The online racing simulator
#1 - amp88
Map Network Drive Over 2TB On 32 Bit?
I've already asked this question on a PC forum but haven't had an answer yet, so I thought I'd ask here. If I create a > 2TB RAID volume on a PC with a 64 bit OS, will I be able to map that drive as a network location from another machine using a 32 bit OS (either Vista Home Premium 32 bit or XP Home/Pro 32 bit)?

TIA
2TB size limit has nothing to do with 32bit/64bit OS, it's the file format...

But the access of the drive is all done by the host, so the client connecting to it makes no difference. Windows XP 32bit can access drive shares over 2TB absolutely fine
#3 - amp88
Quote from Thorvertonian :2TB size limit has nothing to do with 32bit/64bit OS, it's the file format...

But the access of the drive is all done by the host, so the client connecting to it makes no difference. Windows XP 32bit can access drive shares over 2TB absolutely fine

I'm sorry but I don't know what you're talking about, why would the "file format" determine the limit of a drive volume? Do you have any links to documentation?
#4 - Jakg
Why would there be an issue with over 2TB?
Windows systems are limited to 2TB volume sizes unless they a configured properly (which they aren't by default)
#6 - amp88
Quote from Thorvertonian :Windows systems are limited to 2TB volume sizes unless they a configured properly (which they aren't by default)

At the moment my home file server is running XP Pro SP3 (32 bit). I plan to upgrade to XP Pro x64 and create the > 2TB volume there. I think what you're hinting at is to use GPT? Would I have to use GPT to map a > 2TB volume which was created in XP Pro x64 to my Vista 32 bit or could I use XP Pro 32 bit to map it (without GPT)?
You need to use GPT on the computer that has the hard drives.

The client connecting to the server is completely irrelevant (spelling?)
#8 - amp88
Quote from Thorvertonian :The client connecting to the server is completely irrelevant (spelling?)

Do you know where some documentation for that is, please? As you can probably imagine I don't want to waste time and money to have to revert to the same situation I'm in just now. I've tried searching but I can't find the information I'm looking for...
#9 - Vain
Quote from Thorvertonian :Windows systems are limited to 2TB volume sizes unless they a configured properly (which they aren't by default)

Quote from Thorvertonian :You need to use GPT on the computer that has the hard drives.

That appears to be false information.
Check this Microsoft FAQ, question 6

Vain
I got XP Pro x64 through this morning so I've installed it on the home file server and I just wanted to follow up confirming that you can map network drives larger than 2TB with a 32 bit OS.
Attached images
32bitnetwork.png
Quote from Vain :That appears to be false information.
Check this Microsoft FAQ, question 6

Vain

Only when logical blocks are 512 bytes in size, increase that and increase maximum size.

As I said, windows isn't configured for this be default!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG