The online racing simulator
Getting into go karting?
(63 posts, started )
Oscar.
The problem is.
Like reducing oversteer: Countersteer.
Thats not what I meant. I meant mechanikly reducing oversteer.
Again. I say:
First get some years of kart experience and mechanical work.
Then START TO THINK of buying a kart when you got the space, money, time.
Quote from Vinnylegends :Oscar.
The problem is.
Like reducing oversteer: Countersteer.
Thats not what I meant. I meant mechanikly reducing oversteer.
Again. I say:
First get some years of kart experience and mechanical work.
Then START TO THINK of buying a kart when you got the space, money, time.

get years of experience? You don't need any experience to start karting. You get experience by working on, and driving your own kart. It is good to have a go in something reasonable to see if you like first, but other than that not much more experience is needed.

You learn by doing! You don't learn to figure out how to solve chassis issues if you don't know what they 'feel' like. It's like learning to read without learning to vocalise the words. As you know the person driving makes a MASSIVE difference to chassis dynamics, and thus a solution for Driver A doesn't equate to a solution for Driver B

There are plenty of people at the circuit who are more than willing to help a noob out, and also many web forums to make sure a noob gets all the right advice.

I know hundreds, if not thousands of people that have done it this way. None of them have suffered because of this
Quote from Intrepid :get years of experience? You don't need any experience to start karting. You get experience by working on, and driving your own kart. It is good to have a go in something reasonable to see if you like first, but other than that not much more experience is needed.

You learn by doing! You don't learn to figure out how to solve chassis issues if you don't know what they 'feel' like. It's like learning to read without learning to vocalise the words

There are plenty of people at the circuit who are more than willing to help a noob out, and also many web forums to make sure a noob gets all the right advice.

I know hundreds, if not thousands of people that have done it this way. None of them have suffered because of this

Hmm. Yes he can start with 0 experience.
Not recomendable though.
A friend of me is the current Rotax DD2 Master World Champion. He says the same. Its better to first learn the basics of karting and then buying a kart.
I think he should rent 1 first to know how it feels.
Quote from Vinnylegends :Hmm. Yes he can start with 0 experience.
Not recomendable though.
A friend of me is the current Rotax DD2 Master World Champion. He says the same. Its better to first learn the basics of karting and then buying a kart.
I think he should rent 1 first to know how it feels.

Rent one? Spend £500 on a kart for a day? He could buy a kart cheaper than it costs to rent one.

Its cheaper to buy, try, and then sell Vs renting

I agree he should spend time learning about karting, but you said YEARS. I know the real karting world champion and he didn't spend YEARS learning about karting

Spend months learning before you buy - yes. but years - no
karting costs money,

a full season with a second hand kart like rotax-max will cost you around 5000 to 7500 euro's when u race just for fun. if you want to race for the points you realy need a ne kart and a budget between 10.000 and 15.000 or even more euro's.

the best thing to do when you have the money is to buy yourselve into a team. then you don't have to worry about setting up the kart and only focus on racing.

if you don't have a lot of money I would first do training for one or two years and then i would start to think of racing. now youve learned a lot about setting up the kart, sponsors and handling.

i know a lot of karting budgets because i do karting for almost 7 years now indoor and outdoor and had a few opportunities for (inter)national racing like formula ford, formula renault 2.0, superkarts and karting. so i've you have any questions, PM me
well, i have driver a comer cadet a considerable amount outdoors and done engine mechanics on it when i lost all acceleration, a budget lets say, ignoring the cost to maintatain and run, IE, the starting costs kart, suit, boots, tools, trolley, ARKS test, membership at either kimbolton or whilton mill etc... around £3000

also, i know that im new to karting for myself and competitavley, but, i would only think of doing karting if i enjoyed it and have some talent, surley thats what matters, not all the over serious nitty gritty bits.

keep the advice coming

thanks.

oscar.
It all depends how serious he is wanting to take it. I started with minimal experience (probably an hour on little 4 strokes indoors) before I started racing and did reasonably well at club level, finished 3rd in my local club championship 2 seasons. Also gave the Scottish max champion (2002) a run for their money when they came to our local track. The only thing I'd say is, be prepared for a big shock as a cadet is nothing compared to a rotax or TKM!

I had a lot of help from the fact my Dad had raced for years prior to me starting but I also learnt lot through watching motorsport and other karters. Once you grasp the basic understandings of getting round the track quickly it's all about practice and trial n' error.

A very rough figure off the top of my head, my final year racing (jnr max) probably cost about £3-4000 excluding chassis.

If you have the opportunity to race a kart, even on a tight budget I'd jump at it! You'll have a lot of fun and a lot of great memories from it. When I look back to when I raced, I used to get so pissed off with how little money we could spend compared to our rivals. They used to have a couple new sets of tyres a weekend, whilst I'd be using tyres on their 2nd or 3rd meeting! But the satisfaction when you bet them with "inferior" equipment was a great feeling!
Quote from oscarhardwick :well, i have driver a comer cadet a considerable amount outdoors and done engine mechanics on it when i lost all acceleration, a budget lets say, ignoring the cost to maintatain and run, IE, the starting costs kart, suit, boots, tools, trolley, ARKS test, membership at either kimbolton or whilton mill etc... around £3000

also, i know that im new to karting for myself and competitavley, but, i would only think of doing karting if i enjoyed it and have some talent, surley thats what matters, not all the over serious nitty gritty bits.

keep the advice coming

thanks.

oscar.

Are you going Whilton today?
Quote from Intrepid :Rent one? Spend £500 on a kart for a day? He could buy a kart cheaper than it costs to rent one.

Its cheaper to buy, try, and then sell Vs renting

I agree he should spend time learning about karting, but you said YEARS. I know the real karting world champion and he didn't spend YEARS learning about karting

Spend months learning before you buy - yes. but years - no

And may I ask who the REAL World Champion is?
There is no REAL world champion.
Quote from Vinnylegends :And may I ask who the REAL World Champion is?
There is no REAL world champion.

The FIA CIK World Karting Championship represents the championship all the best karters aspire to win. Every kart driver wants to win the championship Ayrton Senna tried so hard to succeed at.

At the moment the current World Karting Champion recognised by the World Motorsport governing body - the FIA - is Marco Ardigo

Rotax call their event the World Finals and NOT the World Championship for good reason Even the Rotax World Final Winner in Senior Rotax has now moved up into KF

anyway enough of the flame wars! I agree 100% time should be taken to learn the ins and outs of karting before any purchase is made but not years. That's silly. Hamilton didn't spend years with his dad learning about karts before he got one. His dad just bought him one and they went racing.
Well, ok not years.
But he must gain alot. I mean alot more experience before buying a kart.
He probably cant handle the power of a 2 stroker. I wasnt even able when I first tried.

( And youre saying so that Dennis Kroes isnt a deserved World Finals World Champion? A World Champion is a World Champion )
Quote from Vinnylegends :Well, ok not years.
But he must gain alot. I mean alot more experience before buying a kart.
He probably cant handle the power of a 2 stroker. I wasnt even able when I first tried.

( And youre saying so that Dennis Kroes isnt a deserved World Finals World Champion? A World Champion is a World Champion )

He's DD2 Grand Final Winner not Karting World Champion. A deserving DD2 Grand Finals Winner yes! It's not even called a World Championship by Rotax it's called 'MAX Challenge Grand Finals'

Within the FIA CIK framework there is only 1 World Karting Championship! That is just a fact. I am 90% sure if you ask Dennis "what would you rather win - the Karting World Championship, or the DD2 Grand Final?" he would choose the former!

I've seen kids drive 2 strokes with hardly any experience. Yes caution should be taken but a Jr TKM or Jr Rotax is out of this world for a novice to pick up and go. Of course don't jump in and think your senna though
Quote from Intrepid :A world champion isn't a world champion.

He's DD2 Grand Final Winner not Karting World Champion. A deserving DD2 Grand Finals Winner yes! It's not even called a World Championship by Rotax it's called 'MAX Challenge Grand Finals'

Within the FIA CIK framework there is only 1 World Karting Championship! That is just a fact. I am 90% sure if you ask Dennis "what would you rather win - the Karting World Championship, or the DD2 Grand Final?" he would choose the former!

I've seen kids drive 2 strokes with hardly any experience. Yes caution should be taken but a Jr TKM or Jr Rotax is out of this world for a novice to pick up and go. Of course don't jump in and think your senna though

Haha, Actually he would say none. I want to have fun.
sorry to have been away, bt internet is a nightmare, couldnt b at whilton as i live in surrey :P, um, i want to take it all very seriously but not worryin bout winning so much as just having a good time.

thanks guys

oscar.
Quote from oscarhardwick :sorry to have been away, bt internet is a nightmare, couldnt b at whilton as i live in surrey :P, um, i want to take it all very seriously but not worryin bout winning so much as just having a good time.

thanks guys

oscar.

The first step you must take is driving, Drive those KM's and those Miles until your kart runs out of gas and rubber!
But what is your budgets maximum?
as little or as much as is needed, my dad seems to think
Quote from oscarhardwick :as little or as much as is needed, my dad seems to think

Bull..
You can never drive enough km's.
More More More is always needed!
So you can learn more and more!
well, if you know anything else let me know, i have ordered the starter pack and will keep you informed on my progress.

thanks

oscar.
Quote from oscarhardwick :well, if you know anything else let me know, i have ordered the starter pack and will keep you informed on my progress.

thanks

oscar.

What starter pack?
yeps, thats the one, what advice can you give on the arks test?
Not much really, as I said in one of my previous posts I drove around the track in my kart for a handful of laps and did a 10 question multiple choice paper afterwords which was basic stuff. Sort of questions you'll get are ones on difference between stationery yellow and waved and other simple stuff.

Guess it depends, the ARKS tester had seen me do plenty of laps around the track beforehand so knew I was competent and safe enough so maybe I didn't go through the `full procedure.`
Arks is Pips, All you need is commen Sence and to know the flags.

i dont think the driving matters a lot, just be safe, speed isnt the main thing.

(my friend drove out the wrong way of the pits.. they still passed him)

im pretty sure if you know how to brake and accelerate (and go the right way round the track)
You will have it in the bag.

Might even see you as a champion, you never know!

(if you end up in f1 though, just remember the name Jordan2007)
Quote from Jordan2007 :Arks is Pips, All you need is commen Sence and to know the flags.

i dont think the driving matters a lot, just be safe, speed isnt the main thing.

(my friend drove out the wrong way of the pits.. they still passed him)

lol where?

I was one of the lucky drivers who got a licence pre-ARKS so didn't get to spend hundred and odd quid. wey heY!
He was at Sandown park. Hes a good driver now.

Getting into go karting?
(63 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG