The online racing simulator
There was a "snowy" track?
Ahh yes, now i remember! GT4 was not all that great, so i tried to forget most of it perhaps.
Any info like "GT5p physics are just a glimpse of what's to come" or "this is just 20% of our physics for the full version" or some other incuraging stuff?
Quote from Boris Lozac :Any info like "GT5p physics are just a glimpse of what's to come" or "this is just 20% of our physics for the full version" or some other incuraging stuff?

You can certainly wish for that. But if it will happen, i doubt it...

Think of GT4 prologue. Sure, they changed things a little for the final product, but GT4 was still close to GT4 prologue. And i would guess it will be the same with GT5 and GT5P. I'm sure they are far too busy with all of the cars and the promised damage model. No time for something small and unimportant like physics.

PS: Don't get me wrong, i basically like GT5P.
Quote from jibber :You can certainly wish for that. But if it will happen, i doubt it...

Think of GT4 prologue. Sure, they changed things a little for the final product, but GT4 was still close to GT4 prologue. And i would guess it will be the same with GT5 and GT5P. I'm sure they are far too busy with all of the cars and the promised damage model. No time for something small and unimportant like physics.

PS: Don't get me wrong, i basically like GT5P.

It hurts you know, this could be the ultimate driving sim, iRacing what, LFS what? They have the resources, the staff, and probably the knowledge to make the ultimate driving engine.. Haven't tried it yet, but by the videos it doesn't look that much different then GT4, still the unrealistic looking donuts They have much much more powerfull hardware now, what's the problem?
#32 - Vain
I don't think there's much they can do wrong with GT5.
In GT4, even after several hundret laps (I think it's in the area of a thousand by now) I still enjoy going around the Nordschleife in a stock Vauxhall Tigra with the cheapest tyres on offer.
As long as I can keep doing that I'm absolutely willing to fork out the 400€ for graphics improvements.

The only downside is that there won't be 200 cars of all sorts of classes on the track simultaneously. But I guess I can live with that.

Vain
Quote from Boris Lozac :It hurts you know, this could be the ultimate driving sim, iRacing what, LFS what? They have the resources, the staff, and probably the knowledge to make the ultimate driving engine.. Haven't tried it yet, but by the videos it doesn't look that much different then GT4, still the unrealistic looking donuts They have much much more powerfull hardware now, what's the problem?

Trouble is, especially for console games, they are looking for audiences. Make it too realistic and you lose half the audience.

i suppose a normal mode and sim mode would work for that.

As it stands sim mode on GT5P does make it more realistic, you can now turn ABS off on all cars in GT5, previous games you couldn't.

I actually love GT4 so much, mostly for driving the older cars, especially the Japanese ones, you never see in real life or in other games. Such as Skylines from the sixties.

I do agree they do have too many Skylines, I think the problem was is that they had each gen skyline, which is fair. But then they'd have the VSpec version of each car, which was more expensive and had different wheels (the real V-Specs normally got uprated brakes and different tyres, but the difference those make are negligable, I don't even think other than wheels the Vspecs were any different).
Quote from Boris Lozac :It hurts you know, this could be the ultimate driving sim, iRacing what, LFS what? They have the resources, the staff, and probably the knowledge to make the ultimate driving engine.. Haven't tried it yet, but by the videos it doesn't look that much different then GT4, still the unrealistic looking donuts They have much much more powerfull hardware now, what's the problem?

The problem is... even if you find people from the "sim department" under the GT5P players... it's not the target audience. Most buyers will play it from their couch with a PS3 controller. Those don't need a full sim... they need 1000+ cars and shiny graphics.

I'm sure i'll enjoy GT5 a lot, but mostly because of all the cars that will be in it. Physics will be good enough to have some fun too, i'm sure.

Ohh and about the donuts... i don't know what kind of videos you've been watching, but they look just fine now. The smoke is debatable, no skidmarks aswell, etc. But they look ok. The car behaves as expected when doing them aswell. Are you sure you haven't accidently watched a GT4 video (or a GT5P video where the assists weren't turned off)?
Also, full GT5 is expected to have damage.
Keep in mind also that not matter how realistic their physics engine, tire model etc etc, they'll never be able to simulate a car like the GTR.

Why?

Because so much of the GTR's handling depends on the computer controlled AWD system. Now, do you really think Nissan's going to let polyPhoney have their precious Porsche killing algorithms. Of course not.

That's the problem with trying to simulate real life. You have to actually simulate it.
Well in those terms, they don't need the exact calculations that the car makes since the game knows what is about to happen to the car, while a real car doesn't. They just need to go "this is where the car would prevent a slide" and make it do that.
Quote from Mattesa :Keep in mind also that not matter how realistic their physics engine, tire model etc etc, they'll never be able to simulate a car like the GTR.

Why?

Because so much of the GTR's handling depends on the computer controlled AWD system. Now, do you really think Nissan's going to let polyPhoney have their precious Porsche killing algorithms. Of course not.

That's the problem with trying to simulate real life. You have to actually simulate it.

They dont need it. They just have to make a special IF CAR = GTR THEN PHYSICS = DONT APPLY tweak for GTR and problem solved.
Quote from jibber :
Ohh and about the donuts... i don't know what kind of videos you've been watching, but they look just fine now. The smoke is debatable, no skidmarks aswell, etc. But they look ok. The car behaves as expected when doing them aswell. Are you sure you haven't accidently watched a GT4 video (or a GT5P video where the assists weren't turned off)?

I don't know, i think it's said "simulation mode" in those videos... and also, you can't flip the car still, what the hell with that?
I know the game will be awesome, i just want a bit more, you know I want it to be the best driving game, all around, to fulfill my simming needs and my car loving needs It's like a Boxter, or a Cayman, restricted on purpose just so it doesn't get in 911 teritory I feel they could make the ultimate sim AND, for others that amateur physics or whatever is called..
I would certainly like that aswell... i'm just saying, chances that it'll happen are almost zero (IMO).
I have a random question about the GTR in GT5... if ASM and TC are turned on, does that then reflect a GTR with the aids turned on and vice versa? Or does GT5 still simulate the GTR's computerised stability things even if the ASM and TC are turned off in game?
i love this game i just dont like how you have to press triangle to use clutch i was a few week back 96th in entire world in the suzuki cappcino tuned round eiger nordwand but some people beat me and now im like 105th
Quote from Boris Lozac :So it works well with the Momo? Force Feedback and all?

Yup, FFB, wheel and pedals work. Some buttons work too but you have to use the paddles to shift.

Edit:

Quote from TiJay :I have a random question about the GTR in GT5... if ASM and TC are turned on, does that then reflect a GTR with the aids turned on and vice versa? Or does GT5 still simulate the GTR's computerised stability things even if the ASM and TC are turned off in game?

I could try and drive the mighty Godzilla tonight just to see. I'll come back with that.
****. NVM I can't test the Skyline tonight I updated the game and stupid PS3 wont let me play for like 5 hours just like it did for Warhawk. I hate it lol.
#45 - T.J.
The Blitz Skyline and a G25 from logitech is the best way of relaxing after a hard week.. Nice sound in the car too
I just wish we had something like the GT5 interiors in LFS.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I just wish we had something like the GT5 interiors in LFS.

that would would be the best game ever
GT5, with LFS physics.
And a PC port.
gt5 with its physics plus enhancements and ideas from lfs!!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG