possible. Any synthed engine has flaws. Granted, LFS is very close to being comparable to real life, but still there are exploits in the engine that makes us go beyond real life fast. Just see how the cars in RBR fly over the tracks. I mean, ever seen a real rally car take a double 90 chicane flat out? No, but in RBR you can because you can jump the whole thing (which would kill you in RL).
Quote from TagForce :Have you seen the wr times in RBR and watched the replays? If Robert Kubica drives RBR the same way, then he's just another alien on a computer game. But I bet he doesn't and isn't. There's no real life racer that would beat any of the faster guys in a computer game, simply because computer games (and for once I say that includes sims) are not perfect.

A real driver would use his own knowledge of lines and physics to drive as fast as possible, whereas a computer racer would use the lines and physics engine of the game to drive as fast as possible. Any synthed engine has flaws. Granted, LFS is very close to being comparable to real life, but still there are exploits in the engine that makes us go beyond real life fast. Just see how the cars in RBR fly over the tracks. I mean, ever seen a real rally car take a double 90 chicane flat out? No, but in RBR you can because you can jump the whole thing (which would kill you in RL).

Im not saying he's doing wr easily. (Im sure if he practiced a bit he would) . Its just that after few laps he can drive much much faster times than some people that drive few months.

EDIT:

Quote from TagForce :There's no real life racer that would beat any of the faster guys in a computer game,

How about Norbi?
I've met Jacques online in another game entirely or at least the person said he was Jacques. It was just a brief meating and i've no idea or even much care if it was the real him.

We chatted briefly about motor racing and he asked what I thought of Villeneuve, so I told him, he then said he *was* Jacques Villeneuve, and I said nice to meat you ... but I didn't change my verdict - which was something about an extended career past his own desire for it in order to rake the money in, or something like that.

He's actually looked more impressive this season and seems to be taking part in the same motor race that i'm watching again, perhaps he was just unhappy with all the Craig Pollock business that was going on.
Quote from TagForce :A real driver would use his own knowledge of lines and physics to drive as fast as possible, whereas a computer racer would use the lines and physics engine of the game to drive as fast as possible. Any synthed engine has flaws. Granted, LFS is very close to being comparable to real life, but still there are exploits in the engine that makes us go beyond real life fast. Just see how the cars in RBR fly over the tracks. I mean, ever seen a real rally car take a double 90 chicane flat out? No, but in RBR you can because you can jump the whole thing (which would kill you in RL).

Well said about the difference between IRL and computer game.

And I also agree about RBR, you can't do a wr time without some extreme and very unrealistic cutting. But I've read some real rally drivers' impressions about RBR (I can go and find a link to some thread on BMHS.com if someone is interested) and only complain have been always that the cars are too light (mass) and the behaviour on tarmac. Some German rally driver had even a long history with sim games so I'm sure he knows his stuff. I don't think RBR would be so accurate without Richard Burns' immense help with the physics.
Quote from Kajojek(PL) :How about Norbi?

Wasn't he the one that got into real racing because of LFS? So that's basically the inverse of what I was talking about.
In any case, there are a few real life racers that are online racers too...
I've raced Dale Jr in NR2003, and he was fast enough. It's just that they use real world experience to drive their sim, whereas a regular gamer uses ingame experience to drive.

I'm not saying they can't be both, I'm saying that a real driver running a game would first and foremost use his rl knowledge to be fast, instead of his knowledge of physics engines and their shortcomings.

And I can beat most drivers in LFS too...

Quote from deggis :
But I've read some real rally drivers' impressions about RBR (I can go and find a link to some thread on BMHS.com if someone is interested) and only complain have been always that the cars are too light (mass) and the behaviour on tarmac. Some German rally driver had even a long history with sim games so I'm sure he knows his stuff. I don't think RBR would be so accurate without Richard Burns' immense help with the physics.

Yes... I'm not saying RBR is unrealistic... I was just pointing out that there are flaws in the engine, and they are used by the aliens. RBR is the most realistic rally sim to date (even though I hate the menu system and arcade "unlock the tracks by winning" progression), and if there are rules enforced about not cutting the tracks, I'm sure most real rally drivers would be at the top of the leagues if they entered. Tarmac feels arcady at best. It feels like they had all the surfaces down 2 weeks before release and then went "Yikes! We forgot tarmac! Quickly hack up some values, guys!"
Quote from RacingSimFan :you can be damn sure he's not gonna tell anyone what the name of his internet persona is.

Biggie

Quote from TagForce :Yes... I'm not saying RBR is unrealistic... I was just pointing out that there are flaws in the engine, and they are used by the aliens. RBR is the most realistic rally sim to date (even though I hate the menu system and arcade "unlock the tracks by winning" progression), and if there are rules enforced about not cutting the tracks, I'm sure most real rally drivers would be at the top of the leagues if they entered. Tarmac feels arcady at best. It feels like they had all the surfaces down 2 weeks before release and then went "Yikes! We forgot tarmac! Quickly hack up some values, guys!"

I agree. Tarmac is fun and the driving style if that's a good word to say is very close to real rallying but the car behaviour is not. On tarmac it's like wheels are spinning or they're not spinning at all. I think this affects the crazy handbrake use too, almost every tighter corner is faster when using handbrake and just sliding all the way. Probably because when using handbrake the wheels starts to spin and then you can just slide until the car automatically corrects itself.

Well but doh, this thread wasn't about RBR.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG