The online racing simulator
Nintendo DSi
(16 posts, started )
#1 - Danke
Nintendo DSi
I find myself oddly excited about the DSi. I'm not a big gadget person (this was my last handheld game system, seriously), but I would like something small for web browsing using Wi-fi instead of using cell phone minutes.

I know you can buy Opera for the DS Lite, but apparently it's very slow. This video is all I can find about Opera on the DSi. Apparently the faster hardware helps quite a bit.

I guess the DSi has been out in Japan for a while. Anyone have one yet? It comes out here next month and I just might buy one, especially if there's a good homebrew market.
Uhm, so what does this new DS have? Faster Web browsing?
Internet is for PC's IMO.
Nope all it has is a stupid camera on it. So they can put the price up even higher on these stupid things.
remember kids! (by which I mean trebor) The DS is a very affordable hand-held console! Not like the ludicrously expensive PSP at all
affordable? £129.99 now with the camera on it, you can pick up an Xbox 360 for that now and a brand new one at that.
Actually just checked the DSi starts at £149.99. And the PSP is actually only the price it is because of the amount of stuff you get on it, plus the graphics are much better and it has much better interface and control system than the DS.
Why.... why on earth do you need a camera on a freaking hand-held console which is supposed to be used to play games on the move..... If i wanted to take photos i would get a damn camera....
The DSi doesn't have the second slot for GBA games, it's been replaced with something like the R4DS carts iirc.

Quote from trebor901 :affordable? £129.99 now with the camera on it, you can pick up an Xbox 360 for that now and a brand new one at that.

The DSi will last longer though.
eh? my brothers got an original DS and that takes GBA games, so why did they take it away for the DS Lite? pretty pointless marketing stunt it seems.
The DS lite still has the GBA slot, it's just got a cover.

The DSi

Quote :* Slimmer, smaller form factor
* Larger screens
* 2 x built-in camera (3 megapixels each)
* Updated Wii-style interface
* Music playback
* Photo manipulation software
* DSi Shop/DSWare download service
* Increased internal memory / SD Card support
* No GBA port

It's practically got a built in R4 tbh.

Got that from another forum, it was posted in Oct 08.
my original (mk.1?) DS I bought a couple of months after they came out, although its a bit battered it still works perfectly, I'd much rather have spent £130 on an original DS back then than even more for a PSP, and even if the Xbox only costs £130 now you can pick up a DS for about £70 so it's a moot point
Quote from LineR32 :The DS lite still has the GBA slot, it's just got a cover.

The DSi

Got that from another forum, it was posted in Oct 08.

I'd rather have 1 6 Megapixel camera than 2 3 megapixel ones.
whats the need for a camera on something like this?
Over here, the DSi and the PSP are both $169. I just bought my daughter a DSLite for $129.

You guys pay a pile of money for a stupid little hand held DS and your xBox is extremely cheap. xBox here is still $400, way too much money. The large consoles should be the ones that are $169 and the hand held junk should be dirt cheap.
Somewhere I read that the DSi has 4x the RAM of the DS lite. I don't care about the cameras, although my kids might like to play with them. It's the extra RAM that apparently speeds up web browsing that interests me.

I guess my alternative for a mobile wif-fi web browser would be an ipod touch, which is about $60 more, but probably better suited for the job. I'm not sure I'm cool enough to own an ipod though. I'd have to turn in my grumpy old man card. :geezer:

Nintendo DSi
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG