The online racing simulator
upgrade from nvidia geforce 7000m
(8 posts, started )
im a total noob with computers and laptops all i can do is use em lol but i heard the the 7000m is a sucky GFX card so im looking into buying a new 1 ill get some1 to install it and everything its just that i need to upgrade

these are the laptop specs

AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology TL-58 / 1.9 GHz
2GB DDR2 RAM
160 GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce 7000M
15.4" CrystalBrite LCD

if you need more info ask
You're trying to upgrade the video card on a laptop? You can't do that, they are integrated into the motherboard, it's not as simple as taking the old one out and putting in the new one. Some high-end laptops like some alienwares come with upgradable video cards, but regular laptops are stuck with whatever they have.
Really? damn then im stuck with this shitty thing lol
#4 - G!NhO
buy a new pc
#5 - TLTD
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :You're trying to upgrade the video card on a laptop? You can't do that, they are integrated into the motherboard, it's not as simple as taking the old one out and putting in the new one. Some high-end laptops like some alienwares come with upgradable video cards, but regular laptops are stuck with whatever they have.

That's not true. You can disassemble the laptop to get to the card and replace it. Unfortunately, I believe that the M means it's part of the mobo.
This isn't a total loss, I have been downloading older games I haven't played like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and runs fine even with shader 3. NFS Most Wanted runs good, the online SSX clone Project Powder looks and runs great, the online Burnout/Twisted Metal-ish game Upshift Strikeracer runs great, other games I use are Tiger Woods 2008, Halo CE, UT2004 (runs on high although looks all the same to me because I like the first one and faster frames), Trackmania (the free online one) runs great, I can run several Dreamcast games in the emulator, I can get a few frames out of the PS2 emulator with Smuggler's run.
BUT when you go to run the newer games (pretty much any game that is on the XBox360), you get unplayable rates. It really sucks to sit there and wait for the frames to tick by as you try and hit escape. NFS games from Carbon on suck big time. You either settle for online games or try to keep in 2006 and newer.

I have a Compaq F700 downgraded to XP. There are forums on getting all the drivers to work and it's well worth it.
There are some advantages to Vista and DX10, but this card wont show it.
But it's cheap and hella better than most of the PCs I've had.
I like to keep a few years back because it's so much easier to buy things anyway.
Quote from PLAYAPIMP :im a total noob with computers and laptops

Does that address your concern TLTD? Would you tell this guy to open up his laptop and tear out the graphics card? I think not.
Quote from PLAYAPIMP :im a total noob with computers and laptops all i can do is use em lol but i heard the the 7000m is a sucky GFX card so im looking into buying a new 1 ill get some1 to install it and everything its just that i need to upgrade

these are the laptop specs

AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile technology TL-58 / 1.9 GHz
2GB DDR2 RAM
160 GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce 7000M
15.4" CrystalBrite LCD

if you need more info ask

Some laptops can have the video card replaced. Some can't.

Example:

We have a Dell Inspiron 1505 w/a radeon x1400 w/128 megs of dedicated video memory. It can be replaced, but there aren't many options..and the option i found is actually a down grade. A friend of mine has a 1501 inspiron and it's x1250 can't be replaced. It is built to the main board.

Perhaps I could help you find out what options you have? What kind of laptop is it specifically? Brand and model number please.

jay
#8 - Jakg
Quote from TLTD :That's not true. You can disassemble the laptop to get to the card and replace it. Unfortunately, I believe that the M means it's part of the mobo.

"m" means mobile - 99% of all graphics chips on laptops are soldered onto the board...

EDIT - Are you sure you can replace it or rather that when you ordered it Dell gave you the choice of different graphics cards?

(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG