The online racing simulator
Potentiometers
(16 posts, started )
Potentiometers
ok, im thinking about making some pedals, and was jsut researching
for potentiometers. when i make the pedals, how/what am im going to use/do to give it usb connectivity?
i kno i have to use potentiometers but how will i have to wire it to connect to a USB port? or my DFP? (i also dont plan on stripping any part of my DFP down)
i stripped down an old old ps2 pedals, and i noticed the rotary potentiometers they used, and it had 3 terminals to connect wires to, what do each of them do?
yep, i just need some help and clarification
i was also thinking, if i make pedals, shuld i use rotary pots or sliding pots?
i was thinking of designing my pedal layout something similar to finmotions pedals but hanging down and changed around a bit for better resitance, would a sliding pot or rotary pot be a better choice in this case?
thanks!
#2 - zeeaq
not very sure of which pot u shld go for....all i know is sliding pots may not last long....think u shld go 4 rotary ones......i currently use a KB..planning to make myself wheel and a set of pedals.....see if this cld help u..

PS - have u heard of a gameport to usb converter...u may wanna give it a go.
Attached images
schema.jpg
PS - have u heard of a gameport to usb converter...u may wanna give it a go.[/quote]

why so?
#4 - Vain
Because the gameport is pretty simple to wire up. The more complicated gameport-usb-wiring will be done inside the usb-connector, so you won't have to think about the usb-standard.

Though I never read the usb-specification, so I have no clue how complicated it is.

Vain
#5 - zeeaq
i have not tried making use of usb for home made wheels/pedals ....since u need usb connectivity...u cld finish off the entire thing with a gameport male pin..as in the pic i posted above...and then use a converter to plug it in the USB.......just as "vain" explains
For USB you can use Codemercs's chips. I think there are other solutions too.

Potentiometers come in contactless (hall-effect) flavours too but they are expensive.
#7 - zeeaq
Quote from SladiVadi :For USB you can use Codemercs's chips

wht exactly are those??? ....cldnt google out ny info on them....
hm, so how would i go to connect the wires from the potentometer to the gameport?
and those gameports, anywhere i can buy them? radioshack?
u'll find the pots and gameport connector (male) at any electronics/computer hardware store......u'll have to solder wires from the pots to the connector pins....

i havent tried radioshack...maybe u'll find it there
hm.. would home depot have what im looking for? :]
in case anyone knows
#12 - Gunn
Go to an electronics store, pots are cheap. Tell the salesperson that you want pots to build an analogue game controller, not a radio. They'll cost a dollar or two each (the pots, not the salespersons!). Get at least 100k pots (100k Ohms resistance).

Here is a link to help with your pedals.
thanks for the info and the help!
sorry if im asking to many questions, but i was thinking, would it be possible to connect my pedals to the DFP? i found the momo pinout layout (whcih supposedly is the same for the DFP) but i was wondering if i would be able to add a clutch pedal too, it seems like there are only 7 pins to connect to, and was also wondering if anyone knows a website to order these from?
thanks!
try not to use usb ports one wrong wire connection and its bye to ur mother board i fry my board just playing arround with a usb mouse
Potentiometer? What does it do?
I'd like to know what is the advantage of having a potentiometer?
At the moment I've got a logitech MOMO wheel.
Is it going to be an advantage please??
i dont know what you mean if it will be an "advantage" unless you just dont get the term.
your momo has potentiometers.
potentiometers (pots) is just a device that calculates resistance and sends the information to whatever, in pedals you want to calculate the the pedal travel and you can use pots (most common to use at least) to measure the pedal travel. same thing on the steering wheel too, it measures how many degrees you rotate the wheel.
(annyone can correct me if i got any info wrong)

so the advantage of having a potentiometer would probaly be, cheap and its required, unless your using a different method.

Potentiometers
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG