The online racing simulator
Unlocking LFS at school?
(26 posts, started )
Unlocking LFS at school?
So basically I'm trying to get LFS to work at school. Yeah, I know, I should be working, but I always finish early and find myself with nothing to do. And Counter Strike isn't fun when there are no people to face.

The thing is, my school has a firewall set up so none of these game applications can access the internet. Therefore, I can't unlock LFS at school.

I thought, hey, unlock at home and play at school, right? Nope.

So I was wondering if there was a way to get it unlocked for me to run off a flash drive.
Unless you can find a proxy and one of those tunneling program things that completely bypass the school connection you won't be able to.

But yeah, even if you have finished I'm sure you could check your work or study some more..
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Unless you can find a proxy and one of those tunneling program things that completely bypass the school connection you won't be able to.

But yeah, even if you have finished I'm sure you could check your work or study some more..

*shrug*. I run out of things to do fast, especially in a class based around Photoshop when I've already got 3 years experience behind it. xD
#4 - RS1T
I have a good friend with a similar problem, it would be nice if someone could help?
#5 - Jakg
There is only one way in this situation and it's not exactly something I can talk about on this forum (but an S2 licensed user IS allowed to use it).

I'll let you guess the rest.
there is one guy making lfs portable (or something like that) its in unofficial addons
Quote from Jakg :There is only one way in this situation and it's not exactly something I can talk about on this forum (but an S2 licensed user IS allowed to use it).

I'll let you guess the rest.

That makes sense, but it's not exactly something I want to resort to >:0
#8 - Jakg
Quote from Kerodal :there is one guy making lfs portable (or something like that) its in unofficial addons

It won't work like that - it still won't be unlocked.

(and the whole LFS portable idea is useless as LFS already is free).
Quote from Jakg :It won't work like that - it still won't be unlocked.

(and the whole LFS portable idea is useless as LFS already is free).

Unless your flash drive's unreasonably small, I don't see the point of a compressed version.

I was wondering if you knew anything about the way LFS authenticates itself. Perhaps a little file copying can fix the problem
#11 - Jakg
Quote from Cr!t!calDrift :I was wondering if you knew anything about the way LFS authenticates itself. Perhaps a little file copying can fix the problem

LFS takes some details of the PC you unlock it on, if you copy the unlock files (the .xxx files in Misc) to another PC it won't be unlocked, whereas if you copy the folder to a different folder with the same PC it will work.

I've been there (running LFS at School after secreting it on the hard drive after breaking through the network ) and the only way I found was the "dodgy" way.
#12 - ekze
Its impossible to unlock lfs legally without internet connection.
Ah, well. I'll find something else to do then, thanks for the help anyway.
I can't even run lfs on our school comps. They blocked any programs not already on there grr.
Tbh, I wish I had that much access at school...RM wahtever it is version 3 is a bitch...and affter like quite a while of a few people trying to bypass it for cmd prompt and stuff a few people (cough) had to sign a sheet saying if were found: On games/withcopyrightedmaterial on school harddisks etc/anything suspucious we have a risk of instant exlusion...

Also we have to report anyone we see doing any thing "Suspociisusususs" (cant spell) to the "Tech admin".

all thoe I blabbled on...all I wanted to say is, were not even allowed access to the c drive / allowed to run most exe's...
My school is on that crap as well. I'm gonna sign up for one of those sites where you can access your own comp. Then i wonder what they will say and if they say anything i will say "But sir this is my own pc on this page so i ain't abusing the school's internet"
Quote from jimaxx :Tbh, I wish I had that much access at school...RM wahtever it is version 3 is a bitch...and affter like quite a while of a few people trying to bypass it for cmd prompt and stuff a few people (cough) had to sign a sheet saying if were found: On games/withcopyrightedmaterial on school harddisks etc/anything suspucious we have a risk of instant exlusion...

Also we have to report anyone we see doing any thing "Suspociisusususs" (cant spell) to the "Tech admin".

all thoe I blabbled on...all I wanted to say is, were not even allowed access to the c drive / allowed to run most exe's...

C:/ Drive we just access ourselves through the start menu. The thing I don't like is that, in the event we plug in a portable hard drive, we can't "safely remove" it. And the running of external programs was crucial for some classes this and last year, which was nice.

The thing about many "tech admins" I've met is that they think they know everything about computers, when really they're clueless.
Quote from Luke.S :My school is on that crap as well. I'm gonna sign up for one of those sites where you can access your own comp. Then i wonder what they will say and if they say anything i will say "But sir this is my own pc on this page so i ain't abusing the school's internet"

What site? :o
we had that stupid drive access disabler in place back when i was at secondary school (1995-2000) After a couple of lunchtimes messing around in classrooms in far corners of the school we were soon able to access everything.

Windows 95 was so easy to hack. The techies at our school blocked access to most places, by hiding the drives in 'my computer', and removing the link to the file manager application, but left the run... box on the taskbar. You couldn't access the drives directly by using the C:/ command as it was blocked, but the piss poor IT dudes failed to remember that on that system, typing winfile into the run box launched file manager, There were all the drives you could want, including as we later discovered, all other pupils user drives, and teachers ones as well.

Turns out that it was all accessible accross the network so all staff and pupils could access their stuff on any machine, and after delving through subfolders upon subfolders and numerous dead ends, we found a way through the network, someone was to lazy to securely block or password it. So much fun was had! A little application called syscom was fairly good fun as well, found that one after a kid next to me managed to crash his machine and i watched slyly as the IT teacher navigated his way into it. Can't remember exactly what we could do in there, but i remember we managed to knock half the printers out and set the alarms off in the library somehow!
They limit the school access for that very reason - So you don't use their resources for anything other than educational. When I was at school they would snapshot your screen every 30 seconds or something and then they'd check them whenever, and anything unrelated to school work they'd add to the "blocked" list.

We'd come up with ways to bypass it, such as using a portable browser on a memory stick, and a proxy. But then they'd block the portable browsers. Then we'd edit the application so it showed up as something like "Word" or something else school related. Then they realised this and blocked all applications that weren't pre-approved or something.

You couldn't even use Google images because of "inapropriate pictures". Haven't they heard of safe-search?

But oh well.

Luke even if you access your own PC everything still has to be beamed back to the school network so it's just as (if not more) bandwidth taking to connect to another PC and use that, unless you use something like Windows Remote.
I'm not even going to start on the IT system at my school.

An example - I'm not allowed to send an e-mail to more than one person at a time.
Quote from J@tko :I'm not even going to start on the IT system at my school.

An example - I'm not allowed to send an e-mail to more than one person at a time.

At my school they blocked tiscali email for crying out loud. Not that i use that email address.
at least you can access your email, i cant at work, i also can't get ebay, youtube, myspace, facebook, or thescambaiter.com the funniest thing is that i can visit and post on most forums with no problems. So if you see any posts on here from me between 07:30 - 17:00 in the week then work has gone quiet!
-
(Luke.S) DELETED by Luke.S
When I was using AOL Email, I couldn't send an email in from my AOL account to my school account... that's how gay it was..
i always finish early, and up til last week i have been able to go on lfs...

but now we have a new teacher and he deleted lfs and blocked all links to it tis shocking...

Unlocking LFS at school?
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG