The online racing simulator
will a server upload textures and skins form tracks to clients ?
hy,

will my nondedicatetd server upload my high-res skins and textures from racingtracks to clients? or will the clients use their won skins?
can a dedicated server upload this stuff somehow?

thx
psypreacher
Quote from psypreacher :hy,

will my nondedicatetd server upload my high-res skins and textures from racingtracks to clients? or will the clients use their won skins?
can a dedicated server upload this stuff somehow?

thx
psypreacher

not at the moment, but some time near the future, seems feasible.
#3 - garph
And I hope never, or at the very least a client side option to disable it.

That's one of the/the worst things about CS, DoD and many, many others. Sitting there wating for textures, sounds, logos and all the other pointless crap to download.
Quote from garph :And I hope never, or at the very least a client side option to disable it.

That's one of the/the worst things about CS, DoD and many, many others. Sitting there wating for textures, sounds, logos and all the other pointless crap to download.

garph, there's a console command for Source and GoldSrc (HL2 and HL) based games to disable the downloading of stuff.. however it slips my mind.
Would be nice with a option to turn this either on or off. Would be cool with people making speciall layouts with suitable texture themes etc, but at same point it should be either a server option or client option to use this, so it's not forced on everyone.
I'm quite sure that at least the banner textures that moved to the pic folder in one of the last patches will be made downloadable from the servers in the future.
Yeah, minor things like banners, flags or other "light" stuff that only is couple (xx kb's) really shouldn't be a question. Problem is when it's several mb's, then the people with slow connections will struggle.
I don't think it'd be a good idea, there are so many different textures being used, over the period of a few months it could quite easily add several gigs to my already over-sized LFS folder.
If something like this was to be implemented, I'm sure there will be an option to opt out of downloading it, much like skins for cars and helmets, but for the time being, if you want others to have the same textures as yourself, you will have to post the specific files online for others to download.
That could also be a solution, limiting it some, like saying you could only upload 3 textures (track textures) at one time. Players would not be able to download it unless it was on LFS WORLD.
TVE, u must be interested in making blooooody textures for DD serverz :]
Quote from dawesdust_12 :garph, there's a console command for Source and GoldSrc (HL2 and HL) based games to disable the downloading of stuff.. however it slips my mind.

I know but I've never been able to disable it all, always ended up having to download something.
I think it's cl_downloadfilter.
Quote from Shadowww :TVE, u must be interested in making blooooody textures for DD serverz :]

Haha No, I am more like curious since I have seen some great work in Trackmania United Forever scenery over internet, and that can be downloaded (or track itself) ..
thx -)
thx for you posts...

imo its a nice feature for private servers... or you can send your friends your textures...
Something like this will be nice:

Edit: Lynce, your bg textures rox, btw.
Attached images
ex.jpg
add on track textures? i have enough lag from downloading skins on connect and/or when others connect...

i'm glad track textures are client-side only.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG