The online racing simulator
One month free iRacing
(217 posts, started )
The way I see it, receiving small slap on the hand when you cut corners too deep is ok. It also keeps the times more in line with real laptimes, on Infineon IRL layout you could probably gain almost a second if you could just curb-jump through that chicane.
They still need to do something about that last turn on the IRL layout, you can really cut the heck out of that corner...
Quote from Crommi :The way I see it, receiving small slap on the hand when you cut corners too deep is ok. It also keeps the times more in line with real laptimes, on Infineon IRL layout you could probably gain almost a second if you could just curb-jump through that chicane.

You really have to show me how you cut corners on the outside sometime...
Quote from bbman :You really have to show me how you cut corners on the outside sometime...

On outside, there's few situations where you could gain some time by going too wide on either entry or exit, using driving line beyond the white lines to carry more speed through the corner. On Aston Historic Reverse there's one corner where fastest line through is to actually take car all the way to "green surface" beyond curbs and as an real-life example there was similiar issue with some F1 GP last year where drivers were using extremely wide exit onto mainstraight from last left-hander, left tires just riding the whiteline or curbs located on right edge of the track.

On iRacing this is currently an issue with Sebring where some drivers actually dive through cones onto pit exit road just to gain wider entry into T1.
Quote from titanLS :They still need to do something about that last turn on the IRL layout, you can really cut the heck out of that corner...

It would be nice to have a more physical or at least accurate line of where you can be and not be "cutting" the corner.

FWIW, I don't know about irl, but in the Nascar races they cut the final hairpin heavily into the paint and right up next to the tires...we need tires in the irl course.
Quote from spanks :It would be nice to have a more physical or at least accurate line of where you can be and not be "cutting" the corner.

FWIW, I don't know about irl, but in the Nascar races they cut the final hairpin heavily into the paint and right up next to the tires...we need tires in the irl course.

Yeah exactly, they just need to throw some tires up when running the IRL layout. As it stands now you can basically turn with all four wheels inside the curb.
Just finished doing some time in practice sessions around Lime Rock. Hmm... that sucked me right in. It was a lot of fun! It was the first time where everything kind of fell into place. A flowing track like LRP is really well suited to the Solstice. The track itself is of course beautiful with all the elevation changes and such. Following around other realistically modelled real cars in my own realistically modelled real car around a realistically modelled track (that I've watched races on so many times on TV) just had me suspending my disbelief like I haven't felt in a while.

I like it.

Quote from PMD9409 :
Yeah, try some other sets, Orion racing team uploads some quality sets.

Warning: You will spin.

I did exactly that. Even got an Adv. Solstice set while I was there. Definitely improved the feel dramatically.

Now I've got some bad news on the subject of spinning...

Quote from bbman :I tried it since Tuesday, and I have some major gripe with the FFB: the bumps are coming through the wheel so hard they're drowning out every bit of Self-Aligning Torque there is...

I agree. In fact, I'm going to have to take that one step farther and ask "just where the heck is the self aligning torque?"

In short, the FFB doesn't communicate oversteer as it's about to happen. I don't feel a subtle change in the weight of the FFB as the car get's a little loose. When the car just starts to oversteer a little bit, I don't feel the natural countersteer in the wheel at all. I'm left reacting to oversteer visually, and fractionally too late. This is all exacerbated by too-light steering. I know the Solstice has powersteering. So does my own car (Miata). When you're pulling near 1G through a turn at the limit, it takes a lot of effort to hold the wheel, every bit of oversteer/understeer does gets transmitted through the wheel, despite power steering and the bumps in the road.

In terms of FFB... the real functional FFB... iRacing falls short of LFS and NKP. A lot of people are equating more bumpy=better FFB, and that really isn't the case. The nuanced way the FFB communicates the car in LFS and NKP is truly exceptional.
I've now spent some time searching through the iRacing forums for FFB-setting tips... I came across TechAde's post in which he explains that setting the overall FFB strength in the drivers amplifies the weak forces, but leaves the strong forces the same... This I used to create a workaround...

I've now set the drivers to 119% and ingame to 3... With these setting I now have quite strong feedback (more than I'd like), but at least the bumps and the tyres are equally strong... Due to the immensely weak forces, just 1 % in every direction makes a huge change, so I can't finetune that any further... The Solstice is pretty much dead now, but then power steering would do that so it's ok...
Quote from Mattesa :In terms of FFB... the real functional FFB... iRacing falls short of LFS and NKP. A lot of people are equating more bumpy=better FFB, and that really isn't the case. The nuanced way the FFB communicates the car in LFS and NKP is truly exceptional.

I've found that messing with the drivers per above (although I don't go as high as 119%) changes this considerable.

Also:
Caster & LFS.
I signed up for the free trial thing 2 hours ago, only recieved the first e-mail, not the second. Has this offer been stopped or what? I saw one person say the second e-mail comes after about 10 minutes, was it like that for everyone?

Cheers.
Quote from Bawbag :I signed up for the free trial thing 2 hours ago, only recieved the first e-mail, not the second. Has this offer been stopped or what? I saw one person say the second e-mail comes after about 10 minutes, was it like that for everyone?

Cheers.

Some got it within an hour, others had to wait half a day or more It's obviously not an automated process. Just be patient
Ah ok, thanks.
Quote from Bawbag :Ah ok, thanks.

I think you'll like it Ray, we need some fast drivers in our Celtic club (Scotland, Ireland and wales).
Service is also undergoing a maintenance right now, so there's no hurry
Quote from AlienT. :I think you'll like it Ray, we need some fast drivers in our Celtic club (Scotland, Ireland and wales).

Who say's i'll be fast.
Quote from Bawbag :I signed up for the free trial thing 2 hours ago, only recieved the first e-mail, not the second. Has this offer been stopped or what? I saw one person say the second e-mail comes after about 10 minutes, was it like that for everyone?

Cheers.

I sent mine out at night I think and got it the next morning.
Yeah, the promotion has been posted on virtualr.net, so there will be quite some requests now... Tim Wheatley commented there that he himself gets all those requests and manually activates them - with today's downtime he wasn't able to, therefore the delay...

One month free iRacing
(217 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG