The online racing simulator
Drift tyres any1?
(90 posts, started )
Drift tyres any1?
Hi! I wanted to ask the devs if they could provide drift tyres for LFS. Now, I'm not a serious drifter but I do like to drift from time to time. Now, as far as I know, in RL, they make these special tyres designed for drifting, SO, I thought since there is a big drifter community, it would be a nice treat to have drift tyres.
#2 - Ndrew
It was suggested before, and it were in the i. s. log as well. It got a big NO-NO. I think the normal tires are just fine for it.
Sorry, didn't check the log, I'm too lazy to read ALL those posts .
Quote from Leprekaun :Hi! I wanted to ask the devs if they could provide drift tyres for LFS. Now, I'm not a serious drifter but I do like to drift from time to time. Now, as far as I know, in RL, they make these special tyres designed for drifting, SO, I thought since there is a big drifter community, it would be a nice treat to have drift tyres.

At the risk of being flamed, +1

I'm not a drifter, but it is a form of motorsport that needs almost no physics alteration to implement. All we need is drift tyres.
+1
I'm not a drifter, but it doesn't replace anything, will be just an addition, and any addition here is good. It's a simulator, more things will be added, more things will be simulated.
#6 - Renku
A big NO NO!
Quote from Renku :-1
A big NO NO!

Why?
It will cause u any problem?
Will block u from racing?

NO

then Yes!
LOL!!

You're a serious drifter?

You don't need no 'drift tyres' to drift in LFS.

Supers/Normals will do JUST FINE. Have fun drifting.
Quote from StanleyCarter :LOL!!

You're a serious drifter?

You don't need no 'drift tyres' to drift in LFS.

Supers/Normals will do JUST FINE. Have fun drifting.

They may work but has anyone talked to a drift team to see what they run for tires? Maybe there is special tires they use for drifting. If there is then maybe I could see having them in LFS
+1 it's just an add-on
no replacement
+1

maybe tyres with red smoke as u drift.
it would open LFS up to a wider market.
Reading a little online, I cannot find any information on tires specific to drifting but it seems that Khumo is making a set that will allow different color smokes for when your drifting, it doesn't say anything about changes in the tires to provide a the tire with different slip angle characteristics than a regular tire though.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
+1 as an addon you have to pay for.

HA!
In real life, drifters don't use any special tires really. Well some do use those that create red smoke.

But in D1 for example, they are using Bridgestone Potenzas (not sure if Neovas are used), which are just normal high-class sports tires. Not designed for drifting, but for sporty grip driving.

So that's a -1 from me, we don't need them.
This is funny, lol.

The people, that normally dont drift, say "+1", but the people who drift mainly/casually, say "-1".

I say 0, because I dont care and drift.
i drift... and i say it's a stupid idea.

there are no 'drift-specific' tires in real life, the tires drifters use are actually very very fast around a race track... the tires they use to drift one day are the same they use to time attack the next. IRL vs. LFS it's like drifting supers and racing supers... same tire, just using it differently.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Live and let live. If the kiddies want super-hard tyres that they can't cook, then +1. But only if they give really crappy grip so the racers won't start coming up with weird exploits involving them.

OR have a server setting such as /drift = x where x is 0 or 1 saying if you can use the drift tires, and make HLVC laps invalid with the drift tires?

+1 for the idea if my concept was implemented somehow.
I don't see the point in debating whether something that doesn't exsist IRL can be added to LFS.
#19 - Jakg
Quote from BlakjeKaas :+1 it's just an add-on
no replacement

so is TEH NOZ!!!!!

ok, extreme example, but i want a god mode.
#20 - Woz
As long as the hard tires are REALY REALY crap for grip racing then let the drifters have them.

Thing is, as soon as they realise that hard tires are crap they will revert to road normals or supers lol
+1
Would be a good add on, maybe just make them the some as normals just last a bit longer
Quote from Woz :As long as the hard tires are REALY REALY crap for grip racing then let the drifters have them.

Thing is, as soon as they realise that hard tires are crap they will revert to road normals or supers lol

if a tyre has really really crap grip for grip racing, there is no way in hell it will suddenly grip better when drifting.

if they provided a super hard rubber which wore slowly but felt like drifting on ice no one would use it.

so essentially what they're asking for is a road normal tyre which wears alot slower, which is crap

real life drifters go through heaps of tyres at every meet, deal with it
Quote from ayrton senna 87 :+1

maybe tyres with red smoke as u drift.
it would open LFS up to a wider market.

Sort of along the lines of where you're going with this:

I brought up the idea of faster smoking tyres here: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=9842

I don't know if it's possible, but perhaps it might kill 2 birds with 1 stone by incorporating these "drift tyres" to produce faster/more smoke AND perhaps coloured smoke for that added spectacle. With the option of "drift tyres", the racers can still have their normal tyres, but the drifters can have better smoke simulation and perhaps the tyres could last longer? Perhaps that detracts from realism, but is it a negative on the whole? or is it a positive?

By the way, i'd just like to add;

It's quite prevalent around here that some "Racers" hate "Drifters". Can you get over it? This suggested improvement imposes NOTHING on the racers so long as they chose not to involve themselves in it. If you don't want "drift tyres" then don't select them in the garage. Yes, there are 1000 other important things that should be done first, but this is an Improvement Suggestion forum for those who want something to voice their suggestions... not a place of opportunity for you to cry about something you don't like, which is not constructive in any way, shape or form.

Cheers.
The thing is, most people wouldn't see "drift tyres" as an improvement - especially since they don't exist IRL. Takumi said it best - tyres wear, so deal with it. A "normal" tyre that lasts longer than a normal tyre wouldn't be a normal tyre, it would be something else.

Also, I wouldn't say people around here actually hate drifters. Hate's too strong a word for it. The vibe I get is that many people here don't see why the devs should go to the trouble of adding anything drift-specific (e.g. touge tracks and coloured tyre smoke) to what is a racing simulator. There have been loads and loads of threads about adding drifty stuff and those threads usually disappear relatively quickly, which seems to indicate that most people here don't care that much about it. I think it can also get on people's nerves if they see something that's already been discussed more than once (which is true of everything, not just drifting).

I think drifting's great to watch when it's done well but it doesn't hold my attention longer than 5 minutes tbh. However, watching good close racing can (and does) keep me transfixed for hours. Just my personal preference I guess, but I think it puts me among the majority of LFS drivers.

In LFS the cars behave like real cars - which means that they can drift like real cars, and drift quite well if you have a good driver with a good setup. That's a great advertisment for LFS's physics but no reason to turn it into F&F or NFSU. I think the "late 80s Japanese coupe" shape of the XRT has a lot to answer for

I guess the point is this: LFS drifters should do what RL drifters do and make the best of what's available. I actually think most serious LFS drifters do, but some should catch up with them a bit
Great post. Sheds a bit of true light on the situation.

I just generally see a lot of racers coming in and shooting their mouths off just because they prefer racing to drifting. Fair enough if the devs started making stuff for drifting and neglecting the racing improvements, but i really can't see that happening. The devs know the score, they know what's going on and this whole section is just for them to see what the people want. If they only see 5 people posting requests for something drift related, and they see 35 people posting requests for something race related, then sure, they're gunna pay more attention to the race thread. Just more reason for the racers to not go postal whenever someone requests something drift related. It's ok, we drifters know we come second, i'm ok with that. Hopefully eventually we'll get some added features for our style of racing too, after the racers have got everything they want/need.

What i'm ultimately getting down to is; there is a minority group of LFS players who enjoy drifting. I'd like to see this community grow so we have more people to drift with. Finally, a racing simulator that is accurate enough to properly drift on! This is great! It would be nice if people stopping playing black man/white man and have fun with what they like doing and leave whatever they don't like doing to everyone else. Just because it's a "racing" simulator, doesn't mean you can't take full benefit of the fantastic physics and do other things with the game also.

Drift tyres any1?
(90 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG