The online racing simulator
REALISM - Cut throttle when changing gear!
Hi all...just a quick one.

I was wondering whether this new update will be including any sort of fix that will ensure drivers have to cut the throttle when changing gear. LFS is always trying to create the most realistic racing simulator around (which it has already sucseeded in my opinion), therefore i feel this is a must.

If this is not being fixed in this patch, can everyone just give me their thoughts on the matter.

Thanks
#2 - Vain
When you are going to get a new car after 20 minutes or less of racing then flatshifting is perfectly okay and realistic. In real life you just don't get a new car every 20 minutes.
But I lift throttle for shifting anyway, that makes the car more stable and I can't endure that sound when the engine revs so high - I pitty the poor engine. But propably the LFSserver doesn't even recieve packets often enough to recognize that I lifted off.

Vain
I think the BF1 would have a hideous sound without throttle cut. I could imagine a minor engine damage over just 1 or 2 laps if cut is off, making people turn it on, making the sound of it more realistic. Maybe?
Is the shifting that slow, on F1s?
Why not just use "cut throttle on upshift"?
#6 - Vain
Some people don't like driving-aids and want to drive themselves.

Vain
#7 - KTy
Yeah, me for example, I have analog clutch and full speed manual gearbox (Actlabs), I'm slower than everyone else everywhere, but who caresillepall, *I* am having a great fun making slip the clutch at the start, cornering and so forth...
FYI, i was at a hill climb yesterday and most of the minis and novas (and a few others) were quite clearly flat-shifting, the rev limiters seamed perfectly capable of holding the revs down ok

Troy
IRL, most F1 and GTR cars will automatically cut the throttle when the driver shifts up and blip it when the driver shifts down, so it's no less "realistic".

I use those features in LFS, but only because I race with a joystick, so it's not possible to blip the throttle while braking, and cutting it when upshifting would be very difficult without accidently braking.
F1 cars have semi-automatic sequential gearboxes which don't need a throttle cut on upshift
#11 - VOSS
Quote from SpooSH :F1 cars have semi-automatic sequential gearboxes which don't need a throttle cut on upshift

Actually they do, and there is a cut... but the whole gearchange process is automatic. When the driver selects the next gear with the paddle behind the wheel, the electronics kill the ignition on the spark plugs, and momenterally reduce the load on the gears. The hydraulics engage the next gear, without the clutch being used at all, and then the ignition is turnd back on and the full throttle acceleration continues. This whole process from being flat in say 3rd gear, to being flat in 4th gear takes about 30 miliseconds
#12 - qrac
Quote from VOSS :Actually they do, and there is a cut... but the whole gearchange process is automatic. When the driver selects the next gear with the paddle behind the wheel, the electronics kill the ignition on the spark plugs, and momenterally reduce the load on the gears. The hydraulics engage the next gear, without the clutch being used at all, and then the ignition is turnd back on and the full throttle acceleration continues. This whole process from being flat in say 3rd gear, to being flat in 4th gear takes about 30 miliseconds

there are seamless shifts now but i don't think bmw are using it.
F1 cars really have no connection with the rest of motorsport (despite the bullshitting about it being in road cars). Anyone know if BMW are using the fancy new electronic clutches?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG