The online racing simulator
Auschwitz is a type of beer
(49 posts, started )
#1 - samjh
#2 - senn
General public are retards, in any country.
Quote from senn :General public are retards, in any country.

Agreed.

Shocking to read stuff like this..
Reading that carefully I added up to 13% ?

There are retarded, slow, thick, plain stupid in every country ! To me, 13% isn't *to* bad, yes it could certainly be improved on, but I'd be a lot more worried if that figure was anything over 30 odd percent ...

Also depends what you pay attention to more really, I'd sit in a double history lesson (when it was WWII stuff ) and gladfully pay attention since it was something I was very much interested in. Yet I'd happily muck about a bit in maths, since i find having to "rationalise" and "factorise" completely useless. I do like areas and radius though

I'm a last year high school student too

EDIT: A better question would be who can say what was wrote above the main gate at Auchwitz without googling it ? I can, it was "Arbeit Macht Frei" which, with my broken German skills I can make out as "Work means freedom" (?)
2% said it was a beer....

I'd put it down to their history classes in school, apparently, they're diabolical.
#7 - bbman

Agreed... But then I'd fire the idiot responsible for that article - either he/she's dumb him/herself or he/she can't research properly...

1. 1000 people CANNOT give any meaningful analysis of a country's youth... I know it says over - that just means there were just over 1000 participants or they'd have put a higher number...
2. 2 % of 1000 people are 20, NOT hundreds - not even one... Surely we can all agree you'll find such an amount of total numpties easily...
3. 77 % of the participants apparently got it right... A number that can be improved (and should be), but to use the article's distorting words: nearly 8 of 10 students knew what Auschwitz was!
Omfg...
That news crap is SO retarded.

Check:

"More than 1000 high school students aged between 11 and 16 were asked what they knew about Auschwitz"

Then they jump to the solution that just beacuse some of that 1000 people thought somehow it's like this:

"It estimated that among Britain's 4.5 million 11- to 16-year-olds, 90,000 believed Auschwitz was a drink and 45,000 thought it was a type of bread."

Jesus christ, they are more stupid than the people they asked about Auschwitz ...
#9 - 5haz
They don't teach you about the Holocaust until you're in year 9 or 10 usually, so the percentage of high school students who are below those years obviously aren't going to know anything about it.

Also, because schools don't have forever to teach you history, they focus on particular parts of History that they chose from a selection, so some people get to learn about the Holocaust and others don't get to do a single thing on it.

Just shows you how statistics can be twisted to talk total bullshit.
#10 - DeKo
better than the ridiculously high number of people who deny the holocaust ever happened.
Who cares about what happened in the middle ages.
I mean, c'mon... Just live your life.
#12 - 5haz
Nah mate its best we learn about the awful crap that went on there so that we don't repeat it in the future.

And denying the holocaust is a completely ****tarded thing to do, I've been to Auschwitz and I can assure you it alls looks pretty damn real to me.
Quote from blakjekaas :who cares about what happened in the middle ages.
I mean, c'mon... Just live your life.

ahahaha
This bit got my attention:

Quote from bbman :1. 1000 people CANNOT give any meaningful analysis of a country's youth...

Why not? As long as the experiment is carefully designed, the sample is chosen using sound techniques which ensure inference will work, etc etc

e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_inference

I'm not saying that data is reliable, but since we don't have a source for it, we cannot conclude anything regarding its quality.

I agree the article is trash, i.e.

Quote from bbman : But then I'd fire the idiot responsible for that article - either he/she's dumb him/herself or he/she can't research properly...

Most likely the journalist was just cooking up some article to attract attention in the big big world of infotainment. His boss probably told him/her to do so.

I hear stupid things like this everyday when I turn on my TV set to listen to the news, the general public isn't interested in the important things, they're hard to understand and sound boring.

OTOH they like things like the ball-throwing robot to keep your dog entertained
#16 - 5haz
But we are all the general public aren't we?

Or are we in some supierior group of LFS players who are no retards?
I live inside the Kremat I and drink Auschwitz beer while reading the propaganda.
Tbh, we live in today's world. The problem with the educational system is that it's distinctly 20th century..

Move on, teach them about climate change, how to help cut carbon emissions, teach them practical skills, engineering, mechanical, plumbing, electrics.

Cut Algebra and introduce Engineering and I guarantee not only will kids be learning some skills needed in TODAYS world, they'll be much more willing to do so.

Drop History and add Ecology. After all, we're living for tommorow, not for yesterday.
#19 - 5haz
Hopefully that tomorrow wont include another holocaust.

Thats why people need to know about it and how terrible it was, so they think twice before allowing things to go that way again.
We spent about 2 months doing the Hollocaust and the events surrounding it when I was at school.

How is this information relevant in todays world?

Do you know what School does, and what they teach you? They teach you how to pass bloody tests, tests that the government lay out on a set curriculum, about 5% of which regards practical skills you need in every day life. Why bother doing fancy maths, when you have calculators?

After all, how many times do you have £=(2y^8)/50x2 when you go shopping?

Tailor made home schooling, work experience and 'college' style courses are the way forward. Allow children to choose their learning, as the adverts keep telling us, our future - It's in OUR hands, not the hands of a terrible government that know **** all.
History in most schools has already been bastardised into a form of Historiography, luckily for me the A level history department at my school is fantastic but the same can't be said for elsewhere

After learning about the holocaust for the third year in a row up to Year 11 though it was wearing a bit thin
Did they take into account how many of those children were intelligent enough to be insulted at being asked such a stupid question and responded sarcastically? Or perhaps someone who is convinced they will one day be part of a survey being done on behalf of Family Fortunes, and will get a totally random answer into the show.
I believe that the education system is good here, in Ireland, but with terrible curriculum.

When we start secondary school (12yrs old), we are forced to do 10 or 11 subjects. These would contain 4 core subjects: Irish, English, Maths, French (modern language). Then you have subjects like History, Geography, Business Studies, Technical Graphics, Art & Crafts, Science, Home Economics, Metal Work, SPHE, CSPE, Religion. You would usually do 6 or 7 of these subjects, although the choice varies between schools.

Then, when you are 15, you sit the Junior Certificate exam. (Like the GCSE's)

Once you come back to school, you choose 7 subjects to do for you Leaving Cert (equiv. A-Levels). Again, These core subjects are compulsory (Irish, English, Maths & French). The 3 extra subjects you choose, are generally branched out subjects of the ones in Junior Cert. Eg, In Business Studies, 3 subjects branch out from that - Accounting, Economics and Business Studies. With Science, you have Biology, Physics and Chemistry. etc etc.

You have 2 years to complete the course. Then you sit your Leaving Cert. Your best 6 subjects count towards your overall points. These points are vital for getting into University, or College. 600 is the maximum you can get.

Not really sure if this contributed to the thread, but I thought I might aswell give an insight into the education system in Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E ... n_the_Republic_of_Ireland
Get rid of testing, and actually start teaching. Kids are not stupid, they are clever, clever enough to realise they are not being taught anything in school. All they do is copy text from one piece of paper to another, and the moment they finish doing that they forget it. I can honestly say I learnt more from watching TV than I did from my time in secondary school and college. One thing I do remember from school is that the soil in Nepal is erroding, I learnt that in Geography, I have no idea where the **** Nepal is.
#25 - 5haz
Yeah its true that schools teach simply 'for the test', and to get high up on league tables.

One glaring example is Science, the new system works by you learning a 'unit' for a month, then doing a test on it and then moving on to the next 'unit', at the end they add up the results from your tests and that gives you your grade.

This means I walked away from my Science GCSE with two A*s, because I have a very good memory and so it's easy to remember a month's worth of study for a test, but it also means I have virtually no clue about the actual subject, because I simply did the test and moved on.

Whereas with my school's History dept, which uses a more traditional teaching method, I actually know half the stuff I learnt at school.

There's a difference bewteen remembering something and actually knowing something.

(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG