The online racing simulator
Red and White barriers. Should they stay as they are???
Well ive had a thought about the red and white barriers. My opiniun is that they should stay as they are one cos of cheats like smashing through them if they moved or we wouldnt get the funny moments of som1 skidding into them then fly like crazy.

What are your thoughts?
I see your point, especially if there is a few of you having a mess around on a server and its funny seeing it but if you are in a serious race situation its not good. as an example, you are in a race with lets say 18 other drivers, its a 10 lap race and you are in the top 3 with 1 lap to go.

Your tyres start to overheat and you drift slightly wide coming out of a corner, touch the bouncy barriers and fly 200ft into the sky. That is such a piss off when that happens, plus its not at all realistic.

In real life, since when have you seen a car touch some armo at a low speed and ping into the air, or drive through a solid piece or armco and come off unscathed??
Technically there's nothing wrong with the barriers as they are - that bug is caused by lag and physics frequencies, not the barriers themselves
But yes, of course something needs done about it.

Please tell me you don't think this has never been mentioned before? New topics even automatically search FOR you now!
From a coding point of view, I was thinking that they could have some sort of bounding box that extends a metre or so beyond their boundaries, so that if the car penetrates it tells the physics engine 'whoa, careful, the car might become entangled in a barrier in a few more cycles' and can take steps to prevent it.
The problem at the moment is that because the barriers can be placed anywhere, the physics engine only realises the car has hit *after* it's penetrated the object which is why you come flying back out at a zillion mph.
It'd work for normal tracks and shortcut blocking, but can you imagine it in a normal autocross race? In those you're always close to the barriers, so the extra physics cycles would kill everyone in the world

I bet there's probably a really simple fix that nobody has thought of yet. Like having the barrier note the direction the car is travelling and have it pushed the opposite way with a reduced force.
Maybe less than a metre. I dunno.

*gets calculator out*

Fastest speed we're likely to encounter is ~200mph or ~90m/s

Physics calculations are 100Hz I think?

Hmm.. so yeah, it'd have to be about a metre to catch it at least a cycle before you hit.

[edit]Although that'd only be head on at full speed in a BF1. If you're only talking about approaching them side-on at normal speeds, the bounding box could be cut down to ~10cm and it'd catch most impacts.
Quote from Dajmin :Technically there's nothing wrong with the barriers as they are - that bug is caused by lag and physics frequencies, not the barriers themselves

Please tell me you don't think this has never been mentioned before? New topics even automatically search FOR you now!

how can he notice about theses barrier if he is a demo racer ? except the blackwood one but its hard to hit them
No, it's not hard to hit them.
Quote from Dajmin :Technically there's nothing wrong with the barriers as they are - that bug is caused by lag and physics frequencies, not the barriers themselves

This barriers thing is probably one of the most long running, if not the only ongoing issue. Plus most other physics are spot on, even the cromo sign board things you can use for layouts are nowhere near as bad as the red and white ones. Strange how its only one particular sort of barrier that does this.
Quote from danthebangerboy :This barriers thing is probably one of the most long running, if not the only ongoing issue. Plus most other physics are spot on, even the cromo sign board things you can use for layouts are nowhere near as bad as the red and white ones. Strange how its only one particular sort of barrier that does this.

Yeah the cromo ads are a tad better, but not that much. It damages your suspension like hell if you approach it with a specific angle and you end up jumping (not flying, jumping), with 1 or 2 red susp.
My theory on the barriers is that the physics doesn't update enough to realise you're hitting it before enough of your momentum has already passed through it. Because they're so narrow it doesn't realise what angle you've come in from so it fires equal forces in all directions. Probably way off, but that's what I'd guess.

I made a sort of suggestion about this before, that if the barriers noted the angle of approach whenever something collided with it, so that it never tries to force you out the wrong side and merely uses the old incidence/refraction angle calculation to keep you where you are. Maybe not ideal, but better than launching you into space

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG