The online racing simulator
A heavenly, gamer's accessory
(13 posts, started )
#1 - BAMBO
A heavenly, gamer's accessories
I myself had quite a lot of problem in the past with headphones, always braking down, starting to hear trough just one headphone, etc. but even so I personally can't wait for this to come out because I think that it must be high quality to justify the price.

http://www2.razerzone.com/Megalodon/

Quote :The Razor Megalodon 7.1 Headphone Set is designed to deliver the kind of peak surround sound goodness that can only come from ‘unheard of processing power’. Naturally it’s not for the likes of you and me, you’ll need to be a rabid gamer to really appreciate the power and the glory. Oh and did we mention it uses the same sort of ‘military grade audio technology that was originally developed for fighter pilots who need precise positional audio warnings for incoming missiles…’? No? Sorry about that.

The price of one? It seems that it should cost $149.99

Edit: The part I was going to add but didn't got the chance since some are lighting fast

It's called a Force Dynamics 401, it's basically a hardcore car simulator and I have seen plenty of videos on youtube with LFS.

You can read more about it here: http://www.force-dynamics.com/401/

Quote :
What's the 401? Well, the best way to answer that is to see it moving - check out the youtube video to the right, or take a look at the high quality version under 'media'. It looks a lot like the 301, but its capabilities are far in advance - because, for simulating a vehicle, its rotation is incredibly important. You probably know, intuitively, that when you're driving a car that's sliding all over, it's the rotation that tells you when things have gone wrong (if you play that video, this will be fairly obvious!). Research in this area generally says that physical sensations take the lead over your eyes by about a tenth of a second when you need to react to something like a car sliding - and without feeling this rotation axis you rely on your eyes (or, in the 301, the secondary sensation of lost lateral grip) to tell you what's happening.

...Unfortunately not for consumer use but you can get it's smaller brother, the 301, which still looks pretty interesting.

Did I mentioned it's price (301)? It costs about $15000

I'm sure that the simulator plus those headphones would make for a pretty nice experience but I still think that it's a bit exaggerated. I've never understood why some people would plan on spending that much on virtual immersion, why not just do the real thing?
What did you say, Lassie? The OP is blind?

HERE
-
(BAMBO) DELETED by BAMBO
#4 - CSU1
#6 - BAMBO
Quote from BAMBO :why not just do the real thing?

Because its a lot harder to kill yourself infront of a screen than it is in a race car. And also - you can't just "go and do the real thing" if you want to drive in F1 car or race Nascar.
#8 - BAMBO
Well I know that today's racing cars are extremely safe and the death percentage per year has dropped a lot although I will agree that you can still die . I understand that your average Joe won't afford an F1 team but for the price of a 401, a pair of Razor headphones, a Logitech G25, etc. added up might cost as much as competing for a year in a modest league which I believe would be more rewarding then a simulation could ever be.
Quote from BAMBO :Well I know that today's racing cars are extremely safe and the death percentage per year has dropped a lot although I will agree that you can still die . I understand that your average Joe won't afford an F1 team but for the price of a 401, a pair of Razor headphones, a Logitech G25, etc. added up might cost as much as competing for a year in a modest league which I believe would be more rewarding then a simulation could ever be.

How about time? I come home from work and I could jump on the computer and do a little simulated racing with my 401 and everything else for a couple of hours. Can't do that with the real thing. I'd have to load up, drive a couple of hours to get to the track, and by that time, it's time to head to bed to get up the next morning for work again...

Same with weekends. Not everyone has free time to do it for real. If I had the money but the same amount of time as now, I would probably choose the simulation with the expensive equipment over the real thing. Only if I was rich by lottery or something and had all the time in the world because of no longer needing a job would I do the real deal.
$150 is cheap(ish) for a set of headphones
There's already a thread on this Bambie.

Heavenly gamers accessory would be 15 tins of Redbull.
Quote from BAMBO :Well I know that today's racing cars are extremely safe and the death percentage per year has dropped a lot although I will agree that you can still die . I understand that your average Joe won't afford an F1 team but for the price of a 401, a pair of Razor headphones, a Logitech G25, etc. added up might cost as much as competing for a year in a modest league which I believe would be more rewarding then a simulation could ever be.

Maybe but there is still no argument in the subject. The idea of a simulation is to provide a realistic experience for something that can't be done every day. Flight simulators let a random person fly a plane - for however much the game costs. Same with driving sims, Rfactor lets you drive F1 cars, GP2 cars, Rally cars and pretty much everything else out there on almost whatever track you can think of. You'd be spending millions, probably billions to do that in real life.

And who says you need to buy a set of those razer headphones? I use a £30 set of Steelseries gaming headphones and they're better than almost anything else I've heard gaming wise.

Your also forgetting the minimum cost of sim gear. You can buy a used DFP for £50, LFS for £24 and use the inbuilt speakers on your monitor to still get a pretty realistic sim experience. You can't even get to the other end of the country on a train for that much, never mind race in a series.
But he isn't talking the minimum cost. He is talking why bother with going for all that high dollar stuff when you could spend the same amount and actually do it for real.

A heavenly, gamer's accessory
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG