The online racing simulator
H-Pattern vs Seq
(22 posts, started )
H-Pattern vs Seq
Hey guys, just new to this game myself, been playing for a day or 2. I have a G25 and i've been experimenting with both H-Pattern and Sequential mode.

My question is this: Is it slower to use H-Pattern as you have to go through Neutral to get to a gear? I.e. 3-N-4-N-5, rather than 3-4-5 like the sequential mode.

Also, does the clutch make a diff? I.e. if i turn clutch to auto am I missing out on a few mph at all?

Cheers

Jonny
H-pattern shifting isn't necessarily slower, but it means you're more likely to make mistakes which will of course make you slower.

Using a clutch pedal is a similar story. In some cars (the non-race-spec cars) upshifts are quicker when using a clutch pedal because those cars have quite a slow auto-clutch shift time, so you gain a little time on the straights, but you're more likely to make a mess of downshifting and lose time under braking.

There are other benefits to using a manual clutch though - it does give you a bit more control, the opportunity to disengage drive when the car's a bit too sideways can be a big plus, and of course the opposite - being able to let the revs drop and then dump the clutch to initiate oversteer if your car doesn't want to corner.

Just use whatever you feel comfortable using in the "road"-type cars, but consider using auto-clutch and sequential shifting in the race cars if you think it's giving everybody else an advantage.

Personally I used a clutch pedal in everything but the single-seaters (including the MRT) simply because they brake so quickly it made it impractical.
Quote from thisnameistaken :H-pattern shifting isn't necessarily slower, but it means you're more likely to make mistakes which will of course make you slower.

Using a clutch pedal is a similar story. In some cars (the non-race-spec cars) upshifts are quicker when using a clutch pedal because those cars have quite a slow auto-clutch shift time, so you gain a little time on the straights, but you're more likely to make a mess of downshifting and lose time under braking.

There are other benefits to using a manual clutch though - it does give you a bit more control, the opportunity to disengage drive when the car's a bit too sideways can be a big plus, and of course the opposite - being able to let the revs drop and then dump the clutch to initiate oversteer if your car doesn't want to corner.

Just use whatever you feel comfortable using in the "road"-type cars, but consider using auto-clutch and sequential shifting in the race cars if you think it's giving everybody else an advantage.

Personally I used a clutch pedal in everything but the single-seaters (including the MRT) simply because they brake so quickly it made it impractical.

Couldn't agree more.

Besides, every one who buys the G25 (including me) buys it "partially" because of the H-shifter, so it would be a great loss not to use it
Regarding autoclutch in strong brakes cars: you can skip gears, ie 6-4-2, or 6-3. It takes practice and have some risk of over-rev (throtle blip is needed), but it is possible and i have read it is common in real racing.

I use manual clutch in all cars except BF1
#5 - Profi
Quote from Zen321 :Couldn't agree more.

Besides, every one who buys the G25 (including me) buys it "partially" because of the H-shifter, so it would be a great loss not to use it

Not necessarily. At least I would rather have bought a G25 without a shifter if there just was one on the market. The buttons in it are useful, but the stick itself just bothers... G25 still is a good purchase for other reasons, the gearing, the double FFB motors and strong structure.
Its also nice to be able to flat shift when using the clutch to gain a slight advantage if you need it down a straight.
I prefer H-shifter and manual clutch. I have much more control over the car and I'm much faster with them than I am without.
Using H-shifter is waaaaay more fun in multiplayer racing

More mistakes means overtaking and closer racing. I play for fun, but playing with paddles or sequential takes the fun out of racing.
#9 - ekze
Totally true.
But some guys could drive faster even with mouse or keyboard.
So it's up to you.

For me it's a lot more fun to drive as much realistic as possible, i.e. use axis clutch and H-shifter.
When i bought g25 myself,
i was meaning to use H-shifter,
but then some strange things happen
I started to play with FBM (if i remember right),
and thats why the H-shifter stayed behind..
and now im so used to those shifters and auto clutch,
that its hard to change back to H-shifter..

Even if you got auto clutch on, you still can use the pedal clutch
like i do specially with RWD cars.
Its easy to straight your car back to racing lines, (just left foot to clutch, let the revs get high and foot out of the clutch)
if the turns go too wide or just wanna go with sideways to turns.
So i pretty much use 50-75% of that fun, what i would really have with g25

So i would recomment that you get used to playing with H-shifter right away. And of course manual clutch with it.
I started to training with those couple of weeks ago, and i have to say,
that its not slower at all like i wouldnt expect. Sotimes its even faster.
And much much more exciting and funnier of course
But sometimes its just better to use shifters, like in "Formulas" and
some GTR cars.

Hopefully you understand what im trying to say right now
I have a question.

Why would anyone use auto-clutch in the FBM?
So you can flatshift?
Quote from legoflamb :I have a question.

So you don't stall in the pits?
Quote from Vinnylegends :So you can flatshift?

You can't flatshift in the FBM unless the engine bumps back on the limiter, and that works regardless of AutoClutch.
Hey guys, thanx for all the replies. I think I will get used to the H-Pattern and clutch then

Thing is on Blackwood with the XFG my best is 1:35.670 with seq and auto clutch, but with H-pattern and clutch i can only get 1:37 odds.

I guess its only a matter of practicing with the h-pattern .
Quote from NightShift :You can't flatshift in the FBM unless the engine bumps back on the limiter, and that works regardless of AutoClutch.

Only found that works up to like 4th gear from experience. 1st you can flatshift easy, 2nd takes a couple of paddle-slaps, 3rd is like nearly impossible.
Quote from Mille Sabords :So you don't stall in the pits?

Stalling in the pits is part of the learning process.

to OP, Practice practice practice, and when your done practice some more.
Quote from legoflamb :Stalling in the pits is part of the learning process.

to OP, Practice practice practice, and when your done practice some more.

Ive been practicing like mad so much that my left foot is a bit sore after all those hours of hovering it over the clutch!
Quote from legoflamb :I have a question.

If i understand this right, your saying that becouse of my comment?
here is why i use myself that auto-clutch.
Just so simble and easy to change gears.
Just lose/off the throttle, change the gear, and start throttle again. so simble and fast, isnt it?
Quote from Tomson(FIN) :If i understand this right, your saying that becouse of my comment?
here is why i use myself that auto-clutch.
Just so simble and easy to change gears.
Just lose/off the throttle, change the gear, and start throttle again. so simble and fast, isnt it?

Huh? But in the FBM you can do that even without autoclutch. You're not supposed to use the clutch in the FBM at any time other than taking off from a standstill.
yeah what android said.
Quote from AndroidXP :Huh? But in the FBM you can do that even without autoclutch. You're not supposed to use the clutch in the FBM at any time other than taking off from a standstill.

Havnt notice that My mistake.. i was remembering totally something else.
Auto-clutch is just ON for me and thats it.
Its for others cars too, you know

H-Pattern vs Seq
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG