The online racing simulator
Short Review (Driving Force GT)
Lets start off by making it clear that this wheel does infact work on PC, Using the support for the Driving Force Pro. All of the buttons that where present on the Driving force pro work, none of the PS3 exclusive buttons do however, but thats only a small loss.

Since this is a short review I'm going to break it into two sections, Wheel, and peddals.

Wheel:

The wheel has all of the features of the DFP, plus added "paddle shifters". I say that in quotes because they arn't quite paddles, more like levered buttons, but they do the job well.

The stick shift is on its own two buttons, which can be looked at as either a pro or a con. In LFS this means you have to go into options and change it depending on the car if you want to use what the car uses.

The force feedback is smooth and fast, it's actualy faster than the G25's. This means that you can actualy let go of the steering wheel in a slide and it will caster steer almost like a real car. This is very dependent on the settings though, and finding the right settings seems to be very easy with this wheel.

Just like the G25 though, if you set the FFB too high it will actualy kill off all of the realistic effects and you end up with a wheel that just thrashes in your hands. It will also cause the wheel to heat up, and the number one killer of electronics is heat.

The pedals:

When I first saw the pedals I thaught they looked alot like the Microsoft sidewinder precision pedals, but they are infact almost identical to the DFP's pedals. Externaly they look the same, but I don't know about internaly.

The absence of a clutch isn't too bad for me because I have an auxilary pedal clutch. But for anyone who doesn't, you might want to build your own. Or buy a seperate pedal set.

The brake pedal has about three times the spring weight of the gas pedal, and is just slightly higher, I was actualy able to heel-toe quite well on this without modulating the brakes too much.

I was told these pedals where flimsy, but I find they are on par with the MS sidewinder's pedals. They should last a long time if you don't hammer on them alot.

In short I would recommend this wheel to anyone who doesn't want to pay the $300 for a G25. This wheel is made very well, and should last a long time if you don't abuse it.

As far as a score goes I'd give it the following:

-Wheel construction 9.0/10 (some metal would have been nice, and the pedals could be better)

-Force Feedback 10/10 (on par or better than G25)

-Features 7.0/10 (no clutch and no H-gate)

-Functionality 8.0/10 (because some of the buttons don't work on PC)

Over all I'd give this wheel an 8.0 out of 10.
A G25 gets 9.5 out of 10 for comparison.
How loud is it when you spin it quickly? Compared to the G25 and DFP.

I recently hooked up my DFP again after almost 2 years of using the G25, and the noise was unbearable - unusable for late night racing.
It's very quiet, I'd almost say it makes less noise than the G25, but it's been so long since I used a G25 I can't remember the noise level.

But as I said, its quiet, I hardly even notice the sound when the wheel turns fast. But thats in game, just the sound of the wheel itself in a quiet room is realy noticable. But not more so than other FFB wheels.

You have just made me regret getting the DFP. I should've waited and gotten a DFGT...

Have fun with your wheel though!
Guys, on the topic of loud wheels is the G25 a whole lot quieter than the black Momo? Quick corrections with the momo sound like you're stepping on a small dog. Not good for late nights...
The G25 is quieter than the black MOMO. I'm not sure by how much, but I know its atleast bareable.
Having owned a black Momo, a DFP and a G25, the G25 is A LOT quieter then the DFP... I can drive with the G25 at night if I'm using sequential shifter but in the DFP it's simply impossible and same with the Momo. If you countersteer fast it makes this horrible noise in Momo and DFP which is quieter by like 80% in the G25...
I know that the DFGT is quiet, but like I said, I don't know if it's quieter than the G25, it might be though. Logitech did say they used what they learned from the G25 when they made the DFGT.

Considering the age of the DFP, I consider it's noise level to be reasonable for a wheel of that time. but now they make them much quieter.
has anybody taken the pedals of the dfgt apart yet? What are they like? Are they on par with g25 in terms of quality?

I am leaning towards the dfgt because of the more buttons on the wheel (and I might eventually by the fanatec clubsport pedals), but the g25 seems to have better pedals, so I am a bit stuck.

Any tips? (not considering the price difference)
Whel im actaly planning to get this wheel after using my DFP for years
since 2006 the wheel has served me great.

I heard so much great things and im getting more tempted with every honest rewieuw
Hmm, nice review. Posisble to mount the G25 shifter/pedals onto this wheel? Or failing that use the Fanatec Porsche wheel and G25 pedals and shifter.
Quote from csurdongulos :has anybody taken the pedals of the dfgt apart yet? What are they like? Are they on par with g25 in terms of quality?

I am leaning towards the dfgt because of the more buttons on the wheel (and I might eventually by the fanatec clubsport pedals), but the g25 seems to have better pedals, so I am a bit stuck.

Any tips? (not considering the price difference)

The pedals for the DFGT are the same as the DFP. Identical. I have both side by side here in my office at home.

IMO. The DFGT as a wheel is excellent. It has fast movement and good feedback. The speed is fast enough that during oversteer you can feel the center of the cars movement. You can let go and catch oversteer like the G25 too, but I don't do this. The centering is good and you don't get that notchy feel at the center. It does only have one motor compared to the G25's 2 motors. It has a good price tag of 150 dollars MSRP USD. But most of the time you can get it for less online.

If you are planning on mixing a wheel with a set of custom pedals, this is a good wheel to start with. I wouldn't call it an upgrade from a G25 unless you are considering the buttons. But it is easier to replace because of it cost. It has way more buttons as I'm sure you know.
My idea is to pair my DFGT with a set of Clubsport Pedals as well. Right now I have a Act Labs RS2006 pedal set and a lightning SST shifter.

Overall: DFGT is good as a wheel and not so good for the pedals. It is a good starting base for a custom setup though.

Jay Odom

**edit: If you are wanting Clubsport pedals and already have a G25 I would get the Clubsports first. Then if you want a DFGT or your G25 breaks(i think you have a G25, right?), buy the DFGT as a replacement wheel to match to the Clubsport Pedals.
Quote from jbirdaspec :**edit: If you are wanting Clubsport pedals and already have a G25 I would get the Clubsports first. Then if you want a DFGT or your G25 breaks(i think you have a G25, right?), buy the DFGT as a replacement wheel to match to the Clubsport Pedals.

actually i have a black momo currently. So pedals might still be an improvement even with buying the df gt, but not by that much I guess. (my momo`s pedals are working properly, just some spiking effect, but not too bad)

My dilemma is to buy a dfgt, be stuck with shitty pedals for a while (a year or so), which are not much better than the momo`s or buy a g25 and be stuck with only 2 buttons on the damn wheel, but at least decent pedals.
Quote from csurdongulos :actually i have a black momo currently. So pedals might still be an improvement even with buying the df gt, but not by that much I guess. (my momo`s pedals are working properly, just some spiking effect, but not too bad)

My dilemma is to buy a dfgt, be stuck with shitty pedals for a while (a year or so), which are not much better than the momo`s or buy a g25 and be stuck with only 2 buttons on the damn wheel, but at least decent pedals.

If I had of known you were talking about a whole wheel and pedal upgrade I would have recommended waiting for a few months to see how this new Fanatec product does before buying anything: 911 GT3 RS Clubsport (includes new Clubsport Pedals). This is just a bit higher priced the G25 in USD, I'm not sure what the EUR prices are for G25 though for a good comparison. Then again the Momo is a pretty good wheel. The addition of just clubsport pedals might do the trick. I have a good feeling they are going to be pretty good pedals.

Release Date is March 15th.

Jay Odom
Quote from jbirdaspec :If I had of known you were talking about a whole wheel and pedal upgrade I would have recommended waiting for a few months to see how this new Fanatec product does before buying anything: 911 GT3 RS Clubsport (includes new Clubsport Pedals). This is just a bit higher priced the G25 in USD, I'm not sure what the EUR prices are for G25 though for a good comparison. Then again the Momo is a pretty good wheel. The addition of just clubsport pedals might do the trick. I have a good feeling they are going to be pretty good pedals.

Release Date is March 15th.

Jay Odom

That wheel is a bit over the amount I am ready to spend on these kind of things. The black momo (not considering the pedals) is alright, but it is now around 4-5 years old, so it`s getting a bit worn out. With the current weak local currency in hungary, 300 EUR would end up almost costing double than a g25 and over 3 times as much as a dfgt.

Upgrading is no rush for me (well, until my current wheel breaks ), so I think I am going to wait for a couple of months and see how things develop.
Thanks for your comments though!
I just bought a DFGT yesterday since the g25 is way out of my budget.

WHat kind of force feedback settingd so you guys reccomend??
Quote from Chrisuu01 :I just bought a DFGT yesterday since the g25 is way out of my budget.

same as G25

ingame 25-50

profiler around 100

and the rest of the settings on 0
Quote from G!NhO :same as G25

ingame 25-50

profiler around 100

and the rest of the settings on 0

Yeah treid that earlier today felt good but my force is at 102% becaus scawen recomends it
I use 105% in the profiler, 200% in game and all the centering spring stuff off. Basically it's setup as shown in the "How to set up your G25" thing apart from the increased force feedback.
Quote from Chrisuu01 :I just bought a DFGT yesterday since the g25 is way out of my budget.

First thing I do is turn off the profilerer by not allowing it to auto start. It's menu's are messy. It's bloated fancy soft that be quite jicky. And I can't be sure, but sometimes I think it even try's to dynamically mess with your configurations while you drive. Some people might like it. I choose to set my configurations up in windows using the Game Controller configuration menus in Control Panel. Controller company's are all to good and making awkward software...anyways:

A picture is worth a thousand words. Which by the way I could have written that much, but stopped myself.

Jay's DF GT Settings

I change the in-game % to accommodate the car I am in at that time. I know these aren't the Holy Settings of the LFS Manual. I did like the Holy LFS Manual settings when I had a DFP, but on this wheel it felt better this way. The motion with these settings are crisp and have a good feel to them.

But really. Play around with it. Find out what you like. Anybody can copy settings from a wiki and those are good settings. Don't get me wrong. But like with anything else thats a one size fits all solution. It isn't a solution for all.

Have fun.

Jay Odom
Quote from jbirdaspec :First thing I do is turn off the profilerer by not allowing it to auto start. It's menu's are messy. It's bloated fancy soft that be quite jicky. And I can't be sure, but sometimes I think it even try's to dynamically mess with your configurations while you drive. Some people might like it. I choose to set my configurations up in windows using the Game Controller configuration menus in Control Panel. Controller company's are all to good and making awkward software...anyways:

A picture is worth a thousand words. Which by the way I could have written that much, but stopped myself.

Jay's DF GT Settings

I change the in-game % to accommodate the car I am in at that time. I know these aren't the Holy Settings of the LFS Manual. I did like the Holy LFS Manual settings when I had a DFP, but on this wheel it felt better this way. The motion with these settings are crisp and have a good feel to them.

But really. Play around with it. Find out what you like. Anybody can copy settings from a wiki and those are good settings. Don't get me wrong. But like with anything else thats a one size fits all solution. It isn't a solution for all.

Have fun.

Jay Odom

Yeah I just use the profiler to get the latest drivers
furteher than that i sue the setting I suse now and the wheel feels Great!!
And I alsways have centering spring to 0 i feels weird with it on.

@ S14 WTF 200%!!! i have it at 60 max
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I use 105% in the profiler, 200% in game and all the centering spring stuff off. Basically it's setup as shown in the "How to set up your G25" thing apart from the increased force feedback.

Are you joking? 200% in LFS and 105% in the profiler gives you binary force feedback. Depending on caster and setup, 20% in game FF can already max out the FFB in some cars in LFS. At 200% your FF has more clipping than a modern pop tune. :S
Quote from jbirdaspec :The pedals for the DFGT are the same as the DFP. Identical. I have both side by side here in my office at home.

This is not true actually. The pedals have exactly the same casing, but internally they use totally different technology. I've used a DFP for well over a year before upgrading to the DFGT, and the difference in quite noticible. The DFGT's pedals are more accurate and less squishy, although still quite crappy.
Quote from Jertje :This is not true actually. The pedals have exactly the same casing, but internally they use totally different technology. I've used a DFP for well over a year before upgrading to the DFGT, and the difference in quite noticible. The DFGT's pedals are more accurate and less squishy, although still quite crappy.

Thanks for pointing that out. I just put them on the floor and pressed each one a few times to see how they felt. The DFGT pedals do feel a bit firmer. Not by much, be they do. Especially the brake. I guess I didn't take notice because I never actually used the DF GT pedals since I had my RS2006 already.

Sorry if I gave anybody a false inpression of these pedals.

Jay
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :Are you joking? 200% in LFS and 105% in the profiler gives you binary force feedback. Depending on caster and setup, 20% in game FF can already max out the FFB in some cars in LFS. At 200% your FF has more clipping than a modern pop tune. :S

It feels fine for me. It gives my upper arms a run for their money. It works for me, but as jrbirdspec says, it's more of a personal thing. :hide:

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG