The online racing simulator
There is something I really don't understand about the Scirocco delay... I can't understand how we went from an announcement for the availability of the Scirocco in less than two weeks to a delay that now amounts to a month...

Something had to go horribly wrong...
Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Quote from Peaknik :There is something I really don't understand about the Scirocco delay... I can't understand how we went from an announcement for the availability of the Scirocco in less than two weeks to a delay that now amounts to a month...

Something had to go horribly wrong...

Because I think the Scirocco was not the main issue of the delay.

Scawen clearly stated that the first-blueprint of the 0.6A patch did not include all the work that had been acheived since Patch Z.
Since it's been some time already since we had the last 0.6A test patch, and since Scavier is usually faster when correcting them, we can SUPPOSE that they decided to wait for the release and include the "amount of work that has been done since Patch Z".
Quote from Zen321 :Because I think the Scirocco was not the main issue of the delay.

Scawen clearly stated that the first-blueprint of the 0.6A patch did not include all the work that had been acheived since Patch Z.
Since it's been some time already since we had the last 0.6A test patch, and since Scavier is usually faster when correcting them, we can SUPPOSE that they decided to wait for the release and include the "amount of work that has been done since Patch Z".

Wild speculation there. AFAIK there has been no mention of "0.6A" or of the patch they're/he's working on containing anything other than what it is in the current test patch (plus the Scirocco).

In fact Scawen has expressly said there will be nothing extra, no surprises.
Just because Scawen says there will be no extra suprises, doesn't mean there wont be any.

All good things come to he who has the patience of a saint.
Quote from sinbad :Wild speculation there. AFAIK there has been no mention of "0.6A" or of the patch they're/he's working on containing anything other than what it is in the current test patch (plus the Scirocco).

In fact Scawen has expressly said there will be nothing extra, no surprises.

The FBM arrived in patch Y, the test patches before Y final were Xn, the CMX viewer released before Patch Y was called LFS_VIEWER_S2Y.

With the current test patches being Zn, and the viewer being LFS_VIEWER_6A, I thyink it is sensible to assume the next patch proper will be 0.6x (A might get skipped for public release, we've missed other letters in the past).
Quote from 5haz :Just because Scawen says there will be no extra suprises, doesn't mean there wont be any.

All good things come to he who has the patience of a saint.

That would make sense, but then we wouldn't have to wait much more for the patch. I mean, the devs would have to be thinking something like "Ok, we have to make people wait, so let's make them wait a little more and give them something more"...

But I am not complaining... I bought S2 last summer and I can't say that I have "finished" nothing yet, perhaps BL1 + XFG (my best time so far, 1.120 from WR).

This modern culture of ours is addicted to novelty...
the game is good at all, like it even when the scirocco would come out in december 2009
may the force be with you
Quote from Bean0 :The FBM arrived in patch Y, the test patches before Y final were Xn, the CMX viewer released before Patch Y was called LFS_VIEWER_S2Y.

With the current test patches being Zn, and the viewer being LFS_VIEWER_6A, I thyink it is sensible to assume the next patch proper will be 0.6x (A might get skipped for public release, we've missed other letters in the past).

Ahh the viewer. I hadn't seen that. My bad.
It's very rare that they said to release it on 19th of December, and suddenly they see there are a lot of crashes/errors/glitches/bugs... it looks very rare so I have two options:

A: LFS Development Team signed a contract with Volkswagen Audi Group which said anything like ''When you finish the development of Scirocco, we try it, and if it's real for us, you release it'' and the Scirocco it's not too real for Volkswagen Audi Group.

[sarcasm=on]
B: LFS Development Team needed some money, so they said there was a new car for S1 and S2 users, and a lot of people bought it as a Christmas present, specially parents buying it for their children...
[sarcasm=off]
Quote from Tomas Miranda :It's very rare that they said to release it on 19th of December, and suddenly they see there are a lot of crashes/errors/glitches/bugs... it looks very rare so I have two options:

A: LFS Development Team signed a contract with Volkswagen Audi Group which said anything like ''When you finish the development of Scirocco, we try it, and if it's real for us, you release it'' and the Scirocco it's not too real for Volkswagen Audi Group.

[sarcasm=on]
B: LFS Development Team needed some money, so they said there was a new car for S1 and S2 users, and a lot of people bought it as a Christmas present, specially parents buying it for their children...
[sarcasm=off]

Both options are wrong. The deal with VW was that the car would be drivable at the Leipzig gaming convention. The devs kept their end of the deal, so I doubt that VW really has a lot to say in this matter anymore.
Quote from Tomas Miranda :It's very rare that they said to release it on 19th of December, and suddenly they see there are a lot of crashes/errors/glitches/bugs... it looks very rare so I have two options:

[sarcasm=on]
[sarcasm=off]

Both wrong

They told us what the problem was and we, as supporters of the Devs and the LFS project will take their word for it.
Quote from sinbad :In fact Scawen has expressly said there will be nothing extra, no surprises.

That was before the postponement IIRC
Its taking them months to finish "little things" when it takes someone a week or two to build a real car...
But to design, build, test and develop a new car from scratch takes months, if not years.

To build a car from an already tested platform takes hours.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :But to design, build, test and develop a new car from scratch takes months, if not years.

To build a car from an already tested platform takes hours.

lol, I am part of my schools SAE race team... and as a first year team trying to wrap up development...

I UNDERSTAND DELAYS!!!!!!
Finalizing a massive design project SUCKS.
^yay for delays!
I think all dev teams, no matter what they are developing (games/ mods etc), should never announce anything until they are absolutely sure that they can release that week, and so avoid all the hype and over-inflated expectations, if you think its bad here, look at rFactor, especially the GTX-5 mod.

I've got an idea of something we can all do to pass the time until release, fire up LFS, jump in your favourite car and have a jolly good fun race with what you already have, instead of impatiently pacing up and down the forums, near frothing at the mouth.
they should be more like PD. tight lipped and siply relese without notice!
Quote from RedCoupe :lol, I am part of my schools SAE race team... and as a first year team trying to wrap up development...

I UNDERSTAND DELAYS!!!!!!
Finalizing a massive design project SUCKS.

I know about Delays. More specifically I know about delays in programming and testing of development software. In comparison the programs I write for web pages are much, much more simple then the development of a functional Simulated Vehicle. But in more ways then not, the same. Not to say I am on the level of programming the LFS team is on... not even close. Even something as simple as a php scripting can take time to develop and suffers delays because unknown obstacles. Most of the time these obstacles require very minimum work to actually correct, but the time spent finding the fix can easily take tens if not hundred of times longer then the actions of inputting the correct information. Example: I spent 4 fours just yesterday trying to move a application written 9 years ago from our live environment to a test environment for modifications. The fix was a 'true' instead of a 'false' in the configuration file for the web server. Took literally a minute to fix and hours to figure out. In that 4 fours I could have probably made the entire modifications for the upgrade and been testing for bugs.

My Point is this:
This is the scale that all of us need to consider when blasting, bitch, crying, moaning, flaming and what have you when a new feature doesn't show up on time. I can't think of one time when anything programming related is on time and perfect when it gets there. If a person makes it, it is flawed. The LFS devs just hold them selfs to a higher standard then most do to increase the quality a notch above the rest. So it takes a bit longer get done. I'm just happy to see a software development team not taking shortcuts and giving into pressure.

Jay Odom
Patience. < find some.
Tomorrow is Friday again.
will the scirocco be available to all drivers from demo to s2?
Quote from nilo :Tomorrow is Friday again.

lol

Quote from CosworthRacer :will the scirocco be available to all drivers from demo to s2?

No. S1 and S2 only.

Quote from Scawen :You will need an S1 or S2 license in order to drive the Scirocco when it is released.

I doubt demo drivers will get it, but due to the class it'll fit into, it may be available for S1 drivers.
This thread is closed

[MERGED] Scirocco enquiry threads
(2369 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG