The online racing simulator
Fog?
(14 posts, started )
Fog?
there have been other weather suggestions, so I thought how about fog. add some rain, snow, night and/or wind, and you'll have a really big challenge and have to know the track to prevent crashing.
Fod/mist would be awesome...

There is already a distance fog thingy in LFS, but I think that with some tweaking you could make it closer or further.

Like Light fog (fog at 100m), Mid fog (50m) Heavy Fog (20m).
Or simply a slider bar (like in the setups options) where you could adjust the densit of fog (basically the distance up to which you could see )
^yes!
I just realized something with the distance fog option in LFS.
Indeed, it doesn't add a fog like the usual distance fog you'd see in FPS' or other racing games.

Rather, it adds a filter of less contrast on the background textures (mountains etc).

Which gave me the idea of something that would work like this :

0m______________________/_ _ _\ _ _ _ _ _200m

between 0m and / you'd see normally, with what you usually see when driving (Contrast = 1). Between / and \, it would be the "limit of sight" zone, in which the contrast of the textures that would appear between the two distance marks will be varying linearly between 1 and 0 (0<Contrast<1). Between the \ and the 200m mark, you'd see only grey for all the textures (contrast = 0).

Choosing between Light and heavy fog would determine the width and the position of the /\ zone (light equal longer and further from the mark 0m and heavy means closer to mark 0m and less large). The color of the fog would be determined by the weather you chose (clear day = light grey fog / cloudy afternoon = darker fog).

Do you think it is possible ?
It's a good idea but as for rain and night it needs good 3D effects and well... LFS is still in DX8 so it would take really long to do that kind of effects for Eric
Fog, rain, wind, storms, but snow is unnessesary exept for rally.And afcourse night.Let put this headlamps to good use.
Let's get S2 into a final state before adding glitzy effects that won't add that much. Most drivers know exactly where a track goes so having reduced visibility won't really do much.
You can always suggest these but you know, you want what you can't have
#9 - Nick.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Let's get S2 into a final state before adding glitzy effects that won't add that much. Most drivers know exactly where a track goes so having reduced visibility won't really do much.

I think it'd be great for cruise servers...makes it harder to avoid wrong-siders
Quote from fusion1 :Fog, rain, wind, storms, but snow is unnessesary exept for rally.And afcourse night.Let put this headlamps to good use.

whether changes no matter where you are in real life. not limited to rally. and it's good to try driving in a simulator instead of realife in those conditions unless you are really confident of your skills.
GREAT IDEA!!!! maybe this way there will be less crashing in demo servers. Wreckers won't be able to see you LOL.

On a more serious note. What happens in "real life"? Do they close down the track untill the weather gets better? Could be fun, specially if the weather is variable and the fog doesn't last the whole race.
Quote from BlueMile :On a more serious note. What happens in "real life"? Do they close down the track untill the weather gets better?

Depends of race
I think FOG is easy to program, and would be nice for a long races
Quote from BlueMile :. What happens in "real life"? Do they close down the track untill the weather gets better?

They would most likely continue the race, unless the fog gets to the point where it poses a severe hazard (in terms of seeing other cars, and accidents and the flags) to the cars racing on track.

Fog?
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG