The online racing simulator
Michael Phelps caught smoking marijuana
(36 posts, started )
whats the world coming to if a successful olympian cant even go out and smoke a bong or 2 and have a few drinks without having his life ruined? Atleast he didnt kill anyone or molest any children.
It's not about the person, it's about how the image of that person is presented to the public. Typically, people don't like too much ambiguity ('winners don't do drugs') so sponsors automatically become uneasy whenever something like this happens which could confuse the clean cut image they're trying to project onto people- the simpler the image ('winner'), the more forceful it is as an advertising aid. That's why the advertising world is a world of perfect surfaces and brilliant white TV smiles- it's just simpler that way.
Quote from Electrik Kar :It's not about the person, it's about how the image of that person is presented to the public. Typically, people don't like too much ambiguity ('winners don't do drugs') so sponsors automatically become uneasy whenever something like this happens which could confuse the clean cut image they're trying to project onto people- the simpler the image ('winner'), the more forceful it is as an advertising aid. That's why the advertising world is a world of perfect surfaces and brilliant white TV smiles- it's just simpler that way.

Yep, that's exactly it. "We can't have this guy promote our tooth-paste! I mean... although he's won 8 golden medals and is basically a superhuman, he did DRUGS ONCE BAAAWWWWW. People might associate our tooth-paste with the drugs!"
Not a big deal, a lot people do it.
Who cares? He's still a world champion...
#31 - th84
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Who cares? He's still a world champion...

That is actually the Olympic champion as a baby in your avatar. I still haven't figured out why he switched to a bong.
"I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment,"

Yeah, like allowing sponsors to own your arse, and feed you nuts like a monkey in a cage. Be a man and take back your life.
Quote from nihil :"I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment,"

Yeah, like allowing sponsors to own your arse, and feed you nuts like a monkey in a cage. Be a man and take back your life.

He probably has more money in one signing than I will have in multiples of my lifetime. Wouldn't you say that too?
I've just come back from some work in Holland. The Dutch have also brought in the no smoking ban all over, but gotta love the Dutch they just ignore the ban and carry on smoking regardless. Public disobedience I love it.

Anyway on Topic, in some of the coffee shops I visited, just for a coffee of course, they've banned cigarettes but you can still smoke a joint at the bar....gotta love Holland.
Quote from mrodgers :He probably has more money in one signing than I will have in multiples of my lifetime. Wouldn't you say that too?

Honestly? If offered the same amount of money, I'd hesitate without a doubt, but ultimately I would prefer to be free to make my own decisions, without some parasitic appendage telling me to modify my behaviour for the most banal of reasons.

Yeah, we all need money to live, but if the money involved is so great, with so many "strings" that you no longer actually have a life, then tell me what the point would be. Prison is still prison no matter how comfortable.
Quote :with so many "strings" that you no longer actually have a life, then tell me what the point would be. Prison is still prison no matter how comfortable.

It's like these ads which are playing on aussie TV atm, where young olympic champion swimmers caution youth about the dangers of alcohol. The take away message is something like 'live life to the full' which seems incredibly ironic coming from those people as they would necessarily have to be spending almost every waking moment down at the pool!

Michael Phelps caught smoking marijuana
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG