The online racing simulator
LFS Forum Problems
(50 posts, closed, started )
LFS Forum Problems
Hello,

First a quick note about myself - The mods will know who it is with 10 seconds of searching and I'll probably be punished, but I really wanted to put all of these points across while remaining anonymous - so if you are going to punish me, don't go around screaming my name please!

Patch Issues & Timings

There has obviously been a lot of chat lately about the release of the VW Scirocco, and how Scawen told us it would be out in december. The way Scavier works is they do what they want - when the want - as fast as they want. The masses of people complaining about the lateness of this patch is obscene. People don't seem to know what its like to work in a game design environment, or work on any project for that matter that isn't simple to do. If your coding a game and set yourself a deadline, you have no idea what problems may come up in the coding in the process, you can't compensate for these in any way other than not setting a date. I guess Scawen set a date and couldn't meet it, oh well. There's no need to spam the forums with complaining that the Scirocco hasn't been released yet and the developers are crap and they should hire more people..etc. Complaining won't do anything other than annoy other readers of the forum, it'll probably annoy the developers and moderators too.

Attitudes

Recently there have been a few people coming on the forums and talking about their lives. What you have to remember is that your on an internet forum - not in your local pub. Some people that I won't speak of, have been talking a lot about their wealth and all the great things they can buy and 'oh look how cool this is.' I say have some respect. Many people on this forum including myself aren't in a good financial situation, my family is running out of money, my dad has no job and he can't get one. I don't particularly whine about this much, but it really p*sses me off when people come on and start bragging about their lives. It doesn't annoy me that you've got better things than me - good for you! But, please don't come on an internet forum and brag about it - it doesn't make you any cooler it just annoys me and probably quite a few other people too.

I do realise this is of course an internet forum and I can't ask for perfection and no conflicts, but the things i've spoken of above are avoidable, stupid things. They're what make this forum a pretty grim place at the moment - I can't imagine what it would be like to be a new S2 member looking on the forum for mature discussions regarding the game - only to find whining, bragging and arguing.

I'll have to say thanks to all of the developers for all of their work so far - carry on as you have been doing - hopefully you'll carry on improving this brilliant game!

I've missed out a lot of stuff, but there are the main things I wanted to talk about.

Regards,
Please be nice.
#2 - (SaM)
Why did you decide to go incognito? There's no reason to be ashamed of your opinion. In fact, many share this opinion and it has been expressed in the same way before.

Come out come out, whoever you are!
im going to guess who you are.... ian? anyway, nice post hopefully some people will read it.
#4 - Byku
Emm... seriously... O.o... why the hell did You decide to go incognito? Your post is seriously polite and You shouldn't be... well.. afraid to post it by Your main account. I agree with it also, although I have to say that it will accomplish nothing. Moaners will still moan propably and accuse You of being irracional .
#5 - th84
I dont understand the whole incognito thing here. I think you couldve accomplished more by posting under your primary user name, regardless of your status amongst the community, just MHO.

For the most part, I agree with the first part of your post, but the second part makes the first look like a load of bullshit.
Quote from Please_Be_Nice :the things i've spoken of above are avoidable, stupid things

Yep they're avoidable. As in 'avoid reading them'.

About the VWS, the mods/devs decide what is allowed and what is not. If they don't lock or moderate it means they are OK and it's up to you to skip em.

Regarding some people being richer than you or me, and bragging about it: I'm afraid this is quite common. It's not an LFSforum thing, I see it everyday both IRL and on TV. TBH I always had.

If you've become hypersensitive about the forum, I guess it's time to take a little break from it.
Start a debate with yourself, no-one will catch you out then...

mwuahahahahahahah
Why not post anonymous here? It avoids prejudice.

I think part of the cause (not problem by any means) is the increase over the few years we've had here of a younger audience. That and there really only being a limited number of things to talk about with a game which leads to question repetition.

I only visit this and one other forum regularly, but the other forum doesn't have any problems due to it's user base all being a similar age, and the topic being big enough that new questions are still being asked ever since it's conception many years ago.

Looking back on threads from a few years back, that forum was a much nicer place generally. I notice a lot of senior posters then have since left. However I'm not sure what you can do to remedy the situation.

I'm pretty sure I know the OP.
Quote from th84 :I dont understand the whole incognito thing here. I think you couldve accomplished more by posting under your primary user name, regardless of your status amongst the community, just MHO.

For the most part, I agree with the first part of your post, but the second part makes the first look like a load of bullshit.

Posting under a known username would bring attention to me, on the forums - after all my posts and even when racing online. I'd rather just post in an unknown name and let my thoughts be heard, rather than attracting attention.

I do realise that I'm contradicting myself posting this and at the same time not wanting to attract attention, but I know what I mean in my head.

@pb32000 - take a wild guess - even though I'm not going to reveal who I am I guess you can always make me giggle with your guess.
#10 - SamH
Probably incognito because he (or she) wanted to be direct and honest about his (or her) own family's financial situation without that rolling stone collecting the moss of stigma on his (or her) regular username.

Regarding bragging about wealth, it's my extensive experience that the ones that brag most about being wealthy are just plain lying. Those that aren't lying and are bragging are.. well.. just crass. You can find total satisfaction in the fact that they're beneath you in every other sense known to man or beast.

FTR, creating demo accounts to post anonymously isn't in keeping with the forum's usage policy, as set out by the moderators' secret handbook "Bodyparts Accepted In Exchange For Second Forum Accounts". Given the honesty in the first post, I'm going to sit on my hands for now. Please PM me when you're ready to have the demo account closed.

[edit] Slow typing...
#11 - th84
Quote from Please_Be_Nice :Posting under a known username would bring attention to me, on the forums - after all my posts and even when racing online. I'd rather just post in an unknown name and let my thoughts be heard, rather than attracting attention.

I understand that part, but I still think you would've been taken more seriously if you had posted under your name. I also understand Sam's point, but you didn't have to disclose your personal situation in order to get your point across. Also, having money problems is nothing to be ashamed of. So thats no reason to use an alias. You wanted it to be heard? I think you will end up getting more attention about the fact that you used an alias rather than what you actually had to say.

It's a forum, I dont see the need in hiding behind a name. Say whats on your mind. I think you will find that people will respect you more if you're just being yourself and saying whats on your mind.. Sure, you may have caught some backlash, but who cares?

It's hard to take someone's comments seriously when they choose to use an alias. The proof is right here in this thread.. there has been more talk about you using an alias than what you actually had to say. Again, this is all just MHO.
The reason I posted under this alias wasn't really the family financial situation - I quite openly talk to people about that although I've never mentioned it on this forum really.

I just wanted the people who do what I was complaining about to read this without changing their views on me as a person.
I dont get it. I pick and chose the threads I get involved in and probably read only a few % of the forum. If a thread title says VW Scirocco this is LFS Forum code for 'stay the smeg away'.

As for the bragging thing, sorry but if it annoys you then it does bothers you so saying otherwise is false, again just dont read it, dont let it get to you, but on a more personal note from me to you, I've said here before I have known life both with money (really, shit loads of it, like with land and stuff) and without (really, going hungry, like with no food and stuff).

Given a choice [which I sort of do have] i'd rather not have money because it simplifies life - having money makes others jealous of you, it's a burden that turns people evil toward you. Seriously, look at the example in post 1 above for evidence.
#14 - th84
Quote from Becky Rose : Seriously, look at the example in post 1 above for evidence.

I thought I was being nice...

Quote from Please_Be_Nice :I just wanted the people who do what I was complaining about to read this without changing their views on me as a person.

Have you changed your views on them as a person as a result of their complaining or bragging? If you have, I think that says more about you then it does them. Everyone is entilted to their own opinion. If people dont agree with your opinion and choose to dis-like you for it, then thats their problem. Move on.

Why not send these people a PM and discuss it there?
Quote from th84 : I thought I was being nice...

Have you changed your views on them as a person as a result of their complaining or bragging? If you have, I think that says more about you then it does them. Everyone is entilted to their own opinion. If people dont agree with your opinion and choose to dis-like you for it, then thats their problem. Move on.

Why not send these people a PM and discuss it there?

I've not really changed my opinion on people due to their success in life (or indeed their parents). However some of these people have influenced my opinions of them from offensive comments that were made - nothing to do with this though.

Trying to answer your first point a bit better, my opinions of some people have changed about things they have said, but generally my opinions were changed by different things the same people have said.
Quote from (SaM) :Why did you decide to go incognito? There's no reason to be ashamed of your opinion. In fact, many share this opinion and it has been expressed in the same way before.

Lol yeah. I saw the thread title and the thread starter and instantly knew it was a 2nd user.

As far as money goes, well I'm poor myself. There's many things I'd love to get but I simply can't afford, and yet it doesn't really annoy me (that is, other people bragging about having whatever). Only the "i go to 3rd bestest school in all of england" kid really gets me (we all know who it is, I won't go about mentioning names etc), and even so it's not because he (his family) have money, it's because he talks about it like it's nothing.

People that have money, well, they've done something right in life and I say well done to them. As for the moaning about the Scirocco, ok it's annoying, but it's become such a frequent occurance that you just generally stay away from patch/Scirocco threads.

As for you, well. Post under your real account, simply because I see no reason why you have to hide. It's the internet and outside of the forum browsing, no-one thinks about you, or more likely even cares about what you think, unless you're Kev. *cough* No-one's going to change their view of you because of a thread...
Moaning is not avoidable. When you sell a product, you can't hope to satisfy everyone. Scavier's secretive manners probably don't help them in that optic, but that's their problem, as they seem comfortable ignoring the moaning (which is the good thing to do). Don't go believing that LFS is the only product that gets moaned about. Every product EVER sold has made some people unhappy in different ways. Some people moan if there's a hiatus; most people don't. That's a fact of life!

Keep this in mind, though: LFS is relatively lucky considering that the people it attracts are probably less prone to moaning than the average video-game player. The moaning on LFS forums is quite low. Basically, people will only get pissed off if something's been announced and delayed, or if there's too much time in their opinion inbetween patches.

Welcome to the world of the patch video-game

p.s. Scavier need to hire a couple of blue posters; they make things better!
@ Please Be Nice , very nicely written thread my friend ! Your 1st point i'm not sure about ( more of that at the end ) , but your second point got me thinking , a little .

I think the bragging is something that only happens in a semi anonymous enviroment like a forum, this being that in the real world amongst our friends this is seen and rightly so as being bigheaded or arrogant . So just brush it off m8 , ingnore and carry on .Its been mentioned in above posts and i agree that a good deal of it is just chest puffing and probably to be taken with a pinch of salt ( shovel full ) ? They wouldn't do it in real life , so they do it here to prop up their delicate egos ... screw em !

As for the posting anonymously , no need jeez im the most hated bugger on this forum and I'll still post with my s2 account ,why? Because its just a forum and my real life goes on away from here! You seem far more , polite , articulate and offer a much better standard of written English than i do so throw caution to the wind , and post with your s2 !

As for your Dads situation , I feel for him m8 , I'm a tradesman and have been without work for 3 months now and nothing is looking like appearing very soon , it blows chunks . All you can do is keep pluggin' away , I hope things change for your family soon i really do .

Ok , back to the 1st point ..( already hated so just gonna throw this out there )

After 1st teasing us with a " You get new patch next week " post ...Do you think that after 3 months we could just get an update ? We're nearly there guys hang in there ..or , more probs , not gonna be anytime soon

I love the game as is .. sure aint gonna throw my toys out the pram because we didnt get the patch ( and to be perfectly honest I would rather wait for it to be finished than half assed and rushed ). Just a little info , realisticly would take a dev all of 30 mins to write a quick post .It really could be as short as mentioned in previous paragraph .

I know i'm gonna get crucified for my last 2 paras , thick skin and all that !

So again @ Please Be Nice , declare yourself now . They will be to busy nailing me to the cross to care
We've had a couple of updates regarding the Sciroccos development from the Dev's, incase you haven't noticed Doc.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :We've had a couple of updates regarding the Sciroccos development from the Dev's, incase you haven't noticed Doc.

We have ? ahh cock... I had a look just , I assume they are stickies , with one of the devs as the author ... off to look again

*edit* had a look , nowhere can I find a thread started by a dev and stickied , informing us as to progress , anychance you could point me in the right direction ?

many thx
@please_be_nice
I do think its inevitable that there will be some egos blown in any forum. Hardware sites tend to be the worst at the kind of things your discussing. In this forums defence though, there are more then enough wise indiviiduals to counterbalance the issue of arrogance and idiosyncrasy on dsiplay now and again. Most new users tend to wait a while and get adjusted personally before entering in discussion here i would say (I know i did and still do).
Anyway I'll leave you with an age old saying to hopefully help you along.

"Don't worry, be happy"

Or maybe thats not helping at all in that case, I leave with these wise words.

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!
Hmmm... This forum has some issues yes, but people bragging isn't one of them.

I can't really think anyone who has been doing that?
Quote from NightShift :Regarding some people being richer than you or me, and bragging about it: I'm afraid this is quite common. It's not an LFSforum thing, I see it everyday both IRL and on TV. TBH I always had.

OK. I don't get this. Why would somebody brag about being in IRL. On TV sure, "I play a doctor who's going to save my sister from terrible Alliance brain scrambling." That's impressive.

"I'm a lazy American racer who got my fanny handed to me the first time Mansell sat in one of our cars." Is not impressive.
Quote from (SaM) :Why did you decide to go incognito? There's no reason to be ashamed of your opinion. In fact, many share this opinion and it has been expressed in the same way before.

whoever it is...

lameness for hiding...

if you speak up, you don't deserve an opinion
This thread is closed

LFS Forum Problems
(50 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG