The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS ... pretty impressive
I have the Caterham mod for rFactor and did a test today comparing a low-powered (~90kw) Caterham to the LX4 from rFactor (~105kw). First impression was that they were noticeably different. However, the impressive thing is that when I replicated the setups in both "simulations" (the setups are quite different by default), the cars handle in a much more similar way! (fyi, I made a new setup in LFS and used the rFactor settings)

I can't tell for sure - and nobody here can, whether they think so or not - which game is the more authentic and realistic. Personally, LFS feels and looks more realistic to me - however, point of the thread is that I was very interested and impressed to see how similarly the two cars acted in each game when setup in a similar way. They're not exactly the same, but they're very, very similar. I just wish there was a track common to both sims to do a more accurate comparison.

I haven't tried iRacing yet, and I don't plan to. The pricing is ridiculous and I can't imagine anything giving a much more authentic driving experience than LFS. In any case, I would be interested to compare the Legends cars in rFactor and iRacing though ... actually it's probably an idea for a new car in LFS (not that I think new cars is what the LFS developers should be concentrating on right now, but that's another post...)

...has anyone compared the Legends cars in rFactor vs iRacing?

As a side-note, If LFS adopts a similar pricing structure to iRacing then I'll stick to rFactor.

comments?
Uhm, no. rFactor sucks.

My freind had some 30gb of rFactor crap, I think I tried like one or two mods over the years and even installed the demo on my own PC when I got it with my G25, and yet somehow I still find it crap.

Obviously different people like their games differently, but I can play on Race 07/GTR Evo without complaints. It's a different physics engine and that's fine. But rFactor (although it's based on the GTR physics engine) is quite rubbish.
#3 - Gunn
:munching_
When I finally got G25, there was a CD of rFactor included. I said "nice, rFactor..." but those stupid f***ers put only demoversion there
Yeah. RFactor is not quite as bad as reading these forums might make you think. Good things can be achieved on it. It's just that many of it's mods are not that well made and there are bunch of annoyances that make the whole experience a bit of a downer. The biggest being that you never really feel connected to the car like you do on LFS.
-
(Timdpr) DELETED by Timdpr
LFS is realistic in terms of physics.

Rfactor is realistic in terms of cars and tracks...hard to class it as a 'simulator' imo, but that doesn't mean it is not fun.
rFactor to me just does not feel right it's missing something, LFS gives you that feeling that your actually driving and connected to the car and just feels that much better and looks better IMO

Some of my team have been recently on NkPro after thier new update and so far we have been very impressed with the overall feel and handling with a few saying the physics are on par with iRacing and mabe even a little bit better than iRacing, NkPro only losing out to iRacing with regards to the tracks but even then the tracks in Nkpro are on par with LFS tracks and graphics.

It could be an interesting year to come as I think we as sim racers are now being spoilt somewhat
#8 - bbman
rFactor CAN be realistic, but every parameter needs to be considerate... The fact that only a handful of modders aren't complete idiots who just type random numbers in which of course leads to ridiculous results is what gives rFactor a bad name...
Take a look at those tweaks just aimed to reach x km/h at the dragstrip to see LfS' equivalent of those apparently braindead modders...

S14: Do your research properly please... GTREvo is still the old gMotor 2 engine... Just better numbers put in, that's all...
Quote from Ikaponthus :I can't tell for sure - and nobody here can, whether they think so or not - which game is the more authentic and realistic.

Well said

Quote from Ikaponthus :I haven't tried iRacing yet, and I don't plan to. The pricing is ridiculous and I can't imagine anything giving a much more authentic driving experience than LFS. I would be interested to compare the Legends cars in rFactor and iRacing though

Agreed on the pricing, but having tried it for a few months, I cant really say iRacing gives any improvements over LFS in terms of authentic driving experience, except that the damage model seems more developed, but still soft, squidy and bendy.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Uhm, no. rFactor sucks.

Now I realise later in your post you said about trying the demo, but if I may.. Have you tried any more than the demo? as your "rFactor Sucks" comment I believe relates directly to the demo, but not to the hundreds of community made mods out there that add so so much to the game.

It's definatly a Game in my mind, I cant compare it on simulation grounds, but there are those who do and fair play to them. rF's damage modeling is far greater than LFS/iRacing put together.

Personally I find the rF Physics to be on a par with everything else, it gets bad press about that, which ive never really understood.

But all in all, rFactor Demo Sucks, not anything else.

My freind had some 30gb of rFactor crap, I think I tried like one or two mods over the years and even installed the demo on my own PC when I got it with my G25, and yet somehow I still find it crap.

Obviously different people like their games differently, but I can play on Race 07/GTR Evo without complaints. It's a different physics engine and that's fine. But rFactor (although it's based on the GTR physics engine) is quite rubbish.

You have got to be kidding me. GTR is by far the one that stands out as the most "arcade" type racing game out of the three. Well, I only have GTR2 and that's my personal opinion. rFactor is heads and shoulders above GTR2 in terms of realistic physics. Granted, LFS feels *slightly* more authentic than rFactor (and that's arguable, depending on the actual mod you're using for rFactor), but GTR isn't even in the ballpark.

That's all my opinion of course. With rFactor you have to pick and choose your mods carefully, but if you stick to the best-rated mods, it's very under-rated by the "hardcore" simming community. In any case it ****s on GTR.
Quote from timdpr :lfs is realistic in terms of physics.

Rfactor is realistic in terms of cars and tracks...hard to class it as a 'simulator' imo, but that doesn't mean it is not fun.

+1
I'm racing in LFS and also in rFactor. I love both of them. Each of them is special and have their props and cons.
Quote from Timdpr :LFS is realistic in terms of physics.

Gimme a break. It's easily classifiable as a simulator ... well, okay, some of the mods are not so great. But if you stick to the highly rated mods, it's almost as authentic feeling as LFS, which is pretty high praise. To be honest - and I know this is going to draw some critisis - but I think with a good mod, rFactor feels more authentic than the grand daddy of them all: Grand Prix Legends. That game still suffered a bit too much from the "driving on ice" and "harder is better" problems of the first driving "sims".

For me, LFS is no.1, followed by rFactor, then NR2003, then GPL, then Richard Burns Rally, then ... (along way down) ... probably GTR2. iRacing is probably in the top 3 but I can't comment personally and never will at those prices.

Anyway, back on topic. Anyone who has both games: download the Caterham mod, make sure you have the cars setup the same in both games, and compare. I'd be interested to hear your comments.
#15 - 5haz
Rfactor is good once you take a year or two to set it up properly, LFS is good right out of the box. The quality of LFS is also fairly consistant, unlike Rfactor! But then Rfactor has a lot nore variety when it comes to cars/ tracks. But most Rfactor mods are virtually undrivable.

Have you ever tried Neils Corvette mod and the HistoriX mod, clearly not. Trying a demo for 5 minutes doesn't really give you a good impression of Rfactor, I get the feeling certain people just hate Rfactor mindlessly, because the rest of the herd does, funny how one such person has accused me in the past of 'jumping on a bandwagon', ah well.

Anyway, Rfactor 2 is supposedly in development, and they better have sorted out the physics.

The latest RACE/GTR is just as bad, for christs sake I drove Brands Hatch and it was near unreconisable, Graham Hill bend is not blind or uphill! The bumps are the size of mountains and the car behaves like it weighs 2g.
Quote from XTREMEPOWER :What do you think about this video? in my opinion its perfect !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr5zu4bE3jw

The only thing this video shows is that the RF factor F1 handles at least as well as the real one and that someone spent probably a ridiculous amount of time to make that video.

I would be much more impressed if both car were to lose grip under the same condition.
I have Rfactor 2 it is crap IMo but stil fun for day of blasiting some cars around alot of tracks.
The caterham mod is great and also that NAGT mod is good and the reason becaus that CTDP mod lloks so gppd als feels okay is becaus of the modders of CTDP there good
I was playing rFactor for some time, but it is based on SimBin, which I don't like. rFactor has some advantages, because it is opened to other users. Everyone can create his own track or car and upload it to their server, so other players can download them and race with it. The problem is, that not each user-created car or track is on high quality level. There are some really very good mods to rFactor, I loved Porsche PCCG mod for example. The other great advantage of all Simbins is SOUND. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11w3bFPebV8 , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yhHw8iF5e0 ) They all have great sounds of engine, cars, tires,...everything. You felt like you are in that car and it was great atmosphere. Imho, LFS doesn't have such sounds...YET.

But on the physics and setups - LFS wins. I was always curious, if I take some car from some simbin, or richard burns rally and put it to LFS, if it would react the same. With same setup, same weight, same power. Maybe once someone will crate XRR mod to rFactor, then we shall try it

*edit: sorry, I have a OT question, is "tire" the same thing as "tyre"? thanks
#20 - TG44
Quote from majod :Maybe once someone will crate XRR mod to rFactor, then we shall try it
thanks

but you shall not

...ignore me ->

edit: just saw you're getting s2... lol
Quote from majod :*edit: sorry, I have a OT question, is "tire" the same thing as "tyre"? thanks

Tyre is the correct word, tire is the American spelling.

As for rFactor, the demo only being 60 minutes doesn't help, and it didn't persuade me to buy it in any way - by the time you check things out, get used to the game and have a couple of races your time is up. If you didn't know about the rest of the content on offer in the full game you would never buy rFactor. LFS on the other hand did feel more real, despite it being a fictional car and track; and yes agreed with above like a lot of things in live different products are compromises and combining them all together would be great!
Quote from mkinnov8 :

Now I realise later in your post you said about trying the demo, but if I may.. Have you tried any more than the demo? as your "rFactor Sucks" comment I believe relates directly to the demo, but not to the hundreds of community made mods out there that add so so much to the game.

I've played a couple of mods, as I said my freind had like 30gb of rFactor stuff. As I said, they weren't anything special.

Edit : It's the same basic physics engine but it's modded slightly, and again with each seperate mod.
rfactor is just as good as lfs imo. it just matters wut mods you try out and how you like them. in rfactor you will find me on wcorr, orr2, and vorra mostly as the offroad is fun. there are some good ones and some very bad ones.
Rfactor definately is not as good as LFS, but the 2007 mmg F1 mod is amazing!
Quote from Ikaponthus :As a side-note, If LFS adopts a similar pricing structure to iRacing then I'll stick to rFactor.

Word on the streets is the devs suddenly dropped all their plans to switch LFS to a monthly payment plan as soon as they read your post

Rfactor vs LFS ... pretty impressive
(526 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG