The online racing simulator
X-Plane 9
(35 posts, started )
I bought mine for the iPhone, really fun
Quote from ColeusRattus :...compared to the "take a plane and an airport and head in a random direction" which wears off for me quite quickly.

That's where the online servers I run FS9 on, FSPassengers add-on, or FSEconomy comes into play. I don't have FSPassengers, but I've had a go with the demo. It's really cool. I fly at WSPilots flying a world tour or an area tour on their other server and I'm also registered with FSEconomy and fly routes ferrying passengers during my WSP tours.

I've never tried x-plane. I found WSPilots and have been flying there ever since trying out flight simming with FS9.
And don´t forget: If you want ultimate Realism in Multiplayer, watch out for Vatsim. Just look at the "Visual Display" in the Menu on the left or on Vataware. There you can see what´s going on in the virtual Sky. It´s really impressive what you can do there.

Oh and it doesn´t matter if you have MS FS or X-Plane... they all are flying together and love each other :->
Nice landing.

Although X-Plane does have a few drawbacks, I'm loving it too.

Been playing around with the freeware G2XPL addon recently, and it's fantastic. If you don't know, it's a tileproxy type app, but because the land mapping is so much better in X-Plane than FSX it's just about as real as it gets., and i'm yet to find a runway that's misaligned with the google earth tiles.

I've also been playing around with a little program called TouchBuddy...yeah, i know . But it's an absolute treat, i can even get it to work on an old Ipaq i had lying around. I've not yet finished my profile (kinda getting bogged down by VB6 programming issues) but i should reach a point where i won't need to use the keyboard at all.

I have to say i'm not overly impressed with the quality of the freeware aircraft, and i havn't really looked at the freeware scenery. But i did buy a little Piper Commanche from Heinz Dzuirowitz, and it's a beaut. One of the best planes i've ever flown in any sim, ever, and it's only a tenner.

All in all, i have to say there are some things FSX does so much better than X-Plane, but, the overall flying experience is light years behind that of X-Plane. It's just a real shame non of the airports have any buildings. It always seems a bit of an anti-climax when you land and there's not even so much as a hanger at some of the biggest airports in the world. Although the runway lighting is something else, utterly fantastic.

It gets a definate Tommy Two Thumbs from me
do they simulate wake turbulence?
Yes, yes it does, although i'm yet to see another traffic in the same bit of sky as me so i can't really voucher for it's realism. Although the talk in the forums suggest it's pretty much spot on. Not sure if it's coded into online play though ?
awesome! i want that for fsx
Quote from Mazz4200 :Although X-Plane does have a few drawbacks, I'm loving it too.

Agree with your post. X-Plane' major lackings are:
1/Air traffic - It is featured, but it's clunky as hell and a framerate killer due to the way it's been implemented. Online is the way to go, but I don't know enough about procedures et al to do that yet.
2/ Lack of airport buildings - Most airports have runways and taxiways, but nothing else. Watch this space though because there is a very strong community of scenery developers working away at things, and apparently an update to the scenery builder is imminent.

Anyway, I generally just play around with light aircraft, so the flight model's where it's at for me and it's the beez neez.

btw - got a link to that Piper? I might get myself an early Xmas present.
Here's the link for that plane http://store01.prostores.com/s ... x-planestore/Detail?no=61 $15 USD. But, it seems as though he's got a special offer on at the moment http://store01.prostores.com/s ... -planestore/Detail?no=114 all 5 GA planes for $25 USD, (wish i'd waited)

As for the traffic, i didn't realise there was an option for it. Although there are a few freeware apps that put traffic into the game they seem a bit of a pain in the arse to set up, so i havn't really bothered.

If you're have FPS issues try G2XPL. It's best if you turn off all the scenery (i.e forests and buildings and stuff) and whack up the airport objects and overall graphics settings to max. I've gone from low 20's with the stock X-Plane settings to mid 60's with the G2XPL google app settings

The thing that's really surprised me most with X-Plane is, it's actually not quite as configurable as FSX. Multi-monitor support is a real pain to sort out and it could really do with an FSUIPC app to help with setting up and changing all the key macro's. It's good if you want to configure lots of hardware with real buttons and dials and things, but this TouchBuddy thing is all virtual hardware, and you have to really dig around the guts of X-Plane and play around with loads of config files and soforth to get it to do what you want (and i havn't even started trying to get any data from the game itself yet) confusing.

Also the way X-Plane graphically simulates rain and snow could be better, although the real world weather function is spot on, and how it reacts with the planes flight dynamics is fantastic. But, I was out flying over the Lake District in the UK the other day and noticed that the screen suddenly got dark and really grainy. My first thought was, oh bollocks, me graphics cards on the the way out. It wasn't until i looked out the side window i realised it was actually raining The planes could do with a windscreen me thinks.

The interaction with ATC is pretty nasty too.

But having said all that, i still love it.

X-Plane 9
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG