The online racing simulator
Retro-compatibility question
(11 posts, started )
Hi,

I bought a new laptop but didnt bother to see if it was retro-compatible or not. It's not like I really care but I was just wondering something. If the laptop isnt retro-compatible, I know I wont be able to downgrade to XP but will I be able to install new OS like Window 7?

Thanks in advance.
Windows XP is able to install. I remember, my friend wanted to install XP on laptop what was made for Vista. There was just somekind of protection system. I dont know what kind of, but you could google it.
What protection system? I bought a new laptop a couple months age and it came with Vista. I then put the Windows XP install CD in and booted from it, and I was able to install it without any problems. Any new laptop will be able to run Windows XP, and if it can run Windows Vista then for sure it will be able to handle Windows 7.
I didnt mean like if it can handle Window 7. My friend has bought a laptop and for some reason he couldn't install XP on it because the laptop was 'designed' for Vista. Ahhh it's hard to explain!
#5 - bbman
Quote from Riders Motion :I didnt mean like if it can handle Window 7. My friend has bought a laptop and for some reason he couldn't install XP on it because the laptop was 'designed' for Vista. Ahhh it's hard to explain!

I think your friend doesn't know what he's talking about... I wouldn't know anything that would prevent a new OS being installed onto a wiped HDD...
There's no such thing "Designed for Vista", it's just a marketing phrase used by Microsoft. A laptop can either run Windows or not. The version of Windows is irrelevant. Your friend doesn't know what he's doing because if you can run Vista on a laptop then you can easily format the hard drive and install XP on it.
Ok well. I will wait 'till Windows 7 have been out for a bit of time before I decide wether or not upgrade to it.
Quote from Riders Motion :I didnt mean like if it can handle Window 7. My friend has bought a laptop and for some reason he couldn't install XP on it because the laptop was 'designed' for Vista. Ahhh it's hard to explain!

my uncles laptop has that
I think he means that XP wont install from inside Vista. The Xp installer wont run or will give an error about a newer version of windows being installed and quit.. It will work if u boot from the XP disk tho...
Quote from hazaky :Windows XP is able to install. I remember, my friend wanted to install XP on laptop what was made for Vista. There was just somekind of protection system. I dont know what kind of, but you could google it.

Protection system?

That's just SATA drive. XP can't support it without drivers.
#11 - STF
^ yeah, all you have to do in order to install XP on such a laptop is.. just find the correct drivers for your sata controller, and slipstream them into XP cd. could also work with a floppy / usb pen, i guess.

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG