The online racing simulator
Porsche following Audi, pulls factory team out of ALMS
Awww
Yeh, no shit. Just hope somebody will pick up a customer RS Spyder like Dyson did in the past. Otherwise we'll just be looking at Acura (still under question) vs. Mazda in P2.
Maybe it's time we see the #16 and 20 of Dyson up front again!
Quote from titanLS :Maybe it's time we see the #16 and 20 of Dyson up front again!

Just so there's no confusion, Dyson will be fielding a pair of Mazda-powered Lola coupes in 2009. Linky.
Please excuse my ignorance, but now that Audi and now Porsche have pulled out of ALMS, does that affect them taking part in the LeMans 24hrs next June?
This isn't exactly NEWS, this was supposed to happen. Or at least no one expected to see Penske Porsches in ALMS next season. Penske goes to Grand-Am and fields Porsches there and keeps the team busy while board members in Weissach makes up their mind about possible comeback in 2011 when new regulations come.
Quote from GFresh :Please excuse my ignorance, but now that Audi and now Porsche have pulled out of ALMS, does that affect them taking part in the LeMans 24hrs next June?

Audi has the new car coming out and they will attend Le Mans.

One could say Le Mans is the reason for pullout from ALMS, because beating Peugeots there is more important than beating Acuras in ALMS. Unfortunately. Audi will do Sebring though.

That's why I'd call Audi's actions more like "reduction of race activity" than pullout, since they're still committed to the 'category'.
#9 - 5haz
Wow, ALMS has gone from being great to being shit in about 5 minutes.
Is it me or is Motorsport coming to an end???
Quote from 5haz :Wow, ALMS has gone from being great to being shit in about 5 minutes.

That happened last week when Audi informed pullout. Like I said, this is not exactly even news.

Shame that Audi pulled out right now when there would have been proper competition in P1. Penske Porsches created some great David vs. Goliath races against Audi but that wasn't real competition since there was no overall championship.

GT2 will offer some consolation. Ferrari vs. Porsche vs. BMW vs. Corvette. And possibly vs. Jaguars.
Quote from Vinnylegends :Is it me or is Motorsport coming to an end???

It's just you. Teleportation technology is not yet surpassing motor vehicles.
Quote from deggis :Audi has the new car coming out and they will attend Le Mans.

One could say Le Mans is the reason for pullout from ALMS, because beating Peugeots there is more important than beating Acuras in ALMS. Unfortunately. Audi will do Sebring though.

That's why I'd call Audi's actions more like "reduction of race activity" than pullout, since they're still committed to the 'category'.

Oh good, i'm going in 2009 for one of my "Stag do's", and i was starting to fear i'd be watching 4 cars for the 24hrs...
Quote from deggis :
GT2 will offer some consolation. Ferrari vs. Porsche vs. BMW vs. Corvette. And possibly vs. Jaguars.

Hey deggis, are there any links to speculations about the Jags? Would be interesting to follow the development.
#15 - 5haz

Top level motorsport it, club racing is still going strong.

However when it comes to international racing, its like 1993 all over again.

HHmm... I wouldn't say that. I would say there is a re-adjustment. We may say massive drop offs in official numbers for sure. But as long as people have engines and wheels there'll still be racing
Quote from 5haz :Top level motorsport it, club racing is still going strong.

However when it comes to international racing, its like 1993 all over again.

Same with the credit crunch (sorry to use that term i hate it but there was nothibg else) and bothe motorsport and the econemy will come back,
also the ALMS and the LMS were nevre that good anyway.
they were just a way for Le Mans teams to pass the time betwean each running of the greatest race ever and ALMS was just for americans that wanted to race LM cars without leaving America
#18 - 5haz
Quote from Alistair :Same with the credit crunch (sorry to use that term i hate it but there was nothibg else) and bothe motorsport and the econemy will come back,
also the ALMS and the LMS were nevre that good anyway.
they were just a way for Le Mans teams to pass the time betwean each running of the greatest race ever and ALMS was just for americans that wanted to race LM cars without leaving America

Indeed, we will have to wait again until the FIA goes through a phase of less severe ballsing things up and the world economic situation sorts itself out.

Also, wasn't there some kind of big crash around 1992/93, the year sports car racing died.

This really is a massive blow to ALMS though, just like group C/ World sports cars when all the manufacturers started pulling out leaving just Peugeot on their own, funny how Peugeot's 908 sports car programe is in full swing while everyone else is shutting up shop, hmmmm. Just like early 90's, it all the manufacteres pulled out at a time when regulations were changed to 3 litre engines, rather like the ACO's idea now, although for the completely stupid reason of 'noise abatement'.

The problem is, there are too many people at the top now who only care about money, not racing, and so international racing has grown excessively expensive, but now when the crunch comes, those with the power are completely incompetant when it comes to making racing cheaper/ more exciting, and so the ideas they churn out are complete bollocks, causing manufacteres to leave dissolusioned and butchering the sport.
Quote from Speedy Pro :Hey deggis, are there any links to speculations about the Jags? Would be interesting to follow the development.

http://www.ten-tenths.com/foru ... 2346597&postcount=668

Not much info yet...

Quote from 5haz :Also, wasn't there some kind of big crash around 1992/93, the year sports car racing died.

This really is a massive blow to ALMS though, just like group C/ World sports cars when all the manufacturers started pulling out leaving just Peugeot on their own, funny how Peugeot's 908 sports car programe is in full swing while everyone else is shutting up shop, hmmmm. Just like early 90's, it all the manufacteres pulled out at a time when regulations were changed to 3 litre engines, rather like the ACO's idea now, although for the completely stupid reason of 'noise abatement'.

I wouldn't make comparisons to 1992/1993. The engine rule changes had a lot to do with that. Change to 3.5L format meant half of the grids (customer Porsches) just became obsolete in a second. Also big difference is that back then e.g. Jaguar and Mercedes quit completely. Audi has not done that.

Acura and Audi are both building new cars, depending on choice of engine size they could be already eligible for 2011 regs. Hopefully downturn is over at that point.

You're making ALMS fate sound worse than it really is. Only news was Audi's pullout. It was already months aco speculated that this could be last season for Penske & Porsche (...in P2 ). I wasn't surprised a bit.

LMS is in deeper shit though. Last season Audi and Peugeot's presents made it took a step foward but now it's back to square one. Audi's pullout leaves little reason to Peugeot to be there, especially with so crappy tv coverage.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG