The online racing simulator
How fast did you go on public roads?
(228 posts, closed, started )
Quote from Klutch :Toyota Soarer
1jzgte version, no shitty V8 :P

Sweet car dude! didnt know they had digital speedo though. what mods has it got?
Quote from JeffR :This is why many high powered sedans are speed limited to 250kph (155 mph), even though they have enough power to go much faster. The Corvette Z06 is speed limited to 330 kph (205 mph), just in case someone soups up the engine. The first year Audi TT is an example of a car with a design flaw that caused the rear end to lift and the car to spin at high speeds in turns, with a few incidents on the autobahn (the next year model added a rear spoiler and adjusted the suspension for understeer).

The 155mph speed limiters are part of an informal agreement between car manufacturers and government bodies (namely German) to restrict the top speed of cars primarily on the Autobahn on grounds of safety, it has nothing to do with the ability of these cars to be driven at very high speeds, many of the cars are later redistricted and some cars are still sold without the limiters. A well designed road car should not be able to drive itself into catastrophic lift. IIRC the issue with the TTs was at least partly that they were not setup with sufficient understeer for the typical morons who drive such cars fast without a clue, and subsequently were made into the horrible things they are today with both aero and supension changes.
Quote from JeffR :This is why many high powered sedans are speed limited to 250kph (155 mph), even though they have enough power to go much faster. The Corvette Z06 is speed limited to 330 kph (205 mph), just in case someone soups up the engine. The first year Audi TT is an example of a car with a design flaw that caused the rear end to lift and the car to spin at high speeds in turns, with a few incidents on the autobahn (the next year model added a rear spoiler and adjusted the suspension for understeer).

AFAIK, the 155mph "gentlemens agreement" limit was put in place to a) stop maximum speed wars from German manufacturers (just as the voluntary 276bhp thing was in Japan) and to stop spiraling production costs.

Let's face it, if your car is going to do 200mph as opposed to 155mph, you're going to need much better components, which will increase the cost to the buyer.

As for inherant instability, Audi TT anyone? (Everyone seems to have forgetten the whole hoo-har about that a while back).
40mph downhill on a push bike .
Quote from R34king :Sweet car dude! didnt know they had digital speedo though. what mods has it got?

Not my car, brothers.

Exhaust
Aftermarket ECU + Tune
Apexi power intake
FMIC
stage 1.5 Shiftkit

284rwhp with mass heatsoak on a hot day after a tune..so its more like 290+ when it hasn't been sitting on a dyno for an hour
Quote from ajp71 :The 155mph speed limiters are part of an informal agreement between car manufacturers and government bodies (namely German) to restrict the top speed of cars primarily on the Autobahn on grounds of safety, it has nothing to do with the ability of these cars to be driven at very high speeds.

Maybe so, but a lot of sedans would be unstable somewhere around 175 mph or more.

With this gentlemans agreement, then why the exceptions?

German cars: Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren 722, 209 mph. Audi R8 186 mph. Others: Aston Martin DB9 186 mph. Corvette Z06 198 mph. Corvettte ZR1, 205 mph. Dodge Viper 202 mph, Ford GT 205 mph, Nissan GTR 195 mph, Porsche GT2 204 mph. Then there are the ultra exotics like the Koenigsegg CCX, 240mph, Ferrari, Lamborghini, ...

There was a gentlemans aggreement on the high end motorcycles, to limit them to 186 mph (300 kph).
About 95 on the way back from the Race Centre event, confirmed as about 92 by the satnav. I only let off the gas because I was riding on my spare wheel
the fastest I've ever gone was 140 mph in my mothers lexus ES300. My car tops out at 130 but old camaros get very squirrelly at that speed so I usually never go above 100 in that car.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :£550 TPFT... 160mph and 0-60 in 3 seconds.. aged 17. FTW

I assume you're not talking about your Z750, since those are some very very optimistic numbers, even more so since you only have 33bhp to play with!
@S14 drift....

160mph?, lol, maybe in your dreams
I once was president, and I rode rockets for work at the light of speed while nuking china on the way.

In my dreams, yes.
Quote from T.J. :No harm done by posting these pictures.. Nobody can prove when and where it is taken..

It's not that fast. My 3cilinder car can get to that speed if the straight is long enough. And this is about the fastest i have driven (i don't count sitting in the cars with others, then speed has been way higher)
yay - willy waving!
I done 130mph in citroen AX GT downhill. i never knew how fast it went.
The speedo goes at 130mph @ 4000rpm in top gear, but the rpm was at 5500rpm. i guessing around 140mph. Car never felt the same next day, i sold it.
I think Biohazard has a point. The thread might end up turning into a competition and result in some dangerous driving. I don't think anyone can be seen to condone that kind of behaviour. I'm not reporting the thread but I can imagine that someone will eventually.
At least this thread points out the mentally challenged from the grown-ups. I hope one day your sense of action and consequence develops enough to make you realise how stupid excessive speeding is, preferably before you end up in an accident killing or crippling others.
Speed generally doesn't kill, however, inappropriate speed does.

Me doing 160mph on an Autobahn is probably safer than me driving 40mph down a country road.
#94 - T.J.
Quote from marzman :It's not that fast. My 3cilinder car can get to that speed if the straight is long enough. And this is about the fastest i have driven (i don't count sitting in the cars with others, then speed has been way higher)

That is the fastest i could prove that I have driven...
#95 - T.J.
Quote from Dajmin :I think Biohazard has a point. The thread might end up turning into a competition and result in some dangerous driving. I don't think anyone can be seen to condone that kind of behaviour. I'm not reporting the thread but I can imagine that someone will eventually.

If somebody takes this thread as a challenge, they should really make their own thread with LFS max speeds or something.. I made this thread for fun, not for competition..
It also does show how many people are thinking speeding and such things are not a big deal. It's not like i'm really surprised, but i would have thought there are more people with common sense.

Look at this thread... and how many think it's cool to post a picture of how fast they went. Or how cool it is that they've once managed to overtake several cars in one go, while going way above the speed limit.
Look at the other thread about the "rant about stupid drivers" where people openly say that they think hitting another car on purpose is a reasonable thing to do... etc.

The scary part is that those people seem to be not just a small minority, it's a good percentage of the replies in those threads. I remember when most replies in such threads were from people who had some common sense, with the exception of one or two "idiots" who thought speeding is something cool. Now it feels like 50% are idiots. Idiocracy anyone?
Quote from jibber :It also does show how many people are thinking speeding and such things are not a big deal. It's not like i'm really surprised, but i would have thought there are more people with common sense.
(...)
The scary part is that those people seem to be not just a small minority, it's a good percentage of the replies in those threads. I remember when most replies in such threads were from people who had some common sense, with the exception of one or two "idiots" who thought speeding is something cool. Now it feels like 50% are idiots. Idiocracy anyone?

But... speeding isn't that big of a deal. There's a difference between saying speeding is "cool" and saying speeding isn't a very big deal. Does speeding make you cool? Hell no! Especially not if you do it for the sake of being cool, then you're a complete retard. But... people speed. A lot. Every day. Just a part of life, IMO Yes, sometimes people get killed because of it. But then again, a lot of accidents with fatalities or serious injuries occur when driving under the speed limit as well.
It's usually the people saying speeding isn't much of a deal that are there most dangerous people on the road, simply because they really don't give a damn. You may hate me for that statement, but you have to some sort agree with that one.
Quote from danowat :Me doing 160mph on an Autobahn is probably safer than me driving 40mph down a country road.

depends... my barber (who clearly chose the wrong profession seeing as hes heterosexual has a wife kids and likes choppers with tyres wider than what youd expect to see on a lamborghini) once told me about his adventure on i think it was a hayabusa on a 3 lane practically empty strech of autobahn with 3 cars in the right lane which within seconds turned into a death trap that forced him to open up the infamous 4th lane to avoid crashing (after which he spent about 10 minutes trembling and hugging his knees at the next exit)
Quote from The Very End :It's usually the people saying speeding isn't much of a deal that are there most dangerous people on the road, simply because they really don't give a damn.

That's what you say. I don't think speeding is a big deal because I see it everyday, wherever I go. However, personally I rarely speed in the car anymore, and if I do it's with moderation. If someone wants to speed then that's their business. I think it's important to realize that speeding doesn't necessarily equal driving like a dickhead with complete disregard for other people. It depends on where and when you do it, and to what extent.

And no, I don't hate you for making that statement because it wasn't directed at me, and even if it was you don't know anything about me so your statement would hold no value whatsoever
This thread is closed

How fast did you go on public roads?
(228 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG