The online racing simulator
Did anybody else get sick after playing Portal?
Just spent the last few hours playing Portal through and doing some challenges, but now I feel violently ill. I think 17+18 did it, all that backwards portalling. So, has anybody else been sick after playing extended amounts of Portal? :vomit:
Not personally, but I'd find it amusing if the character vomited if you stay in a portal loop long enough.
Nah I don't remember it making me feel sick. The only game that ever really did that to me was Crysis, and I think it was mostly because of the stupid motion blur effect.
some FPS games can give me massive headache, like COD games, i think its because of the colors changing too fast or something

but Portal was fine, good game actually
Quake 3 Arena.

The whole lan party (tho it was only 5 people lol) got so sick we had to go away from the computer for some hours to get better
Quote from DevilDare :some FPS games can give me massive headache, like COD games, i think its because of the colors changing too fast or something

but Portal was fine, good game actually

COD5 and COD4 give me headache. But I think that's because of the annoyingly low FOV.
It's your brain telling you that you've had enough staring at the monitor for the day. Nausea, headache, fatigue, dry eyes, and some other stuff are all symptoms of eye strain.
My brother used to feel sick on Doom, I think because it moved to fast or something.
Doom had that wierd bouncing up and down thing as you walked. I can see how that would make people ill.
#10 - Jakg
Never ever had any sort of PC related problems - which probably means I spend too long using them!
#11 - 5haz
Epilepsy?
#13 - 5haz
Not always. A few years ago there was a group of about 7 or 8 of us who used to always hang out together and one of the lads had epilepsy, and he would sometimes just stop mid sentance and stare into space for about 20 to 30 seconds. Other times he would feel really sick but not be sick, or have a full blown seizure. Luckily we learned how to look after him as he would get disoriantated just before, which was a warning sign that gave us about 10 seconds to get him sat down or out of harms way. He would be totally confused afterwards. Bringing him round was very scary for us, whereas he wouldnt really know what had happened.

EDIT: The internetz (yahoo answers) came up with this...

Quote :
Are you perhaps prone to motion sickness?

This isn't uncommon with video games, particularly first person perspective games. All motion sickness really is is your brain failing to come to grips with your physical sensations of motion and your visual cues for motion not matching up and triggering a reaction. The cues are reversed from if you are reading while riding in a car, but it's the same end result.

Could be a mild form of eplileptic seizures as well, but motion sickness is more likely with what you are describing, particularly if it doesn't happen with most games.

I personally used to get absolutely terrible headaches from using this computer,just an hour or so using it would be enough to trigger it.

I get migranes, and this was 10x more painful, if you can imagine that. It used to feel as if someone was jamming something sharp into my right eye and stabbing it into my head, such a searing hideous pain that used to render me totally useless. Always the exact same pain, in the exact same place. This would never happen while i was on the computer, it was always about an hour or so after i had turned it off. Ideal for waking me up just after i had got to sleep. Luckily it would only last upto 2 hours.

The cause. Moniter refresh rate. I changed it from the standard 60hz to 85hz and i can now browse all day and i have no problems at all anymore.
Umm, I don't have epilepsy, and I don't suffer from prolonged computer use problems (Having once spent over 24 hours solid with no side effects, I think I can rule that out!), plus I was only on for a couple of hours. It's just weird, it's never happened me before

^^ I think it is motion sickness. I used to get really sick travelling by sea or in the back of a car. I also had that problem with my CRT monitor, had to drop the resolution to get better refresh rates. It was even worse as it's my second monitor, so I was looking at it out of the corner of my eye...
The main thing though, are you feeling well enough now to drink lager? Thats the priority!

Seriously though, i used to feel better after maybe 2 hours or so, you should be good to go by now.
Quote from danthebangerboy :I get migranes, and this was 10x more painful, if you can imagine that. It used to feel as if someone was jamming something sharp into my right eye and stabbing it into my head, such a searing hideous pain that used to render me totally useless. Always the exact same pain, in the exact same place. This would never happen while i was on the computer, it was always about an hour or so after i had turned it off. Ideal for waking me up just after i had got to sleep. Luckily it would only last upto 2 hours.

The cause. Moniter refresh rate. I changed it from the standard 60hz to 85hz and i can now browse all day and i have no problems at all anymore.

Ugh, I suffer from migraines. But since I got a TFT, I haven't had as many.

I used to get them about 4-5 times a week. Such excruciating pain...you just want to resort in poking your eyes out. Luckily though, paracetamol usually takes care of it ^^

Whenever my sister get's a migraine, she goes blind, and sometimes it can last about 5 or 6 hours. That must be awful.
Quote from danthebangerboy :The main thing though, are you feeling well enough now to drink lager? Thats the priority!

Seriously though, i used to feel better after maybe 2 hours or so, you should be good to go by now.

Lager? Nah, could drink that in my sleep

I used to get terrible pains in my right eye for no apparent reason, I still get them occasionally. The only answer was to sleep on that side of my face for an hour or so, and it'd go away

Anyway, I got a couple of bites to eat, and it seems to be fine again. Now to get the Portal expansion pack
Quote from niall09 : *snip*
Whenever my sister get's a migraine, she goes blind, and sometimes it can last about 5 or 6 hours. That must be awful.

Yes! I understand that perfectly.
I get the blind thing as well. Its like something appears and floats in your vision and totally ruins your sight.

Kind of like if you look at something really bright and then look away, but you can still see an imprint of it.

With me, this little blob kind of grows, but also flickers and flashes until i have no direct vision.

I still have periphiral vision but i totally lose all focal vision.

For example, if i try to read anything, i cannot see the word i am looking at, but the words either side i can make out, until i look at them directly, then they are gone.

Its just like the old blind spot card trick that you can do. Its horrible. I usually get my sight back after about an hour or so.

Then the big headache kicks in. Its really rubbish.
Quote from danthebangerboy :Yes! I understand that perfectly.
I get the blind thing as well. Its like something appears and floats in your vision and totally ruins your sight.

Kind of like if you look at something really bright and then look away, but you can still see an imprint of it.

With me, this little blob kind of grows, but also flickers and flashes until i have no direct vision.

I still have periphiral vision but i totally lose all focal vision.

For example, if i try to read anything, i cannot see the word i am looking at, but the words either side i can make out, until i look at them directly, then they are gone.

Its just like the old blind spot card trick that you can do. Its horrible. I usually get my sight back after about an hour or so.

Then the big headache kicks in. Its really rubbish.

hm, I actually had that earlier..i never put it on same wave as my sisters blindness. It lasted about 30 mins, in my right eye - which affected all my eyesight. IT's kinda freaky , then I got a bad headache which lasted about 3 hours.

I guess ya learn something new everyday
Quote from danthebangerboy :The bit about motion sickness

Ah! Now I know what have happened me two or three times. Sometimes after long periods playing FPS games I haven't felt sick, but I have felt slightly "faint" and had a bad feel of balance, a bit like when drunk. I haven't noticed that motion sickness would be usual to me, but I'm pretty sure this has something to do with it.
#22 - 5haz
I have had a very sharp, sudden bout of extreme dizzyness once while playing LFS, I had my headphones on so I could only hear through one side, which feels a bit odd, then suddenly bang I nealy fall off chair, no idea what happened, never happened before or since.
Quote from Bob Smith :Not personally, but I'd find it amusing if the character vomited if you stay in a portal loop long enough.

Funny shit: Metal Gear Solid 3, if you go into First Person mode and spin in circles for a minute or so, then go out of it, Snake actually vomits.

I love MGS... greatest series ever.
Quote from Crashgate3 :Doom had that wierd bouncing up and down thing as you walked. I can see how that would make people ill.

i hate doom.. and eating chicken nuggets after that doenst help either
Some games can be murder after only short amounts of time playing them, more so games where everything is fast paced, although moving my monitor (I keep it under a window so every now and then I can look out and make my eyes refocus, reduces the risk of damaging my eyesight), drinking a lot of fluids and not surprisingly, eating plenty has all started to help.

But it is just motion sickness caused by the game tricking your brain. Strangely I never get motion sickness when I am in a vehicle.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG