The online racing simulator
PPD Championship Cup
(42 posts, started )
PPD Championship Cup
2009 PPD CHAMPIONSHIP CUP
- ROUND 1
PolePositionDriver is very proud to announce the 2009 PPD Championship cup.

Please watch the Intro to the event (It was done especially for this event)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR-4_83KqSg

DATE OF EVENT: Saturday 18th of April 2009
All racers please meet 30 minutes before race event

Time of ACTUAL RACE: 10PM (GMT +10) if your area is GMT+1 it will be 12am in the Afternoon.

Qualifying: 29th March 2009
10PM (GMT +10) if your area is GMT+1 it will be 12am in the Afternoon.

Track: Fernbay Gold

Duration: 2 Hour Race

Car choice is limited to: FXO-GTR

There are ample spaces available for drivers to join.

More driver spaces will be opened if necessary.

Please keep up to date with news on my forum topic above for any updates to the event.

Please enter your details for application in this format:

LFS Username: (this is your actual login name to LFS not your nickname)
Current LFS Nickname:
Team Name:
Email Address:

Thanks to everyone who takes part in this,
hi! only first place wins money? thks
The final details on other prize money will be notified as we get some numbers
Sounds interesting. I'm not too sure about the entry fees though. I wouldn't win anyway so why pay to someone else for being faster?

So do you sign up here? What does "ample spaces available" mean? Prequalification if necessary?
Quote from hyntty :Sounds interesting. I'm not too sure about the entry fees though. I wouldn't win anyway so why pay to someone else for being faster?

Well, in order for PPD to be able to give the winner(s) a bit of prize money, he has to get some money first. You can't expect him to pay it all out of his own pocket. And after all, $5 US isn't really a lot of money.

I think it's great that PPD keeps organizing these events and trying to make things a bit interesting by having prizes. It just needs the right kind of people willing to pay the (very) small entry fee.

Quote from hyntty :So do you sign up here? What does "ample spaces available" mean? Prequalification if necessary?

It means there's plenty of places available to sign up.
Thanks again obsolu for your comment

hyntty - The last few competitions have been coming out of my pocket, and considering I don't make any money off the site, I'm not sure how willing most people are to give away $70US haha. You would be paying to be part of something big, some teams run huge endurance races but don't always offer prize money, so heres some incentive.

We will take in as many as willing to join.

There is just a qualification to receive your position at the starting line, we have no limits as yet on the max amount of drivers

You will need to submit your details on the forum link I added

Thanks
Adrian
Quote from obsolum :Well, in order for PPD to be able to give the winner(s) a bit of prize money, he has to get some money first. You can't expect him to pay it all out of his own pocket. And after all, $5 US isn't really a lot of money.

Quote from polepositiondriver :
hyntty - The last few competitions have been coming out of my pocket, and considering I don't make any money off the site, I'm not sure how willing most people are to give away $70US haha. You would be paying to be part of something big, some teams run huge endurance races but don't always offer prize money, so heres some incentive.

I didn't mean it like that. I'll rephrase: What is going to make me participate and pay if I know I have no chance of getting anywhere near that prize money? That's a huge motivational matter. Secondly if there is going to be 1337 sign ups and a prequalification I'd be paying for a race I didn't even participate in... But say, If I didn't finish in the top 15 perhaps I could get a refund? (notice the clever calculation, 5*15)

I'm not saying this entry fee is a bad idea at all. I hope all the best for you and this league, but I still have my doubts about how it'll work. It's a fact that there will be a few top-notch drivers who will collect all the victories, and there will be people who will give up after one round because they have no chance of succeeding. Hopefully that doesn't happen but to me it's the most probable scenario.
Quote from hyntty :I didn't mean it like that. I'll rephrase: What is going to make me participate and pay if I know I have no chance of getting anywhere near that prize money? That's a huge motivational matter.
(...)
It's a fact that there will be a few top-notch drivers who will collect all the victories, and there will be people who will give up after one round because they have no chance of succeeding.

You're absolutely right about that. Personally I don't think I would enter such a competition because I'm simply not a very fast driver, so the chances of me winning anything would be slim to none. On the other hand, there are a lot of incredibly good and fast drivers out there who might well think they have a good chance of competing for the prize money in such an event, so if they were all to sign up there'd be quite a few competitors.

One thing that could be done to circumvent the problem of people not bothering to sign up because they're not fast enough, could be to have different events for people of different skill. For example, an event on combo X where only people are allowed to enter whose pb's on that combo are within y seconds of each other.

Of course, it would be possible for people to try and "cheat" this system, but I think if you put some thought into it it could work. For example, another requirement could be that people have at least done a certain amount of laps/miles on that specific combo because obviously, a person who has done 1500 laps on a combo will have a faster pb than someone who's done only 15 laps, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the first driver is faster. Ugh, I hope I'm making sense here, just thinking out loud... Anyway, a system like this would put drivers of similar skill together, making it more attractive for people to sign up and take their chances, I think.
:razzo ert enter for free ?
How about splitting the prize money 50/20 for 1st & 2nd?
All it takes is one quick driver to enter & everyone else looses.
I am always open for suggestions

I have re organised the prize money to allow for prize money to even 3rd place

$50US For First Place,
$20US For Second Place,
$10US for third Place

This should make it at least a bit more welcoming to the first 3 racers

And it will give everyone a chance
Quote from jwardy ::razzo ert enter for free ?

I'd like to but I have to be fair to everyone haha

$5us isn't much to enter an event, it helps support our community.

A bit of background on the Video, I did that from scratch in 3 days and it took about 13 hours to render.

I did it just for this event
Only 5 dollas? holla holla

I might join the event, money is not issue but the time
Yea count me in ill pay
Might be worth knowing the length of the race.
I'm not that fast of a driver but I would definetly like to spectate that from lfsworld.net.....it's got the makings for some fierce racing
European people do things midday on a Saturday. Times really need some work
-
(polepositiondriver) DELETED by polepositiondriver
6 laps? that's it? when I first read this I thought it would be like 20-30 laps, with 6 laps the race will be over in less than 10 minutes, not worth the $5 entry fee imo, I could just play poker instead and have more fun in 10 minutes.
We are working with Experion Racing on this event,
As yet we have removed the Entry fee and we are still finalising the prize money.

The Race has been moved to a 2 hour race.

Everyone is welcome to join
Great iniciative polepositiondriver!!!
And cool and original video btw.

Prices for the 3 first positions is enough imo to motivate all drivers.
I like long races because anything can happend, but a full throttle 30 minutes race could be insane fun! Lot's of pressure and hot setups! Good mix.
We need more of this kind of events!

cheers....
Quote from FOX 1977 :Great iniciative polepositiondriver!!!
And cool and original video btw.

Prices for the 3 first positions is enough imo to motivate all drivers.
I like long races because anything can happend, but a full throttle 30 minutes race could be insane fun! Lot's of pressure and hot setups! Good mix.
We need more of this kind of events!

cheers....

Thanks for the comment, I am passionate about racing games as it runs in my veins, I work on PPD nearly 8-9 hours a day working on promotion and helping other teams out so it does take a lot of time for something that doesn't pay me. We just love the communities support

Thanks heaps
Those details are still being worked out as yet.
Keep checking for updates

PPD Championship Cup
(42 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG