The online racing simulator
All of that is fantastic for old-timers and current drivers.

Consider this; one of the major 'problems' at the moment, in my eyes, is lack of a driver base. You do get one or two servers filling to the brim [such as NRD], which is fantastic, but being relatively new to LFS myself [having only come back to LFS recently after something like a two year break] servers such as NRD are quite terrifying prospects.

I feel that you will have to begin embracing the new or newish drivers in their racing abilities. I find it hard to learn from racing online, when I have either bigged up serial-hotlappers weaving around behind me and complaining or a crowd of morons that just can't race.

It used to be easy, as I remember there used to be a fairly constant wave of new drivers which allowed groups to effectively race and learn together on a server. Now, it's such a confusing mess of abilities, morons and aliens its impossible to find your ground.
I've read my way down the beginner forum, and one of the suggestions was '...are you worried about how slow you are? Ask someone to give you a few pointers or some help on the server'. Well, I've asked on pretty much every server I've been on so far in the last two months, but no response at all.
All of this leaves me feeling left out in the wilderness. And I'm definitively sure that I'm not the only one.

Drawing inferences with the age old Grand Prix Legends, when I first started out I found myself able to go to driving schools and have lots of help from fellow drivers on the server. Making a mistake that damaged someone elses race didn't result in a flurry or random abuse, and if you were slow, even the faster drivers would slow down and race with you just to give you some experience. Post your replay over at RSC, and you would recieve very constructive help in where you need to go in order to be faster.

Until a friendly and welcoming attitude can be found both on here, the forums, and on the servers I think LFS [and more the people of LFS] are going to ward of more and more new drivers.
Quote from JWRPayne :I've read my way down the beginner forum, and one of the suggestions was '...are you worried about how slow you are? Ask someone to give you a few pointers or some help on the server'. Well, I've asked on pretty much every server I've been on so far in the last two months, but no response at all.

I find that hard to believe. There's almost always someone who at least offers to send you a setup. Granted, they may not take the time to spectate you and give you realtime advice. After all, they're in a race themselves.
Quote from JWRPayne :Post your replay over at RSC, and you would recieve very constructive help in where you need to go in order to be faster.

Plenty of people have done that on these forums, and most of them have had constructive criticisms on their driving. If you post your question in a sensible way you're sure to get a friendly person to lend you a helping hand.
Quote from JWRPayne :
Until a friendly and welcoming attitude can be found both on here, the forums, and on the servers I think LFS [and more the people of LFS] are going to ward of more and more new drivers.

I think a lot depends on how "new" drivers present themselves. Like I said before, if you ask for help or advice in a sensible manner someone will surely take some time to help you. However, if a person joins a server in the middle of a race, immediately demands that the driver in 1st (or the driver with the fastest laptime) send them their setup, then asks again if they did not get it within 10 seconds, etc... then yes, people will be more reluctant to help you out.

On the Dead Men Racing server we welcome racers of every ability, as long as they have common sense and are serious about racing. People are more than happy to share setups and tips, and will sometimes spectate you as you do a few laps to give you pointers. On the other hand, if you're a plonker without the faintest idea of how to drive/race properly, posing a danger on the track then you'll get booted pretty quickly. It usually doesn't take long for us to figure out what kind of a person someone is
Then I feel your server is one of a minority, Obsolum.

However hard it may be to believe my account, it is entirely true. Alas, I am not one of these 'demanding' newbs you speak of. I have plenty of common sense and previous online experience to tell me that an approach like that isn't going to get me anywhere very quickly [apart from kicked out the server, as you said!].

I appreciate what you say about the sensibilty of asking for help on there forums. However, you must consider the approachability of these forums, also. You all impress me as a bunch of fairly tight-knit friends that are used to racing with and against each other.
You must admit that the forums have changed in their outlook over the past couple of years? Can you see how hard that may be for some to try and break into?

I also admit that there are some new drivers that present themselves foolishly and rightly deserve to find their own way. Of those that remain, though, I find it hard to believe that you expect them [again, considering the nature of the forums and servers] to have such an open and care-free attitude towards you guys and racing.

I think it's time you guys started looking outwards instead of inwards. I can understand the frustration with the lack of developments with regards to the simulator itself, but beyond the few suggestions being thrown about in this thread there isn't a lot more you can do.

All I am saying is why not start a racing school server with a few experienced of you just hanging around and offering a helping hand and advice?

Why not
have a server that is based purely for the 'newbs' of the LFS world, make a big song and dance about it on here and see what happens? Instead of having servers that warn 'You MUST be able to lap under 1:17 to race here!!!11' have servers that warn 'PBs 1:17 and over only'. Surely you guys could expand your horizons slightly and gain enjoyment from helping someone become fast instead of notching up another one on your LFSWorld wins list.

I mean, point in case. I was driving on one of the numerous BL1/FBM servers the other day, and a guy that was clearly new was falling behind me at quite a rate. I pulled over and waited for him, dropped a chat message telling him we should have a little race of our own and off we went. Even though he was 5 seconds a lap slower than me and even though this was first sim and even though he had only started that day; we had an awesome time! Whenever he spun, I just waited and off we went again. Not only did it leave him feeling happy [considering his messages] but he also dropped his PB down by a second purely the little advice I could give him and the time I spent showing him lines through corners and being friendly. I'm not racing genius, but isn't that fantastic?

I think it is a hopeless dream for myself and others, but if it ever did happen, I believe it really would broaden the opportunity for the diversity of classes and tracks on servers as a result.
There is a way that works fine: leagues and championships.

Public servers, without hard and heavy administration, tends to go bad, due to wreckers, dirty and unfair behavior, etc.

Another sugestion: make a financial fund, buy the CTRA and put it back to life.
There's no way to learn other than to just dive in. The tutorials aren't all that much use but will get you to grips with some of the cars, which is a start.

Single player (without bots) is the best way to learn a track. Even if you don't spend hours learning every curve; log in, check what the server's running, log out, load up that track and do a couple of laps. That way you know roughly what to expect, even if the details aren't down.

Other than that, the best bet is to find a car on the combo that isn't going to suddenly step out on you (stuff like the XFG, FXR, RB4, UF1, etc) so that you're not going to accidentally take someone out if you push too hard, brake early and gently so people have the chance to go round you.

After I got my S2 license, my first online experience was BL1 with the FXR. It was a GTR combo and pre-balancing but I picked the car I thought would be most noob friendly and just hit the track. Being BL1 I already knew the bends and braking points and after a couple of 7 lap races I was finishing in the middle of the pack. Sadly I don't seem to have improved beyond that since I still finish in the middle now
I like to go onto servers where theres no car restrictions. I think its a lot of fun on those types of servers. If there were a few more servers with no car restrictions just for fun Im sure more people would join them. But please add more servers with no car restrictions for the long versions of Kyoto ans Aston.
It's not really racing on servers where every car is enabled though. No matter where you are, some pillock will stroll in and do laps on the BF1 and win the race before you've even finished lap 2 in your UF1

More cars to choose from is better, but only if they're balanced. And all cars enabled only works if you're messing around. I'd recommend just starting a practice session for all-cars rather than a race.
Quote from Dajmin :It's not really racing on servers where every car is enabled though. No matter where you are, some pillock will stroll in and do laps on the BF1 and win the race before you've even finished lap 2 in your UF1

More cars to choose from is better, but only if they're balanced. And all cars enabled only works if you're messing around. I'd recommend just starting a practice session for all-cars rather than a race.

++

it's no fun going on drag servers where everyone is driving the bf1.
Quote from McDee :That's the spirit! oh wait, it's not.

Next!

Sorry what?

The fact is that no matter what happens to server organisation in general, until Becky's "Blue2" is out, people will race on the same sort of servers, time after time. I don't believe that many people would try new things unless they are either enticed (with something like the CTRA's point and reward system) or forced, by their old favourite server closing, as in the case with myself and CTRA. CTRA shut down so now I'm on NDR/RSR TBO until something better comes along.

Now, I know this may not be the case for everyone, but seriously, the same amount of people will be playing, just spread out across different servers, so I don't get what you're actually trying to achieve. You're forgetting many of the empty servers are either test ones, or dedicate ones people have set up for themselves.
Reading some posts above, I start thinking that there is no future for the servers anymore, I mean a future where we can find that old spirit.

How many people here are really talking about racing, not just party or happy hour?

I have nothing against who like to make a chat with the friends, and use the server just for relax doing what he likes to do.

But the problem, for me, is that it is pratically all we find today.

Or you can wait for leagues events...

I think racing is racing, not drag, drift, cruise, hotlaps... those are variations that has nothing with racing at all.

Racing is iRacing, as an example.

You do your qualify, you get in the track, and drive your car against other. Finish.

Racing is fun, but is also serious, asks for concentration, there are rules, and there is an exact objective that you can't find on the majority of the servers that crowd the looby today.

I miss servers with TBO class at WE, I'd like to see races with RAC at FE, battles of UF1 at AS Club, and etc. But I don't find this kind of combos anymore. And that has been for a long time...
Quote from Speed Soro :I miss servers with TBO class at WE, I'd like to see races with RAC at FE, battles of UF1 at AS Club, and etc. But I don't find this kind of combos anymore. And that has been for a long time...

Funnily enough, we are running the RAC at FE Green Rev this week We also had a UF1 on some AS configuration some time ago, which was an absolute blast. Last week was LX4 on AS3, the week before FOX on SO4. Have a look here for a history of the races (click on the weeknumber to see the what the combo was and the results for that race).

Tomorrow evening is the 1 hour race in the RAC. If you're interested, quali starts at 8pm GMT, race at 8.25pm GMT. Be warned, though, that combo is quite a handful! I'm pretty sure most of us are going to be knackered when the race is over It'll be interesting to see how many will join the race, as it's a combo with quite a steep learning curve. It'll be even more interesting to see how many people actually finish the race
Quote from Danke :There's also the "meeting room" thingie in the server list browser. People who are trying to find a race could go there to figure out which server to join. The few times I've gone in there it's been empty.

I always think that linking this to the official #liveforspeed server on gamesurge would be good. there would always be many people in there then. (Currently there are 76 people in the channel).

There should definately be a lot more people on #liveforspeed.
Quote from zeugnimod :There should definately be a lot more people on #liveforspeed.

i'm already on freenode, and i've been on gamesurge enough in the past to know i hate it.
Whenever I've been on #liveforspeed there were indeed always a lot of people on, but hardly any activity at all. As is usually the case on IRC; the more people on a channel, the less that is actually happening
Quote from obsolum :Funnily enough, we are running the RAC at FE Green Rev this week We also had a UF1 on some AS configuration some time ago, which was an absolute blast. Last week was LX4 on AS3, the week before FOX on SO4. Have a look here for a history of the races (click on the weeknumber to see the what the combo was and the results for that race).

Tomorrow evening is the 1 hour race in the RAC. If you're interested, quali starts at 8pm GMT, race at 8.25pm GMT. Be warned, though, that combo is quite a handful! I'm pretty sure most of us are going to be knackered when the race is over It'll be interesting to see how many will join the race, as it's a combo with quite a steep learning curve. It'll be even more interesting to see how many people actually finish the race

hmmm that is around 17:00 here. It is not a good hour for me, due my work... I will try anyway.
Quote from obsolum :Whenever I've been on #liveforspeed there were indeed always a lot of people on, but hardly any activity at all. As is usually the case on IRC; the more people on a channel, the less that is actually happening

I'd say the chance of people talking is very high between 17pm and 2am every evening/night.

There even was an organized event for people on #liveforspeed on Monday which was a lot of fun.

Everybody join.
I'm thinking that if the NDR boys (if you'd be willing to) would do weekly events. There is a poll each week that is a new car/track combo..

For 6 days, people would vote on this and on the 7th day, an event could be held on this track.

I'm thinking event on Saturday and run the vote over the week. That way, there's a higher chance people would play. It'll be some new racing with familiar faces on a server everyone knows.

You couldn't have the same combo twice, and it's be on a car by track basis, rather than a class by track.
stop crusing, start racing
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I'm thinking that if the NDR boys (if you'd be willing to) would do weekly events. There is a poll each week that is a new car/track combo..

For 6 days, people would vote on this and on the 7th day, an event could be held on this track.

I'm thinking event on Saturday and run the vote over the week. That way, there's a higher chance people would play. It'll be some new racing with familiar faces on a server everyone knows.

You couldn't have the same combo twice, and it's be on a car by track basis, rather than a class by track.

I'm inclined to do this.....but I'd be more inclined if you'd donate. :P

I'll talk to Jackson about this some.
Not going onto cruise servers?

One good (surprisingly)thing already happened, CTRA closed...
Quote from dekojester :I'm inclined to do this.....but I'd be more inclined if you'd donate. :P

I'll talk to Jackson about this some.

I'd donate time and manpower. I can't even afford some new rubber for my bike, let alone anything that's not a bare necessity, so money is out of the question ATM.
Quote from Luke.S :Is the reports box full of you?

If we had the facility to report fails, then it would be.

Quote from Fuse5 :Err.. Correct me if I'm wrong, but CTRA had nothing against noobs, on the contrary.. thats what race 1 was for. Denoobifying

You've got it wrong.

noob = New person

n00b = Idiot

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG