The online racing simulator
Scirocco - Yawn
(251 posts, started )
Quote from southamptonfc :Ok, in nearly all cases unmodified road cars in real life cannot be raced. They simply aren't up to the stresses put on the car during racing. They will literally fall apart and catch fire.

What? That's just plain wrong. What about a trackday - plenty, if not all, road cars are up to track days with no modifications.
Quote from southamptonfc :So to go to all this effort to accurately reproduce a car that can't be used for racing (in stock form), in a racing sim is a bit of a contradiction imo.

See above
Quote from southamptonfc :And again IMO, this is a dull car, not something that I want to race - bear in mind that I have owned 3 VWs as I've already mentioned and had them on the ring.

Where they all caught fire?
Quote from southamptonfc :I do agree that it might provide close racing but personally only the GTRs and faster Formula cars really do it for me so in this thread I'm expressing my opinion, that is all.

Then stop arguing. If it's only an opinion, why the need to try and correct everyone? That's more than I would do!!
Quote from southamptonfc :The brakes will litterally catch fire within 2 laps. The oil temperature will go into danger levels within 10 laps, the oil will thin out and then engine will be damaged.

No they won't. Even if the oil temperature got very hot it would almost certainly still give enough oil pressure and lubrication. But perhaps the engine oil and brake fluid has been upgraded anyway?
Quote from southamptonfc :If the point is to model a VW scirroco completely accurately, then this should also happen. That's why I also don't like the restriction of setup options, there seems to be a contradiction there.

A contradiction of what?
Quote from Forbin :I would certainly hope that one who is racing a production car at least uses decent fluids (full synthetic oil, high-temp brake fluid, fresh coolant). A good set of brake pads and tires would not go amiss either. These are maintinence items that simply get more attention when racing and it's exactly what I did with my bike when I took it to the track, while still otherwise in street trim.

Agreed but again there is a big jump from a trackday to racing.
Let me ask you a question... Do you think anyone gives a s*** about your opinion towards this VW. Considering that the majority of people are happy to see it and are looking forward to gettin' it in the new patch.

World doesn't spin around you, never did. Go cry somewhere else.. jeez grown ups nowadays - act more imature than kids.
Quote from tristancliffe :What? That's just plain wrong. What about a trackday - plenty, if not all, road cars are up to track days with no modifications.
See above
Where they all caught fire?
Then stop arguing. If it's only an opinion, why the need to try and correct everyone? That's more than I would do!!
No they won't. Even if the oil temperature got very hot it would almost certainly still give enough oil pressure and lubrication. But perhaps the engine oil and brake fluid has been upgraded anyway?
A contradiction of what?

I'm just replying to replies to my posts!??!

Yes I've had brakes catch fire twice.
Quote from southamptonfc :Agreed but again there is a big jump from a trackday to racing.

Not really - you get in, you drive it as fast as you can, you come in. The only difference is no laptiming and no competition. Or do you only drive gently on track days?

Edit: Really? You must be doing something very very wrong. Brake pad material won't burn until four figure temperatures (which you won't be reaching in any bulk mass), and steel would have been melting first. The fluid might boil, but it won't burn unless it leaks... I've never seen road car brakes catch fire without something seriously wrong with them (not including overuse).
Quote from Electric Eye :Let me ask you a question... Do you think anyone gives a s*** about your opinion towards this VW. Considering that the majority of people are happy to see it and are looking forward to gettin' it in the new patch.

World doesn't spin around you, never did. Go cry somewhere else.. jeez grown ups nowadays - act more imature than kids.

I don't care what people think of my opinion but lot's of people including yourself have decided to reply so you obviously do!

I'm not crying, I'm offering my opinion. That's what a forum is for....
Oh rite pal, I thought it was here for flamin' non licensed players for being "evil" and not buying the product.
Quote from tristancliffe :Not really - you get in, you drive it as fast as you can, you come in. The only difference is no laptiming and no competition. Or do you only drive gently on track days?

Edit: Really? You must be doing something very very wrong. Brake pad material won't burn until four figure temperatures (which you won't be reaching in any bulk mass), and steel would have been melting first. The fluid might boil, but it won't burn unless it leaks... I've never seen road car brakes catch fire without something seriously wrong with them (not including overuse).

I've seen it happen on lots of road cars and yes I do take it easy on my car at track days.
Quote from southamptonfc :Agreed but again there is a big jump from a trackday to racing.

Me doing a trackday

Me doing a race

Same corner, but instead of being on my own, I'm chasing someone. Very little difference at all in terms of speed or aggressiveness. The bike in front of me was an Aprilia RS250 Cup, and the only place he had me was sheer power on the straights.
Quote from Forbin :I would certainly hope that one who is racing a production car at least uses decent fluids (full synthetic oil, high-temp brake fluid, fresh coolant). A good set of brake pads and tires would not go amiss either. These are maintinence items that simply get more attention when racing and it's exactly what I did with my bike when I took it to the track, while still otherwise in street trim.

Yeehh, go dude from Star Wars.

Btw GL with the SV after your off you told us about.
Quote from AndroidXP :Don't forget it has traction control, too.

This, coupled with the new ABS settings = gayness.

Other than that I think the car will be decent.
ABS is so useless. I were trying it on some servers and... What's the point to use it???? We just lose a lot of risk to rip off your tires (talking about race), and fun at the same time.
Quote from BigTime :
Quote from AndroidXP :I doubt it will be very inspiring. Don't forget it has traction control, too.

Don't forget the:
Quote from Scawen :stability control systems

I think LFS will do an excellent job simulating such car that is designed to separate you from the experience as much as possible. This should in no way be misconstrued as a slight on LFS, though.

O/T:
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Yeehh, go dude from Star Wars.

Btw GL with the SV after your off you told us about.

Thanks.
Two, actually. Technically I didn't go off the track on the second (and hardest) one, though. It's true what they say, new bikes do crash, especially in those conditions.
Quote from southamptonfc :I've seen it happen on lots of road cars and yes I do take it easy on my car at track days.

Funny how nobody else has problems with braking fires. Have you tried driving quickly on a track day. It's quite good fun you know. If you pretend there are cars around you it's like a race - same speed, same commitment, but less chance of hitting people
Quote from BigTime :
Quote from AndroidXP :Don't forget it has traction control, too.

ABS you could sensibly turn off, we have managed thus far without it. Given that, unlike it's GT24 racing brother, the production Scirocco lacks a mechanical LSD, as we all know what the FXO is like set up like this, I'd imagine you'll be getting more friendly than you'd like with the TC.
What? You're telling me it'll only have an open differential? Man, I thought we'd at least be able to change it to an LSD of some sort.
Quote from W1ldPort75 :I dont get it , the VW isnt even out yet and people are bitching about it already !! early 2009 , drive the VW for a day or two , and if you dont like it , then bitch around !! I am very happy that we are getting a new car , and a real one , so we can compare to real life

fixed it for you
Quote from hrtburnout :What? You're telling me it'll only have an open differential? Man, I thought we'd at least be able to change it to an LSD of some sort.

Might use traction control to create the effect of a poor-mans LSD. Maybe that's why it's taking so long.

If not, a choice of open or a LSD with say, 2 or 3 settings would be plenty. With LFS's-overly-happy-to-spin the inside wheel antics, I don't think an open diff would make the car feel that... 'real'...
Quote :
UF1000
Engine: 1.0 litre inline 4
Power: 41kW (55bhp) @ 5589 rpm
Torque: 88Nm (65 lbft) @ 3009 rpm
Total Mass: 600 kg (1323 lbs)
Power-weight: 69 W/kg (93 bhp/ton)

UF1000 has to be one the most fun cars to race despite being so slow. The VW's bhp is between the XFG and FXO (125 bhp v 152 bhp v 212 bhp). Looks like another single class car, but that doesn't matter if it's good to drive/race.
Quote from southamptonfc :Ok, in nearly all cases unmodified road cars in real life cannot be raced. They simply aren't up to the stresses put on the car during racing. They will literally fall apart and catch fire.

Bollocks, my Dad's 1977 Morgan +8 was hillclimbed and sprinted from new by its first owner, my Dad then raced it for 19 years until he sold it last year. It needed a new chassis really for competition use, though it still made a good road car. I think 30 years is a pretty good lifespan for a competition car, especially given that most road cars don't last that long. Driven to the circuit for every event it performed brilliantly really the only major issue was the rate it went through rear brake shoes (though this was due to Morgan's lovely but rather untechnical approach to car design which meant the rear drums never stood a chance to cope with the job being asked of them, even on the road). In all the years it less us down 3 times, once all the electrics burnt out following a short, the diff failed driving back from the Nurburgring (within walking distance to home) and once a stub axle failed in dramatic fashion out of Paddock Hill bend (believed to be the only time this component has ever failed in a Morgan). It needed minor work over the time, rear axle was rebuilt twice, gearbox once, engine once and was serviced as a road car. Only modifications to it were racing fluids, rollbar, fire extinguisher, strut brace, harnesses and a tin plate to replace the seat cushion (so my Dad could sit low enough to pass the rollbar check). There are similar spec cars to this that have done 24 hour races without drama year on year.

Our Focus 1.6 has done two track days without any (car induced) drama, the brakes fade after a while (on DOT4) but other than that it is great fun and pretty bulletproof, far less fragile than a lot of racing cars. With the necessary safety modifications and racing fluids I see no reason why it wouldn't do a 24 hour race without a hiccup. I know for a fact that competitive Group N spec cars have run with standard calipers, discs and fast road pads in endurance racing and over 3 hours there is no real disadvantage or reliabilty issue. Autocar did a feature where they raced several completely standard new road cars for 24 hours and most of them made it to the finish after a few pad and tyre changes.

Quote from tristancliffe :Not really - you get in, you drive it as fast as you can, you come in. The only difference is no laptiming and no competition. Or do you only drive gently on track days?

I think going easier on the car in places is sensible on track days if you're not driving a car with suitable brake fluid, for example when we took the Focus to Donington we found we had no issue with the brakes if we broke gently for the chicane and Redgate, this was also useful for letting people in cars that could pass us on the straights but hold up our enjoyment in the twisty bits get away from us (its funny how nobody in a GT3 or an R8 can acknowledge the fact that a shopping trolley is faster than them ). By doing this the brakes would last 30 minutes with a short cooling period and allow us to go full pace from Redgate to Coppice, the interesting part of the track, obviously some heavy braking can't be avoided like going into the Old Hairpin.
I find most people on this site who moan about FWD don't actualy have a car, nor do they have any driving experience.
Ahem. I drive an 82HP, 2000 lb, FWD car with a 4-speed manual. I also race a 72HP, 400 lb bike with a 6-speed sequential, and I used to race a 50HP, 400 lb bike with a 6-speed sequential (see above posts).

I still hate FWD.
I have a mk4 golf, 1.4, complete heavy steaming turd of a car, but wth, I still enjoy driving it.

On a single hotlap the scirocco wont be much fun at all, but give it a full grid with everyone on tarded setups i'm sure it would be quite fun.

Though i'd rather have waited for a car like this and have finished interiors, breaking body parts or rain, something to add soemthing to the game, rather than a car to boost the online ratings for a few days.
Quote from orange_boy_uk :I find most people on this site who moan about FWD don't actualy have a car, nor do they have any driving experience.

I drive an S40 T5 IRL (226bhp and FWD) so I speak from a little bit of experience when I bitch about FWDs

Scirocco - Yawn
(251 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG