The online racing simulator
We aint Americans, we dont understund how cool it is to run in straight line.
-
(Christopher Raemisch) DELETED by Christopher Raemisch
A drag race is won within the first 60 feet. Anything after that is just keeping the car from crashing. That's why when you watch a top-fuel drag race, sometimes you see a driver spin their tires too much off the start, and they just end up doing a burnout and they just let off halfway down the track because there's no point in continuing since they know they've lost already.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhNLBvcS6xk
Drag Racing is exciting because you truly don't know what will happen. They could hit the gas and explode, or make a WR pass. You just don't know. The coolest things to watch are pedal battles, where they both start spinning the tires and see who can pedal it across the line first.

http://videos.streetfire.net/v ... l-And-Funny-Car_74169.htm
Quote from UncleBenny : You could take any Nascar driver and stick him in an F1 car and he'd at least make it around the track, might be slow but he'd still make it. You would not be able to throw a Nascar driver in a top fuel dragster and expect them to make a full throttle pass.[b/] They'd be lucky to make it half way before getting out of the throttle.

What?! That is a horrible comparison.

You can't compare a full throttle pass down a drag strip in a 6000hp car and someone driving an F1 car around a track at a slow to moderate pace at best...
You can pluck all the (correct) statistics you want Chris, but driving Top Fuel drag cars isn't the same as anything else. I'm most certain you've never been to an event and watched one on the strip.
Quote from BlueFlame :You can pluck all the (correct) statistics you want Chris, but driving Top Fuel drag cars isn't the same as anything else.

What do you mean? No-one is saying that top fuel drag cars are the same as anything else. But it's not exactly any better then any other form of racing. It's just, well, different. Just like go karts versus Nascar. They're different, but neither is better then the other.
Quote from wheel4hummer :What do you mean? No-one is saying that top fuel drag cars are the same as anything else. But it's not exactly any better then any other form of racing. It's just, well, different. Just like go karts versus Nascar. They're different, but neither is better then the other.

My arguement was never that Drag Racing is better than ANYTHING. I was just saying to Chris Raemisch that it's harder to drive than HE thinks.
Quote from BlueFlame :My arguement was never that Drag Racing is better than ANYTHING. I was just saying to Chris Raemisch that it's harder to drive than HE thinks.

How is your argument any more valid? Have you ever driven a top fuel dragster either?
anyone seen the vid where hammond was in the F1 car? You can't drive them at a slow or moderate pace...the tires never heat up and you never generate downforce...you understeer into the wall.

Sure, if things go right in a run its just hold on...

However, things often times don't go right. If you're not an active participant in the run you're going to hit the wall, and hit it hard...

You have to be really good in a really short amount of time.

Also, like was brought up "pedal fests" are won by the driver with the most car control.

Top fuel, like F1, is just an exercise in engineering anymore...but both take huge amount of skill, and are extremely dangerous to the driver in both sports.

I don't feel like arguing the point anymore...but I'm tired of reading why you think you're so great at drag racing, and its such a simple and easy sport because you take your civic and do 15 second passes once a year.
#35 - 5haz
The engineer/tuner is more important in drag racing, their actions decide wether the car overpowers the track in the first place and so causing pedal fests.

Still bloody amazing to watch though.
Quote from wheel4hummer :How is your argument any more valid? Have you ever driven a top fuel dragster either?

No, but rather than saying "THATS EASY THAT IS THEY ONLY GO IN STRAIGHT LINES" I thought I'd share my two.
Quote from spanks :anyone seen the vid where hammond was in the f1 car? You can't drive them at a slow or moderate pace...the tires never heat up and you never generate downforce...you understeer into the wall.

Sure, if things go right in a run its just hold on...

However, things often times don't go right. If you're not an active participant in the run you're going to hit the wall, and hit it hard...

You have to be really good in a really short amount of time.

Also, like was brought up "pedal fests" are won by the driver with the most car control.

Top fuel, like f1, is just an exercise in engineering anymore...but both take huge amount of skill, and are extremely dangerous to the driver in both sports.

I don't feel like arguing the point anymore...but i'm tired of reading why you think you're so great at drag racing, and its such a simple and easy sport because you take your civic and do 15 second passes once a year.

+2
Quote from spanks :I don't feel like arguing the point anymore...but I'm tired of reading why you think you're so great at drag racing, and its such a simple and easy sport because you take your civic and do 15 second passes once a year.

15 seconds? Probably more like 17 seconds.
Why does every single racing thread that discuss a different discipline of racing becomes a "circuit/F1 > w/e the hell the thread's about"?

Seriously...

Drag Racing isn't exactly easy. It's probably nowhere near as hard as F1 (for all you F1 snobbish ego maniacs YES I SAID IT HAPPY?) but it sure as hell is a whole lot harder then just pressing the gas and going straight. With a car that's as powerful as the dragster I wouldn't be surprised that it's difficult to drive even if it is driving a straight line.

Seriously I expect better from a racing community that prides itself in being intelligent about motorsports....
Quote from lizardfolk :Why does every single racing thread that discuss a different discipline of racing becomes a "circuit/F1 > w/e the hell the thread's about"?

Seriously...

Drag Racing isn't exactly easy. It's probably nowhere near as hard as F1 (for all you F1 snobbish ego maniacs YES I SAID IT HAPPY?) but it sure as hell is a whole lot harder then just pressing the gas and going straight. With a car that's as powerful as the dragster I wouldn't be surprised that it's difficult to drive even if it is driving a straight line.

Seriously I expect better from a racing community that prides itself in being intelligent about motorsports....

Thats exactly the point I have been trying to get across. If I haven't been then I will need to get double check my wording before I post. Never anywhere did I mention it was easy, only that anyone with some intelligence in their brain would not have a problem being competitive on the dragstrip.

FTR I run 13.7's =P
Guys...dragsters go over 300 mph...I have seen drivers who still struggle with maintaining their line after 3 years of drag racing while others keep their car perfectly straight after their rookie season which looks boringly easy on TV mind you. But then again, everything in racing looks so much easier on TV. I've had friends who thought that F1 was literally easy driving (as in as easy as hitting your marks driving in a parking lot). To F1 fans who actually understand the difficulty of F1 (through sims or otherwise), seeing a car drive the line flawlessly is an amazing sight because the F1 fan understands what the driver is going through.

So unless you enjoy the non-motorsport fans bashing your own favorite sport because of sheer stupidity or ignorance, I suggest you dont do it to other disciplines of motorsports unless you are a complete hypocrite.

Quote from Christopher Raemisch :Thats exactly the point I have been trying to get across. If I haven't been then I will need to get double check my wording before I post. Never anywhere did I mention it was easy, only that anyone with some intelligence in their brain would not have a problem being competitive on the dragstrip.

It is more of a mechanic's sport than it is a driver's sport. of course, drivers have had their wrist completely snapped when trying to even handle the steering wheel. But of course going at 300+ mph I dont really expect anything less. I think the notion that "with some intelligence" wouldn't be giving the difficulty of controlling that monster its due credit.

Quote from Christopher Raemisch :

FTR I run 13.7's =P

Which means absolutely nothing unless you've driven a real life funny car OR played a drag sim (and yes there is one out there)
-
(Christopher Raemisch) DELETED by Christopher Raemisch
Quote from Christopher Raemisch :Hate to burst your bubble blueflame but funnycars pull 5g's during a launch, they probably pull 5g's what, 3-5 times a day? F1 drivers pull that at least once a lap, which races can be over 70 laps.

True 5g's people can black out, but chances are if your fit you won't have any problems.

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5839419.html Here is a patent for a throttle control that drivers can use to launch and stage their cars.

http://www.racetronics.net/

http://www.andra.com.au/article.asp?Id=1483
"“We have changed a bit on the two step, working the progressive boost systems in place in trying to make it less angry,” smiled Signorelli." A two step is a device that limits HP to get good launches at WOT.

If you did % wise of time on the track maybe, just maybe you could say that they do more throttle control. Drift racers hold drifts longer than it takes a funnycar to make a run, hell depending on the circuit drift racers probably hold a drift longer than it takes the funnycar to make it's runs during a single day.

If throttle control is so important for a drag racer, why dont they show it in the broadcasts? Never once have I heard a commentator say, "wow look at that throttle control!"

Drag racing is fun, and exciting, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist driver to make these cars run well, it's down to money and mechanics in the shop, the driver is just along for the ride.

None of the links that you provided have anything to do with nitro cars.

You really shouldn't believe everything you see or hear on the tv either... If the commentator isn't talking about throttle control in a nitro car then he really doesn't know what his talking about. Just like yourself it seams.. You really must be naive if you think that anyone can drive 7000hp in a straight line.
Quote from Dizman : You really must be naive if you think that anyone can drive 7000hp in a straight line.

Well sure not anyone can... There are plenty of people that are paralyzed etc out there...

But YOU must really be stupid if you think that is what he is saying..
Quote from AjRose :Well sure not anyone can... There are plenty of people that are paralyzed etc out there...

But YOU must really be stupid if you think that is what he is saying..

Yea but that's what Chris is saying anyway..
Would be like saying "Oh, I can do that Formula 1 thing... I just need to be fit, that's all."
Quote from AjRose :But YOU must really be stupid if you think that is what he is saying..

Yeah, you're right. He's not saying that at all..

Quote from Christopher Raemisch :

Does help all they gotta do is keep the car strait and the engineers do the rest

Still to keep a car strait with that much power going down still takes some skill, but drag racing is more about the performance of the vehicle more than the driver, sure it takes skill, but I bet you my paycheck you could take any drag racer that knows what they are doing and they would run the same times in the same car.

I've seen many people struggle just stepping up from street classes to alcohol cars let alone a nitro car. Running consistent 13's in a street car is a world away from a 4 second nitro funny car.
You guys are comparing apples to oranges. My father used to race in the IHRA. I used to race supercross. Could I get in his car and run his times without any practice? No. Could he jump on my bike and do what I do without any practice? No.

It depends on the person more than anything. Can some people jump in a Top Fuel car and learn faster than others? You bet. The same could be said about F1, NASCAR, USAC, Trophy trucks, you name it. Some people will find certain things easier to learn than others. It really doesn't make anything any better than anything else. It's entirely different monsters.

I also would like to add that Top Fuel this year is estimated more in the range of 8000 - 8500 hp. Just thought I'd point that out.

Just once I'd like to see a thread not turned into an argument about which racing is better. Everybody has their opinion and these arguments won't change anybodies mind. And please stop turning this into a American versus everybody else thing (R-M). You guys have great racing over there and we have what we think is great racing here. As long as everyone is happy then it doesn't matter.

To me, Top Fuel is interesting because they are getting that much power out of a 500ci engine and getting it to the ground. F1 is entertaining because those guys get those cars to corner the way they do. NASCAR is neat because those guys go for such a long time without falling asleep. It all boils down to what you like.

Happy Holidays!
Well European Top Fuel drag racing is faster than American.
-
(Sueycide_FD) DELETED by Sueycide_FD
Driving a Dragster, Funny Car, Pro Stock, or any of the pro classes is one thing, but setting the car up is a whole different story.I've been to maybe 20 drag events from Rockingham when i was little to Pomona 2 years back and seen enough, although not much of a fan anymore.

Quote from BlueFlame :Well European Top Fuel drag racing is faster than American.

No where near.
Quote from BlueFlame :What is nowhere near?

European drag racing speeds are nowhere near American.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG