The online racing simulator
Extra download-mirrors for the april update patch
Hi there,

at first I want to ask if it's allowed to provide an extra download-mirror for the april update patch. If it's allowed, I will post the URL of my homepage here... If not, ignore this thread
LOL, you just want the patch early

Nice try....

But if they do need any more, I can help out too LOLOL
no, I do not want to have the patch earlier... I planned to download it from LFS.net as soon as it is out and then upload it to my homepage.

It was a serious question - I think LFS.net will be "a bit" overloaded when the patch is out.
#4 - richy
i think it would be nice to have somewhere other than LFS official site to get the download from. everyone dreads patch day, not because of the juicy patch theyre getting but because of the bottleneck of everyone wanting to get it at the same time.
yup, take the nkpro release as an example
There will be mirrors for the download, as there was allways one for patch/full
And probably soon there will be a torrent or something .
Don't worry, you'll get your patch
i can help as well
Quote from BlackEye :There will be mirrors for the download, as there was allways one for patch/full
And probably soon there will be a torrent or something .
Don't worry, you'll get your patch

yep, just check downloadsection on lfs.net. There are always mirrors for download.
so no extra mirrors needed?
I thought only the full version of lfs is available via this mirror page... the Q-Patch for LFS S2 alpha is only avaliable from the Additional Downloads section @ LFS.net. Of course, OCRANA and other download mirrors also host the Q-Patch, but no link on LFS.net is saying so , and I asked for this fact if I can provide an extra mirror.

or can I subscribe in any way to this mirror-page?
I *could* provide a mirror, but i'm not going too...

I should imagine there's quite a lot of webmasters playing LFS, I know there's a number of game programmers who'd rather play LFS than their own stuff, if the LFS-team feal they need more bandwidth they'll ask .
I believe that Victor's made it quite clear in the past that in terms of bandwidth, the LFS sites arent at capacity. Granted that does change on patch days, but you know

I'm sure that if you want to mirror, unofficially, making a thread which we can post into and providing links wont be a problem.
#12 - axus
Patches are usually quite small... granted, this will be a bit bigger with new track meshes and possibly car meshes and configs and so on but probably still under 20mb.
Using a bittorrent seed works for quite a lot of linux distributions with lack of bandwith ... why then not doing this in this case.

Individual mirrors always make is necessary to distribute the patch ... making sure it's ok (checksum) and then the users need to try different mirrors with no feedback which mirror is best.

Setting up a tracker and then putting up like 2 - 3 main servers for releasing the patch would do all the jobs at once ...

However 20megs isn't that much as it couldn't be taken care of otherwise.
Quote from Madman_CZ :yup, take the nkpro release as an example

Wasn't really a problem after 3d Gamers crashed it was soon fine 5 minutes later and gave a good download at 170 KB/sec. There was also an RSC mirror had I used that I would probably still be downloading gave 12 KB/sec.

I also think that the LFS patch isn't going to have nearly as many initial downloads as nK, as those downloading the patch on the day of release will be the small (as in a few hundred) number of people who follow LFS, also there are a lot who will only find out about the patch when they see R servers in the list.

Going to grab a fresh copy of LFS now.
#15 - Jakg
Quote from richy :i think it would be nice to have somewhere other than LFS official site to get the download from. everyone dreads patch day, not because of the juicy patch theyre getting but because of the bottleneck of everyone wanting to get it at the same time.

the perfect application of BitTorrent!
Someone could also post it on usenet which almost garantees max download speeds. At least it does for me
There are enough high bandwidth mirrors already, including inque.
I think those combined can handle the 'update frenzy' just fine
not if you look at these forum lags
Quote from St4Lk3R :not if you look at these forum lags

vBulliten often seems to be slow, look at RSC, downloads and subsites are fast the forum is painfully slow.
Yeah I was just going to say that an official torrent is probably plan A
The tried the torrent idea with S2 but it was a complete flop, everyone (inc people who said they would use the torrent) decided to go for one of the mirrors rather then the torrent.
#22 - stay
Torrented S2 the night it was released and it came down at a very heathly lick. Plenty other people did so too; it doesn't need everyone, or even most people to use the bittorrent download method to make a noticeable difference to the load on a server.

In any case, the LFS chaps will have plenty mirrors arranged in advance so creaking servers hopefully shouldn't be an issue.

However, this is exactly the type of legal application where Bittorrent excels; its silly not to use it if practicable to do so.

Note that recently ISP's are moving towards traffic management of P2P protocols. Pipex for example limit _all_ P2P users _all_ of the time to around 20K download speeds. Very unfriendly, and just a tad draconian.

Happily, you can usually circumvent traffic management by using the protocol encryption provided in the latest versions of utorrent, Azureus and BitComet. Just make sure you enable it
The thing often missing in legal torrent situations is a high speed server joining in, even if the idea is to bypass the need of a server, torrents can start out very slow even if there are reasonably high speed peers and seeds, a server which completely disregards tit-for-tat will initally speed up traffic significantly, and as seeds increase its load will of course drop.
If I remember correctly there weren't any serious problems when the LFS Alpha was released due to a good bunch of mirrors and I actually don't expect to not get the patch when it is released. So... don't worry on the day, when the Guru is giving back TEH Patch
Yeah I don't think mirrors should be much of a problem....

I just hope that whoever decides to do a torrent download, please be sure and have some available upload when you go play online!!! I remember people playing the new patch, while also having their torrents set to max upload, and it was a laggy experience. Any background downloads/uploads can affect this. I just hope people are smart enough to limit it a bit

Extra download-mirrors for the april update patch
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG