The online racing simulator
Joypad- changeable steering range
Hello,
I use joypad. For FBM the turn range of wheels is at 15°, and the physical steering wheel range at 90° (lowest). This is ok for racing, except when I get of track with the tail in the wrong direction, then I can't drive smoothly back again, I have to do 2-3 manoevrers forward and backward to get back again. This loses time and of course blocks the track while I do it.

Is there a way to customize the steering range, IE, when I press a set button, the range will be 20° and 900° so I can quickly get back on track, and then press again to have my normal racing settings?
try double clicking the wheel turn degree thing, not the bar but the number. it should say enter value
I don't think you can have it both ways. It may be posssible by using a script but it would be pretty complicated I think.
I found this command, I will experiment and see if it's possible.
/wheel_turn [degrees] - specify turn angle of controller

edit:

made the script, but the command is the wrong one. Even with controller wheel set at 900, the wheel turn is locked at my 15°, and that is what I wanted to change on the fly. I guess there aren't any scripting methods to change from one setup to another.
You can't alter a set via scripts.

I know the problem well since I used to race with pad too. If you will accept a free piece of advice, buy a wheel ASAP.

You'll be starting again from scratch as soon as you switch controller; that's the reason why some aliens keep racing with the mouse even if they have a proper wheel.
Quote from bjrossi :I found this command, I will experiment and see if it's possible.
/wheel_turn [degrees] - specify turn angle of controller

edit:

made the script, but the command is the wrong one. Even with controller wheel set at 900, the wheel turn is locked at my 15°, and that is what I wanted to change on the fly. I guess there aren't any scripting methods to change from one setup to another.

Try setting wheel turn compensation to 1. Then make scripts /wheel_turn 720 and /wheel_turn 90. When you run /wheel_turn 720 the steering should be totally linear (very sensitive) but when you run /wheel_turn 90 the steering should be highly non-linear (un-sensitive).

Not exactly what you wanted, since the linearity is changed instead of the lock, but maybe it'd work.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG