The online racing simulator
Looking for a full HD TV
(20 posts, started )
Looking for a full HD TV
Hi,

Since I got my PS3, something have been annoying me royally. All the TVs here are big ass TVs with standard definition so I basically can't read anything on my cellphone in GTA IV and GT5: P doesn't look as good as it could be.

I want to get a HD TV 1080p that would fit nicely in my room without being too expensive. I tought 32'' was nice since you can see quite ok from a good distance and they are under 1000$ so that looks alright for me.

So, what brand / size / thing should I know about HD TVs?
i recomend a 30"-37" vizio,sony,samsung tv's ive had a very good time with them, theve gone throught lots. and get warranty.. lots of it!
Anyway for the size I can see later, I would like to know more about the good brands and the shitty brands.

Panasonic is all we have here, and they seem a little cheaper (price wise) than Sony. They never let us down so I tend to trust them but we didnt buy a TV for the last 3 years so I wouldn't know...
#4 - Joe93
if its for gaming get a samsung, they have a really high refresh rate or something like that. Hence why Microsoft use Samsung TV's on all there x360 stand's along with most of the console thingys

So imo get a Samsung.
Quote from Riders Motion :Hi,

Since I got my PS3, something have been annoying me royally. All the TVs here are big ass TVs with standard definition so I basically can't read anything on my cellphone in GTA IV and GT5: P doesn't look as good as it could be.

I want to get a HD TV 1080p that would fit nicely in my room without being too expensive. I tought 32'' was nice since you can see quite ok from a good distance and they are under 1000$ so that looks alright for me.

So, what brand / size / thing should I know about HD TVs?

go 50" my friend Zack, he has a 110"
Got a Samsung myself, best quality I have seen for the money.
Quote from Riders Motion :Panasonic is all we have here, and they seem a little cheaper (price wise) than Sony. They never let us down so I tend to trust them but we didnt buy a TV for the last 3 years so I wouldn't know...

Quite a few at work have been picking up Panasonic plazmas. They all seem to be extremely happy with them. This is an even distribution of people who will just hook up the cable straight from the wall and be happy with that and people who will take the time to set it up properly.

42 inch Panasonic Plazma TVs are going for around $800 right now around here I think. I'm pretty sure that is 1080p, but not positive.
So my deal would be between Panasonic and Samsung?

Samsung only does 40'' full HDs in LCD. The LN40A650 one looks nice. 1920x1080, 120Hz, 40''.

Edit: Ouch at the price. >.<
Toshiba makes pretty nice (and pretty cheap) LCDs. You can get a 32" for <$500 nowadays @ newegg and amazon. Not sure about Canadian shops, though.
#10 - Jakg
How far away from the screen are you? Unless your close enough to lick it I doubt you'll see the difference between 1080 and 720...
Yeah Jakg's correct, at 32" it's very tough to see the difference between 720 and 1080.
One of the best 32" LCD's available at the moment is the Sony KDL-32V4000, it is only HD ready though, but at that size the picture with a good source is incredible. The same set but at full HD is the KDL-32W4000, it's a lot more expensive and at 32" you basically wont tell the difference.
Well right now I'm on a 32'' TV and I sit 4' from the TV... I think it's quite close tho lol. I can see well from 8', it's just that I got used to play with my controller from that distance (didn't know that it was wireless so I always played with the 3' USB cable plugged in the console. )
For watching TV - you don't need Full HD (yet)...

For games and as a computer moniter - get Full HD if you can... Seriously Jakg, do you work with 800x600 on your laptop? No? Why suggesting 1280x720 on a screen twice the size then?
#14 - Jakg
I sit about 3 feet from my monitor.

I sit about 10-11 feet from my 32" TV - from that distance even SD on my CRT TV looks as good as HD on the TV's at work.

Not that i'm keen on HD TV's, mind - yet a single one looks as good as my old Panasonic Quitrix CRT - Was actually looking at buying a newer 36" CRT the other day...
Samsung sucks. I have 37" samsung and it has good screenquality and things but other things are worst ever, it's so slow etc
Quote from Riders Motion :Well right now I'm on a 32'' TV and I sit 4' from the TV

Which is exactly how far you need to be from a 32" screen to get the full benefit of 1080.

However, isn't the be all and end all of quality on flat screen TVs. The quality of the image processing etc make a big difference (probably actually bigger) than just resolution alone.

If you were thinking Plasma I would recommend Panasonic over Samsung, but at that size Plasma isn't an option. I have no idea which LCD is best but this link may help:

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/best_buy/lcd/best_buy_lcd.htm
What do you guys reckon bout philips ? the ones with ambilight seem nice ..
Quote from evilgenius :What do you guys reckon bout philips ? the ones with ambilight seem nice ..

Gimmick
Quote from Riders Motion :(didn't know that it was wireless so I always played with the 3' USB cable plugged in the console. )

Could you be any more n00b then that? ROFL

Looking for a full HD TV
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG