The online racing simulator
#1 - Migz
No display on laptop, need help getting to external display.
Today I booted up my laptop and nothing was being displayed, absolutely nothing. I know the laptop is booting and logging in because I can hear the sounds.
I have an external display which I sometimes use with my laptop so I tried plugging that in, but nothing gets displayed on it. There's also a little button on my laptop which has LCD then a slash then a picture of a monitor on it, and I've tried pressing the fn key with that key but it doesn't seem to do anything.
Help please!
#2 - CSU1
A pain in the butt

What happened, did you drop it or sumpthin?
What did you have to do before to get external display working ie. what sequence of actions?
...Is remote desktop an option?

What make/model?

Is it under warranty?

#3 - Migz
Only thing I did was leave it plugged in to charge all night by accident. Before when I plugged the display in. It came up with an option to either do nothing, extend desktop or clone view. But I can't see that to select anything.
I have a Vnc client installed to my computer so I could control it from my iPod touch but I can't remember how many clicks in what direction it is to turn it on.
I don't think it's under warranty anymore :/.
It's a asus g1s I think.
Can you try connecting to it through Remote desktop?
#5 - Migz
I managed to start up the vnc server by guessing where the shortcut in the start menu was. But everything just shows up black on my iPod, you can only see the mouse but nothing else.
What the **** has happened?

Edit: I'm not sure how I would get remote desktop running without being able to see anything.
#6 - STF
Can you see something while it`s POSTing?
You know.. the "press 4rfwdsd to enter bios" etc?
#7 - Migz
Nope, there's no display at all at any point. There isn't even a backlight.
Sounds like the screen just died. I would open it up and check the wires to the LCD, but don't do it if you're not familiar with computers.
#9 - Migz
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Sounds like the screen just died. I would open it up and check the wires to the LCD, but don't do it if you're not familiar with computers.

I did that last night and I checked the wires around the screen that I could see. I also tried using the LCD screen from my old dead laptop with the new laptop. But it still displayed nothing.
#10 - CSU1
Quote from Migz :I did that last night and I checked the wires around the screen that I could see. I also tried using the LCD screen from my old dead laptop with the new laptop. But it still displayed nothing.

I've had a quick look around Asus forums for you and there are at least a dozen threads of people complaining of their Asus screens dieing. There are three sides to it

1.) Nvidia have acknowledged that large quantities of the 8 series GPU's are defective, check whats in yours

2.) people on the Asus forums are saying there is a standby/hibernation problem with the screen and it will not light up, fix is to remove the battery( I know your problem seems to be more serious)

3.) Like you people are also complaining that their GPU's or motherboards are failing and as far as i looked I did not see one reply from an Asus rep to any of them.

It's a pity the warranty is gone mate

...sorry to say that it looks like you may be kind of screwed.
#11 - Migz
Ah ****! £1000ish laptop as well!
I'll just have to go out to town and get some data and ide cables to get my old heap of junk computer workin again.

Also even if the warranty wasn't gone it's be void by now, their was a small(tiny!!!) sticker inside the laptop on the fan/heatsink and I took it off to read it and it said "warranty void if removed"...... Whoops.

Edit: what dyu mean by check what's in mine? I don't think theirs anything physically in my gpu.
#12 - CSU1
Quote from Migz :
Edit: what dyu mean by check what's in mine? I don't think theirs anything physically in my gpu.

I meant what gpu was in your model of Anus as you were'nt sure which model of Anus it was

Why not drop it down to a PC repair shop and get a quote to fix it for pig iron, surly it's worth ~£200 to you?
#13 - Migz
Oh right. It's a 256mb 8600m GT. It is worth that much to me. But I don't have that ammount of money.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG