The online racing simulator
Need Advice On New Mobo + Coolers
(3 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
Two things here:

My current mobo is being a bitch and the onboard LAN isn't working right - apparently it's a known issue and I need to send it back to Asus, god knows how long they'll take so i'm wondering what I can do in the meantime - Could I get another board? Would it work my RAID0 setup? Or would my OS flip out?

And what board would you recommend for less than £80 - needs to support DDR2 with two PCI-e 16x lanes (although if one is only 4x then ok), SLi or Crossfire isn't important, but it also needs 2x PCI lanes and RAID0 as well...

Also - what cooler could I use for my 6600GT? Would like something passive, small and cheap - Doesn't run hot at all
surely if you want your current os to still work you need the same mobo, i thought the mobo and chip needed to be the same for an install to work on another machine/board if you get my drift

edit: tip for next time: dont try to overclock the onboard lan port :P
#3 - dadge
as long as you uninstall all the onboard stuff from the broken mobo before you upgrade, you should be fine.
XP corp used to allow a user to upgrade 4 bits of H/W before it locked up to be re-unlocked. not sure if vista would be the same. why don't you buy something cheap with no extras so you have something to put you over until asus get their finger out and sort your board for you?

Quote from Jakg : Would like something passive, small and cheap - Doesn't run hot at all

a small cooler would get hot.

a cheap cooler would get hot.

a passive cooler would again get hot.

i have found that with computers (and most things) if you buy cheap, you usually get cheap.

cheap and good reviews but not small: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ ... odid=HS-024-AR&tool=3 (can also add a fan if you like)

cheap-ish. but it's a looker: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ ... odid=HS-029-ZA&tool=3

with passive coolers you need to make sure you have good airflow within the chasis because at the end of the day, all that heat has to go somewhere.
a good chasis with good airflow can make the world of difference. and with you enjoying the odd overclock or 2, this could also be a good option for you.
i have an Antec 900 case and and Asaka aftermarket heatsync and fan (side mounted fan) these two items alone has taken my system from 38° (idle) 20° and below. i have all my fans on low (4 chasis fans). the pic below will show you my idle temps on my system
Attached images
low temps.jpg

(3 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG