The online racing simulator
Mika Salo pondering NASCAR
(41 posts, started )
Quote from Blackout :Salo confirmed on an interview for Finnish television channel MTV3 that there has been negotiations for a driver seat for Nascar and he is still waiting for an answer. If he doesn't get a deal, he will be driving American Le Mans series with Ferrari like the past two years.

Source...well, you are screwed with it as it's in Finnish. http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/f1/ ... rkistot/f1/2009/01/790733

This is...interesting...DEI has yet to confirm a driver for the #41 and...they've had a very long silence about the driver...i wonder...
Quote from lizardfolk :This is...interesting...DEI has yet to confirm a driver for the #41 and...they've had a very long silence about the driver...i wonder...

Forgot to mention that he said Nascar being the number one target for him if it works out for this season/year.
Quote from lizardfolk :This is...interesting...DEI has yet to confirm a driver for the #41 and...they've had a very long silence about the driver...i wonder...

Scratch that, I believe they have a driver already...IDK who Salo is in talk with tbh and the NASCAR field is pretty full. Anyway we'll see and if he gets in good luck
I hope he doesn't land a deal and continues with Ferrari to be honest.
Quote from Blackout :I hope he doesn't land a deal and continues with Ferrari to be honest.

That's likely blackout
Tristan's comments are SO true.... NASCAR is a graveyard of washouts. Good NASCAR drivers STAY in NASCAR, they don't go and do anything else... Since when did someone come from NASCAR to win a Single Seater event, or EVEN an ALMS race? (I'm asking for a when and where, not trying to say that it has never happened)
JR Ran the 24 hour Rolex in a Vette, quite a few others have as well. Too tired to get a link... thought he won the GT division.

1 reason why they don't race anything else is they race virtually every weekend from February until October and do testing in between. I doubt anyone would have much interest to run anything else after running 4-5 hour races every week 9 months out of the year. This does not include the sponsorship duty time that most drivers will have promoting products for the their sponsors.

I don't disagree about 'washed out' F1 and other series drivers try to enter into NASCAR, but as you can see the competition is stiff between the teams/drivers, not many do any good in NASCAR either =)

I think the big reason why Tony Stewart did so well is because he's raced pretty much everything under the sun and could adapt well.
Quote from BlueFlame :Tristan's comments are SO true.... NASCAR is a graveyard of washouts. Good NASCAR drivers STAY in NASCAR, they don't go and do anything else... Since when did someone come from NASCAR to win a Single Seater event, or EVEN an ALMS race? (I'm asking for a when and where, not trying to say that it has never happened)

Tristan's comments are true? So since when did the majority of ex-open wheel drivers (non Indy that is) do well in NASCAR?

TBH wash out F1 drivers flocked to Indy, Le Mans and random touring car series as well before NASCAR. Just because NASCAR was a recent trend is hardly a reason against it. In fact I consider that a plus.

Anyways, as far as NASCAR drivers crossing over. I cant think of one who went to open wheel. But as for ALMS and closed wheel GT quite a few comes to mind:

Terry Labonte has been the champion of the 24 Hours of Daytona and 12 Hours of Sebring. The two premier endurance NA races

A.J. Foyt has won the 24 Hours of Daytona and the 12 Hours of Sebring

John Andretti has won the 24 Hours of Daytona

Casey Mears has won the 24 Hours of Daytona

and of course Montoya's recent victory

Who from open wheel or closed wheel sports cars are successful in NASCAR?

Tony Stewart (Indy)

Mario Andretti (Indy, F1) 1 race only, the 500

AJ Foyt (Indy)

Montoya won 1 race only as well (but at a road course)

As you can see there's quite a few NASCAR drivers who won outside of NASCAR. There's plenty more that did well. Jimmie Johnson, Kevin Harvick, Kyle Petty all finished well in ALMS races and there's many more that I dont remember off the top of my head. In fact, in the Montreal race when Andy Pilgrim, John Graham, Niclas Jonsson and Andy Lally decided to race there, the interviewer said that NASCAR drivers were the first to cross over to series like ALMS and ALMS drivers wanted to return the favor in Montreal.
#34 - th84
Quote from th84 :yea, I remember that....

That's at Infineon/Sears Point dummy, 24 hour race is at Daytona!
And I believe his wreck was during an ALMS race, not Grand Am. Might be wrong. Looks like a GT1 car, not an SGS.
#38 - th84
I just wanted a pic of JR burning in the vette. I thought it fit the tone of the thread. Where it was never crossed my mind. :P
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :1 reason why they don't race anything else is they race virtually every weekend from February until October and do testing in between. I doubt anyone would have much interest to run anything else after running 4-5 hour races every week 9 months out of the year. This does not include the sponsorship duty time that most drivers will have promoting products for the their sponsors.

Its not really true that they don't race anything else, they just don't race in big well known series on their off time because its rare that both series are in the same area at the same time. Some drivers race at local tracks during the season as long as its close to wherever NASCAR is racing that week. Drivers also run smaller racing teams or own tracks, so they do have other things going on outside NASCAR.
Sure, I have seen kenseth and Stewart race in Wisconsin while they had a weekend at Michagin, but these races are 'fun' races when compaired to a nationally sanctioned race event they could run.

They may 'own' a lot of things, they sure have he cash for it, but I highly doubt they are in the nitty gritty of managing much of anything while they are racing.
It might be a fun race, but its still their off time that they're using to go racing and bring in a crowd to local tracks. And I don't know about not being involved. A couple years ago I went to a sprint car race at Williams Grove and Kasey Kahne was there with the team he owns. He was in the pits in jeans and a t-shirt working on the car before the race.

Mika Salo pondering NASCAR
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG