The online racing simulator
#1 - RS1T
LFSw support for ALPHA channel skins
This would be quite simple to implement, if LFSw allows users to upload JPGs and DDS skin files, so others can see skins with sunroofs.
i personaly don´t like that idea
we all know the alpha layer bugs and it ll becomme realy dangarous to not see flying tires because anyone has a transparente car + smoke + all other tuched objects

(but mabe i would like to see that if lfs gets direct x9 suported! (in some thousand years))
Official support for a bug in game?!
You are not serious.
I think the only usage for alpha channel in skins should be the amount of shine.

ie. no alpha = matte color, but if alpha = shiny color. But of course there should be some restrictions for how high the reflection is, so the servers couldn't get filled up with chrome painted cars.
Quote from RS1T :This would be quite simple to implement, if LFSw allows users to upload JPGs and DDS skin files, so others can see skins with sunroofs.

I don't want to have to download a bunch of invisible cars which have files larger than the JPGs currently downloaded.
#6 - RS1T
Quote from Shadowww :Official support for a bug in game?!
You are not serious.

Since when was it a bug? The dds files for trees use a transparent alpha channel
Quote from RS1T :Since when was it a bug? The dds files for trees use a transparent alpha channel

It NEVER was designed for car skins.
#8 - RS1T
Quote from Shadowww :It NEVER was designed for car skins.

dds files were designed to have alpha channels, so its not a bug.
Quote from RS1T :dds files were designed to have alpha channels, so its not a bug.

But they +NEVER+ were designed for skins, Mr. Cruiser. Ask Scawen.
Attached images
lfs_00000117.jpg
That looks ..strange
So -1 from me, I like it as it is now.
It's an exploit of the dds file type. Skins used to be JPGs. This 'bug' opened up with the introduction of dds skins to improve "pit-out" stutter. It was not the devs intention to allow see through skins or sunroofs or wonderwoman cars.

The directX modules pick up the ALPHA layer when you put ____APLHA.dds as the filename end. I'm sure this can be turned off somehow, and it probably will get turned off no doubt.

many reasons not to let this go ahead..
  • Uploading dds file would be end up with skinfiles becoming too large. For any decent resolution (at least 1024x1024) the dds file need to be larger than 2mb.
  • The 'bug' itself causes really ugly graphic glitches (missing polygon sides) which wouldn't look professional in a comlpeted product.
  • The sunroofs/invisible panels are not see through from the interior views.
I guess this is my fault?
#12 - RS1T
Quote from JasonJ :It's an exploit of the dds file type. Skins used to be JPGs. This 'bug' opened up with the introduction of dds skins to improve "pit-out" stutter. It was not the devs intention to allow see through skins or sunroofs or wonderwoman cars.

The directX modules pick up the ALPHA layer when you put ____APLHA.dds as the filename end. I'm sure this can be turned off somehow, and it probably will get turned off no doubt.

many reasons not to let this go ahead..
  • Uploading dds file would be end up with skinfiles becoming too large. For any decent resolution (at least 1024x1024) the dds file need to be larger than 2mb.
  • The 'bug' itself causes really ugly graphic glitches (missing polygon sides) which wouldn't look professional in a comlpeted product.
  • The sunroofs/invisible panels are not see through from the interior views.
I guess this is my fault?

I see your points, yeah, this probably isn't the greatest idea then

Shadowww, what was with that Mr.Cruiser remark You do know that i raced a lot of B&J, and i hosted my own RallyCross Championship? You don't know everything. You're starting to annoy me, just because you have over 1000 posts doesn't mean you can push people around
Quote from RS1T : Shadowww, what was with that Mr.Cruiser remark You do know that i raced a lot of B&J, and i hosted my own RallyCross Championship? You don't know everything. You're starting to annoy me, just because you have over 1000 posts doesn't mean you can push people around

This bullshit can be "useful" only in cruise.
#14 - RS1T
Quote from Shadowww :This bullshit can be "useful" only in cruise.

So that means you have to post it like an insult?
No, but you won't need if you won't be cruiser

By the way, around 99% of cruisers HAVE those skins (sunroofALPHA) in they skins_dds, so don't worry your sunroof will be invisible @ cruise.

But wearing that skin once got me banned on serious racing server, 1 sec after i left pits

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG