The online racing simulator
Another PC question.
(17 posts, started )
Another PC question.
Hi. I was already posting a thread about new PC, so I changed config a lot.
So, this will be my new PC, and I want to know which is weakest part in it (I have extra 30$ to spend).

Case: HEC 6K28BBX585 Black 0.8mm SECC Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case 585W Power Supply - Retail
Mobo: Foxconn A7GM-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
RAM: OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
HDD: Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
GFX Card: MSI N9800GT-T2D512-OC V2 GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail (but please FOR GODS SAKE DONT SUGGEST ATI).
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Retail (but please FOR GODS SAKE DONT SUGGEST INTEL).

That's all, thanks in advance.

Oh, btw, I am 99% sure I forgot something
What's wrong with intel. I'd rather have an intel then an AMD. Or is it for ur budget?
Nice choices. Weakest point is PSU since its bundled with the case, and they usually put crap psu's in with cases. Go for a corsair PSU if you can afford it.

Maybe an ATI version of the 9800 (3850?) moar bang for the buck from what I can tell + better AA (debatable) instead of 9800,
Quote from MijnWraak :Nice choices. Weakest point is PSU since its bundled with the case, and they usually put crap psu's in with cases. Go for a corsair PSU if you can afford it.

Maybe an ATI version of the 9800 (3850?) moar bang for the buck from what I can tell + better AA (debatable) instead of 9800,

I think the ATI 9800 is more like a 4850. Like you said, more bang for your money
#5 - dadge
Quote from MijnWraak :Nice choices. Weakest point is PSU since its bundled with the case, and they usually put crap psu's in with cases. Go for a corsair PSU if you can afford it.

I agree, I would buy a good case with no powersupply then buy a good brand name PSU separate. Corsair PSU's are Very good, well built and 5 year warranty.
Quote from dadge :i would opt for double the ram. 4gb just because it's going so cheap these days. see: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ ... mp;catid=8&subcat=817

Not much point since unless hes going to be using a 64bit version of windows he wont be able to see over 3-3.5gb of ram in the system. Also 4gbs of ram is more then enough for almost anything he plans to run. Better to invest that $$ in another part.
Quote from bryanviper :I agree, I would buy a good case with no powersupply then buy a good brand name PSU separate. Corsair PSU's are Very good, well built and 5 year warranty.

Yup, very good indeed.
My HX620 powers a Q9450 @ 3.6, 2 x 2GB OCZ Reaper HPC + 2 x 2GB Corsair XMS2DHX @ 1066MHz CL5, a 4870X2 and a 4870 in CF and 5 HDDs just fine and it's almost inaudible
Quote from bryanviper :Not much point since unless hes going to be using a 64bit version of windows he wont be able to see over 3-3.5gb of ram in the system. Also 4gbs of ram is more then enough for almost anything he plans to run. Better to invest that $$ in another part.

Speaking of that

@op
do you plan on buying your O/S or pirating it?
or linux...
Quote from MijnWraak :Speaking of that

@op
do you plan on buying your O/S or pirating it?
or linux...

I will get Win 7 beta from MSDN (still don't know which to get, 32 or 64 bit, need advice ) and some linux (not ubuntu, more like debian) in dual boot, windows will be for games and video processing.

About GFX card - when I had ATi, I had VERY serious problems with drivers in linux and technical support. And 3850 is like 9600GT and not like 9800GT.

Edit: but aren't HEC PSU's good? Cause case is HEC so there will be HEC PSU in it.
Get the 64bit OS, it will be faster then 32bit version. Also you will be able to see all 4gb of your ram (or more if you plan on adding more), you will only be able to see 3-3.5gb with a 32bit OS

As for Linux driver support. I'm sure it depends on the version of linux you are using but they have improved. I'm pretty sure we have ati videos card in our school computers and we use Fedora Linux without an issue. But look into it before as im not sure which would be better.
Quote from bryanviper :I'm pretty sure we have ati videos card in our school computers and we use Fedora Linux without an issue. But look into it before as im not sure which would be better.

Don't think in your school there are 3850's and 4850's .

And all newest games have better support for NVidia (CUDA, SLI, etc.).
So I edited first post.
The common ground for the past few years with regards to Linux support is: if you want a decent 3D card with drivers that work, get nVidia. This is becoming less and less the case, however. nVidia's drivers have been getting gradually buggier, but the ATI drivers are in a worse state. Just as long as you avoid the 180.xx series in terms of nVidia drivers you should be okay. ATI is a matter of don't even go there if you want to keep everything else up to date.
Quote from Bose321 :What's wrong with intel. I'd rather have an intel then an AMD. Or is it for ur budget?

AMD chips are often easier to overclock, if thats his plan.
#15 - Jakg
Quote from danthebangerboy :AMD chips are often easier to overclock, if thats his plan.

Not since Core 2 came along - the Intels are now much easier to overclock...
Quote from Jakg :Not since Core 2 came along - the Intels are now much easier to overclock...

That shows just how out of touch with things i am, its not 2002 anymore lol

I want a core 2 then!
Quote from danthebangerboy :That shows just how out of touch with things i am, its not 2002 anymore lol

I want a core 2 then!

*cough*core2duo*cough*
and you're better off with a Phenom II or i7

Another PC question.
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG