The online racing simulator
Need a new PSU
(17 posts, started )
#1 - ajp71
Need a new PSU
My current PSU (Huntkey 550W) has failed (slightly over a year so presumably out of warranty) in my not terribly high demand computer. I've currently put an Antec 500W one in its place (out of a similar spec PC). So now I obviously need a new one that isn't going to break or break the bank and would it be worthwhile replacing the Antec one at the same time?
#2 - amp88
Named PSUs are much of a muchness these days (in terms of cost, reliability, stability etc). The major difference will probably come in warranty period. Corsair PSUs have a good reputation, I've got on of the HX series which are modular (so you only need to connect up as many cables as you need...you don't have 10 extra Molex connectors cluttering up your case). 'Named' ~500W PSUs will start around £35 and go up to about £55. You would probably be able to get by on a lot less than that unless you have crazy power needs like dual Graphics cards. On replacing the Antec one...how old is it? PSUs generally have quite a long life span of several years so unless it's 4-5 years old I wouldn't replace it at the moment. Of course, if the computer it's in starts having stability issues or randomly crashing for no apparent reason the PSU will be one of the likely suspects.
#3 - ajp71
Ok then guess I just got unlucky/poor quality rather than a PSU that couldn't cope with my demands?
#4 - amp88
Quote from ajp71 :Ok then guess I just got unlucky/poor quality rather than a PSU that couldn't cope with my demands?

When you say "not terribly high demand computer" in the original post I'm picturing either a mid range dual core CPU or a high end older single core CPU, a middle end graphics card, a hard drive, a DVD drive and a gig or 2 of RAM. If that's the case then 550W is more than enough.
Quote from amp88 :When you say "not terribly high demand computer" in the original post I'm picturing either a mid range dual core CPU or a high end older single core CPU, a middle end graphics card, a hard drive, a DVD drive and a gig or 2 of RAM. If that's the case then 550W is more than enough.

i have:

1 duo e8500
2 gb ram
3 hdd's
1 sata dvd-burner
1 8800gt
-----------
and have a lowbudget Ace Raw Deal 620w psu.. a 500w should be enough for u, as i feel this 620 being a little overkill even for me..
#6 - ajp71
Quote from amp88 :When you say "not terribly high demand computer" in the original post I'm picturing either a mid range dual core CPU or a high end older single core CPU, a middle end graphics card, a hard drive, a DVD drive and a gig or 2 of RAM. If that's the case then 550W is more than enough.

Sounds about right. I've got an E6750, 8800GT and 2GB of RAM, 1 hard drive and 2 DVD drives. Nothing has been tweaked or overclocked, just as they came out the box.
#7 - amp88
Quote from ajp71 :Sounds about right. I've got an E6750, 8800GT and 2GB of RAM, 1 hard drive and 2 DVD drives. Nothing has been tweaked or overclocked, just as they came out the box.

Yep, 550W is going to be more than enough for that system. If you're not intending upgrading it much in the future (going for dual graphics cards or a quad core CPU, for example) you could get away with a ~400-450W PSU and save yourself a bit of cash.
whats wrong with the antec one anyway?
I'm raving about the Zalman heatpipe modular PSUs at the moment. Mine is silent - not just quiet, but *silent*. The only way to hear anything is to put your ear a couple of mm away from the fan.
Quote from Shotglass :whats wrong with the antec one anyway?

Nothing but sharing it between two PCs is a bit tricky
#11 - Jakg
Have a look on the Scan "Today Only" page - they often have the FSP 80GLN-700 on there, FSP are a top quality make (and actually do a lot of PSU's that OCZ rebadge), and while 700w is overkill, for about £30 it's great.

Had one running my system when I had an 8800GTX / Quad Core / 6GB of RAM / 4xHDD's / 2x Optical Drives etc without a hitch.
Have a look at one of these. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/133113 It's what i have in my comp. I can't bloody hear the thing it is so quiet. Oh and Jakg it has been raited well in reviews. And it has also been proved to get 700W.
#14 - Jakg
The eBuyer reviews are rubbish - they usually only post the good ones and they usually are done by fools anyway (i.e. "dis PSU is well good i get 100FPS in Crysis thanks to it!")
Quote from Jakg :The eBuyer reviews are rubbish - they usually only post the good ones and they usually are done by fools anyway (i.e. "dis PSU is well good i get 100FPS in Crysis thanks to it!")

I wasn't talking about the ebuyer reviews.
#17 - Jakg
Quote from Luke.S :I wasn't talking about the ebuyer reviews.

Post the ones your talking about then...

Need a new PSU
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG