The online racing simulator
More Moderators.....
(238 posts, started )
If you became an admin, I would stick my man tool into a blender.
Quote from The Very End :Solution, Me, Tristan, Lerts, G1hno and Zeug as admin, well that would make up a nice little group.

+ 1

i think this forum will improve a lot if that happens

/sarcasm
Is this the time I am going to copy-paste the link I sent to you on LFS newb forum th lol?

Or not lol.

Well, when that is said, we don't need more moderators, currently there are too many and they allways manage to delete my posts before the usuall people on forum get's to look on them You have no idea what you have missed lol.
I dont think that this is the proper place for that link...
Well, we all do remember what happend when I last time posted it
So no, enjoy your inocent eyes and lifes, you have no gain by looking on it, unless you're a tool like th84 that wants to be kinky with a tree.
My copy-paste button tickles me... I mean, how long can they ban me for that? :P
Hopefully longer than you imagine
Edit : You saw nothing!

Ok, let's head back on topic guys
Quote from The Very End :[url="http://linkremoveddamit!"]http://www.RAWR.com/meepmeep[/url]

I let this stay for 30 sec then removing it, for the ones that looks this, you have been enlightened.

What the hell?
Back to the point raised by the OP, the relationship between forum regulars and 'overexcited', so to speak, newbies could not certainly change only through an increase of the number of moderators.

OTOH if such new moderators played the role of 'helpers', addressing the inflow of new users and taking on their shoulders the grinding which comes from the very same questions being asked over and over again, then the suggestion would make sense. They would also end up setting a standard for behavior on the forum.

TBH I've seen such a model in place on some boards, but those had different social structure and purposes from LFSforum, I'm not sure how it would work here
Quote from NightShift :OTOH if such new moderators played the role of 'helpers', addressing the inflow of new users and taking on their shoulders the grinding which comes from the very same questions being asked over and over again, then the suggestion would make sense.

I can't speak for any such 'new' moderators, but I'm not here to wipe newbies arses for them. I'm just here to step in and clean up the shit when it happens.
Quote from Bob Smith :I'm not here to wipe newbies arses
[...]
I'm just here to step in and clean up the shit

Specialization in practice.
instead of starting a topic like " we want better modo or whateva "

there is a button on evry topic called : report post (yeah it dsnt come as an option) to alert a moderator/admin about what happen on that topic

if you use this button you got +1 from me and you almost did 40% of the job
This forum is an absolute joy to browse compared to some. One of the others I browse is over at GameTrailers, and the General forums there... I can't even go into them for the most part because of the level of innane fail that just seems to flow from people's fingers. Stupid questions, stupid answers, trolling, flaming, baiting, arguing. It's an absolute nightmare.

I'd do the mod's job, but I think they do it fine themselves (although closing lerts' thread was a mistake). If I was a mod over at GT people wouldn't know what hit them.
Quote from Bob Smith :I can't speak for any such 'new' moderators, but I'm not here to wipe newbies arses for them. I'm just here to step in and clean up the shit when it happens.

Is that a "I'm Wolfe, I solve problems" attitude ?

I just happened to be thinking that maybe there is a way to avoid alienating some well-meaning but not-up-to-speed-yet people who can be chastised by the regulars for having touched, directly or indirectly, one of those sensitive points. And of course those casual users who happen read those topics and get the feeling that LFSforum is a bad place.

AFAICT the current mods of LFSforum have been doing a fine job, though sometimes even the better things can be improved
Quote from Dajmin :
I'd do the mod's job, but I think they do it fine themselves (although closing lerts' thread was a mistake). If I was a mod over at GT people wouldn't know what hit them.

Rather, unbanning Lerts was a mistake. Although that's my own personal opinion.
-
(lerts) DELETED by lerts
I have the same feeling about the forums as the OP and some others. I only read these forums to get some much needed information or to find out about the state of LFS, things that might get changed etc. There are sometimes good topics with a nice discussion in them. There are offcourse topics with people who can't write good english, those that have a BrEeZaH!! writing style. It has to be said that most of these topics seem to be about NOS and body kits etc. While I myself do not really see a problem about discussing this and get more irritated about the writing style I believe it is the OP's freedom to bring these matters to the table in any way he sees fit to the best of his abilities in writing and thinking style. If you do not like it, do not read it and go drive in LFS which is a bit short on racers instead of bitching in here that there is an invasion of NoObS! set out by some higher power to destroy you and your LFS experience.

And this is the most irritating point and biggest turn-off about these forums for me. The fundamentalistic religion about LFS that the more vocative persons on these forums hold. The Crusade against anything not fitting their religion, where some for instance in the suggestions forum even take on the role of LFS Lead Director/Semi-God and tell others that their suggestion does not fit in the LFS development time schedule, instead of discussing said suggestion. What I mostly see is flaming and as said a Crusade against the OP. Even though the OP's suggestion might not fit into the spirit of LFS, instead of being rude with one-liners, or even worse, showing a lack of vocabulary, overuse of emotion-icons one should try to explain why it does not fit into in LFS.
If the 20th topic in a day about body-kits rises redirect them to your previous response, copy-paste whatever. In these days where you can copy/paste, link etc... saying that one gets tired of all these topics is not valid anymore. It just takes a few clicks, not significatly more than posting a flaming emotion-icon.

Stemming from this is the Elite-Club of individuals who seem to believe they as a group are something special, an army of holy knights fighting on the frontlines against the infidels from the big and monstrous world of competing race/drift/drag/tuning games. Instead of trying to learn from other games/sims, thinking about a concept or construct from another game/sim and what it might mean for LFS, or as a starting ground to work out something different they get flamed. Even in a nice OP after a word like NFS, in my perception it seems the bloodlust gets activated and the virtual torches and guns get brought to the frontline.

In my opinion as an endresult these persons are more destructive to the LFS community than the "NFS NoObs". I can understand that they don't see it this way, and they think they are justified in behaving this way, but please stop and use your brain for one moment. Not everyone percieves LFS the same way as you, they hold different values, get excited about different things, have another culture, are raised in a different way, have another age etc.....
So if you want LFS to be your special niche game in which you braviously Crusaded against the big monsters instead of racing and enjoying LFS as it is, a racing game in development with developers that steer their own way and not yours exclusively, please go on and waste your time, alienate new players and shrink this already relatively small community.
LFSforum has, as you correctly say, a lot of noise going on (which is however an incorrectable issue of any system where pretty much anybody can speak their mind in almost completely free way), but there's very good signal on it - something I can't honestly say is true for most boards on the web.

Most time I spent on this board it was lurking mostly using the search function. In the end I only started posting because LFSforum is some kind of replacement for LFS itself... when I can't drive in it.

OTOH may I suggest you visit the iRacing section of RSC?

TBH I think it could help you put things quite in perspective. You'll see such ludicrous crap arguments being raised to defend their senseless worshipping of Kaemmer, I'm sure even the LFSers you despise the most will instantly appear to be perfectly reasonable people and a pleasure to talk with.
As i said before, the mods do a good job on here and i don't think we need anymore but i do think that some can over-react sometimes. Take a thread i have just seen ih the off topics section for instance, it was basically a two word game, one person says two words, the next person adds two more, and it makes one long story. A couple of people swore in there, and there was the odd stupid childish comment. Thread closed because it was "sick filth"

This is a classic case of an epic over reaction, the thread was fine as it was, the most that was needed was to delete the stupid posts, just the same as the original inevitable picture thread didn't need closing.

Oh yeah, and handing out infractions to anyone who uses a swear word is well OTT as well i think, especially in the off topics section.
Quote from danthebangerboy :As i said before, the mods do a good job on here and i don't think we need anymore but i do think that some can over-react sometimes. Take a thread i have just seen ih the off topics section for instance, it was basically a two word game, one person says two words, the next person adds two more, and it makes one long story. A couple of people swore in there, and there was the odd stupid childish comment. Thread closed because it was "sick filth"

This is a classic case of an epic over reaction, the thread was fine as it was, the most that was needed was to delete the stupid posts, just the same as the original inevitable picture thread didn't need closing.

Oh yeah, and handing out infractions to anyone who uses a swear word is well OTT as well i think, especially in the off topics section.

Agree, but it might be a little too much work if they are going to check through every topic for bad posts, and then delete them, instead of just closing a topic that is goin byound off topic.
Haha yeah, looks like SamH has gone over that thread closely Riders Motion got his share of infractions handed out to him. I wonder how many infractions gets you temporarily banned His comments cracked me up, though
Depends I would guess aswell as the stuff posted, but enough of them will get you banned, but after some time they time out aswell. Mine lasted one month, but guess 3-4 more in the same month would get me banned for a month or something.
Thats the thing, it had got relitevely sensible again by the time it was closed. You can't really say it went off topic as there wasnt a topic to stick to so to speak, the course of the topic got a little rude, no more than you would hear in a high school playground, the only comment i didnt like was the rape one, that was a little too far. People then got more sensible and steered it back to being funny without the rudeness.

I'm not saying for a minute that there are any bad mods on here, but it was stupid o'clock in the morning so i suppose over reaction is to be expected.

It's just a shame to see, what was, and could have continued to be a good thread, where common sense had prevailed eventually, get closed because of the odd risque comment.
I agree on that point, if it's only 1 user crossing the line the topic itself should not need to be closed, but the user should be handled and / or the things he posted should be removed. If the whole topic goes downwards, like when people turn out to be using cracks etc, then it would be nice with a lock and removing of some insanely retarded comments. Like, in before the lock comments are really bottering.
Generally, I get the feeling that threads that are locked because of one person are to make that one person feel bad, or to make people dislike that person, example in the Inevitable picture thread. Sometimes threads are closed for no real reason, many are closed, as you said, because of one (or two) silly users.

More Moderators.....
(238 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG