The online racing simulator
#76 - w126
Quote from deggis :And maybe EA needed half-ready game... which Blimey did have - that unnamed Ferrari game. Screenshots from that look very similar to this Shift cockpit shot.

They had also Falcon project, over 2 years in development, and the press release said that only one of their projects survived. It seems Falcon could be planned from the very beginning as new NFS, but all the details were kept secret.
Quote from theirishnoob :
something ive yet to do in lfs.

Remember the neon wheels a while back

Quote from theirishnoob :maybe when that sricocco comes out things might chance but until then

Just head over to the miscellaneous addon's section and you'll find a bunch of dds's to customize your VW
I personally think NFS II, High Stakes and Porsche Unleashed were very good games, and I think most people here agree with this. It's the more recent 'zomg rac0rz lolwoo1337!11oneleven" that I have a problem with. The original Underground (was it the 6th?) wasn't too bad, but seriously, does it need to be reworked ten times? I don't even know what's the NFS count now: is it like 12?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not entirely against the whole mod thing. It could be a good thing, but is it not because it is presented to the customers as 100% 12 year old arcade material. It is in no way representing the real world of modding, which we don't even know what is really like because it's been represented in movies as content 12 year olds would like (which they do). Now, if somebody bothered to release a serious modding simulation game, with content designed for people older than 12, something interesting might be achieved.

The only problem with modding is that it has been worked by crappy movies and video games into a stereotype of a ludicrous world, and most importantly, arcade type racing, even in the movies (let's go fly over some buses with our 12 feet high winged japanese cars, aye?).

So no, we do not want LFS to become just like NFS, because we like our older audience, and the level of simulation we have.
But these big game companies make games to make money, rather than to satisfy a niche market, such as LFS, iRacing and the like.

Some people just want a pick up and play game which is what all the NFS:U and modification gave.

We like serious sims, but the majority of people like arcadey games cause they're not nerds like us.
i like burnout and nfs.. i also like lfs and gt5p, im a mixed person..
hey hey hey
I just found the OG version of the first NFS That game was one of the first great 3d racing games I can remember from so so long ago...being 28 this is the stuff I remember
Quote from Furiously-Fast :Why can't EA (blackbox) just get in into their thick heads? All they need to do is a Underground 3! Underground 2 had loads of sales and high review scores. All they care about is making a 5 min job, and putting it in the shops.

Doesn't matter what name will it have - it will be a fail - once again.

Quote from boosterfire :Now, if somebody bothered to release a serious modding simulation game, with content designed for people older than 12, something interesting might be achieved.

Street Legal Racing Redline.
Quote from Warper :Just to make sure that everyone knows what we are talking about

The Need for Speed
Need for Speed II
(Need for Speed II SE)
Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
Need for Speed IV: High Stakes
Need for Speed V: Porsche

(Need for Speed: MotorCity / MotorCity Online)
Need for Speed VI: Hot Pursuit 2
Need for Speed VII: Underground
Need for Speed VIII: Underground 2
Need for Speed IX: Most Wanted
Need for Speed X: Carbon
Need for Speed XI: Pro Street
Need for Speed XII: Undercover

Regards,
Steffen

I have NFS High Stakes on PS1, U2, Carbon and ProStreet on PS2, and U2 on PC.
Quote from Furiously-Fast :In terms of the NFS series of '09, here is how I may see the schedule:

NFS: Shift - could fail if it is just a Grid clone.

Nitro - Don't have a Nintendo console, but it looks like it'll be an ultra arcade game (not in the Burnout style - which means it's likey to fail too.)

World Online - Once EA offer something for free, it's gonna be an Epic Fail from the start.

Unknown 4th one from Blackbox - If it's not Underground 3, The game will just go downhill each day.

Why can't EA (blackbox) just get in into their thick heads? All they need to do is a Underground 3! Underground 2 had loads of sales and high review scores. All they care about is making a 5 min job, and putting it in the shops.

Are you sure that NFS World Online will be for free? The only thing i read was "free to play" which means for me exactly that. It could be a one off purchace but no monthly fee for playing online like World of Warcraft. Otherwise i dont know why they choosed their words so carefully, never heard about a game which is "free to play". Normally its known as Freeware

Maybe i am completely wrong and they will introduce a complete new business model with this game, maybe something like "SecondLife" where companies can build shops in the virtual world and finance the game like this. In the end just a new business model based on advertisement, even though its a very interesting one in my opinion.

Lets see how this will end up.

Regarding my overall opinion? I would really love to have something like Gran Turismo for PC. A game with nice tracks, nice real cars and a decent physics engine. I am not talking about something LFS like, c'mon it will definitely not be another LFS with different content. Reasons for that where already stated by others in this thread (Mass market). I am looking forward to something like NFS II but with a modern engine and modern cars. Unfortunately i think it goes more into the direction of real racing, what i dont like that much. Give me exotic cars, exotic tracks... thats it for just a fun game like this.

Regards,
Steffen
It's probably going to be "free to play" but you can "buy" extra things such as upgrades, cars and features for money. Typical "con" used by game companies.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :It's probably going to be "free to play" but you can "buy" extra things such as upgrades, cars and features for money. Typical "con" used by game companies.

Also a very likely idea...
^yes i agree.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Typical "con" used by game companies.

Doesn't have to be a con.

Just look at Battlefield Heroes and Level R/Project Torque.

Both are free to play with those trendy micro transactions for extras. While BFH limits those to clothing for your soldier with no impact on gameplay, in Level R you can buy any item with real money, even though you can buy them with ingame money too if you grind races long enough.

I personally like the system because I don't have to pay to be competitive, but I can if I wish to (which I don't, I'm a cheapskate)

On the other hand, that largely depends on what you'll have to pay for in NfS World Online. If it's just optical mods, then I have no problem with it. And seeing that it's from EA, like BFH there is a chance for that to happen.

If so, I am looking forward to win against riced out hideous jokes of cars with my stock looking one
I really loved the first NFS (TNFS to be exact). First racing game I played where you really had to hit the breaks hard and early to deaccellerate your 3500 lbs lambo. A feeling that totally disappeared when that NFS underground crap hit the market.
I also liked the "street race" feeling much. Winding through an Alpine scenery while dodging traffic and running from (incapable) cops gave me an incredible invinceble feeling.
NFS Porsche was the last one I enjoyed. EA lost me after that one.
The first car-related game I've ever "bought" (no, not what you're thinking... it was bundled with my PC :razz was NFS III... and I'm really sorry I haven't used the first two games (too young ).
I loved it so much that I bought my first wheel, a gorgeous Logitech Wingman Formula :heartbeat and really ABUSED it .

I was a real NFS-fan -I bought NFS IV and I loved it, then NFS V and I loved it even more... Then, disaster. Hot Pursuit II. First, my graphic card wasn't powerful enough to run the game smoothly. I switched PC with my father, I played it half a day, then I went back to the older ones. Same for the Underground.
I kind of liked Underground 2, not because of the modding, but because you could drive your car for miles without passing two times on the same bit of tarmac...
Then, the last NFS I bought was Most Wanted. Not so bad... but worse than ALL the other games in the series until then.
I only tried the demo of the last 3... and after Undercover I swore I would never buy again a NFS.
I really hope the next one will return to the origins, of course I will try it when it's out, and if it's worth the price... I'll surely buy it.
^yup, mw wasnt the best but it was fun. prostreet didt get my rentals moneys worth...

Don't blame Need for Speed / NFS
(91 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG