The online racing simulator
one that's actually constructive to the business model.
now i've been telling friends to grabs s2, but they don't want to, even after trying the demo. why is this? because they don't know if the other cars and tracks are worth it. to be honest, even the XRT isn't up to standards to attract people to the game, and they also don't want to deal with the hassle of wreckers which they believe are rampant in s2 as they are in demo.

i have a solution.

every month, you could offer each s2 account 2 day passes for other computers. for example, if i had a friend that wanted to try the game, i could give him a day pass where he could have full s2 content for the day. each pass would be held accountable to the host account, so that would prevent wrecking from said parties. if i lend out a day pass to my friend, and he wrecks and gets banned, then i would be held accountable. this would help improve exposure of s2, and i believe would do wonders to getting those licenses 'off the shelves.' we would both be able to play online for the day without hacks, violating the EULA, all while buildling up a base for new customers.
#2 - ajp71
I think letting demo users view S2 replays would be a better (and easier) move.
yes but they won't have the ability to PLAY the game, which is what would sell it. watching movies isn't nearly as fun as being able to feel the BF1 bite you in the ass
#4 - Jakg
Quote from RevMonkey :now i've been telling friends to grabs s2, but they don't want to, even after trying the demo. why is this? because they don't know if the other cars and tracks are worth it. to be honest, even the XRT isn't up to standards to attract people to the game, and they also don't want to deal with the hassle of wreckers which they believe are rampant in s2 as they are in demo.

i have a solution.

every month, you could offer each s2 account 2 day passes for other computers. for example, if i had a friend that wanted to try the game, i could give him a day pass where he could have full s2 content for the day. each pass would be held accountable to the host account, so that would prevent wrecking from said parties. if i lend out a day pass to my friend, and he wrecks and gets banned, then i would be held accountable. this would help improve exposure of s2, and i believe would do wonders to getting those licenses 'off the shelves.' we would both be able to play online for the day without hacks, violating the EULA, all while buildling up a base for new customers.

i would say turn off multi-player as well, seems open to abuse!
i was thinking keeping multiplayer open... having a FULL day-pass. why?

it's very simple. the reason why most of us play lfs is because of the community. blackhole motorsports awarded LFS the best multiplayer award. LFS multiplayer is more than just physics... to be honest, if a game had great physics, wouldn't give a doggy shitpile about it if it had a crappy community. same reason why i've never liked gran turismo. it used to have the best physics, but (obviously) doesn't have a community. and nothing sells a game better than playing with other real, living people.

with regards to abuse, as previously noted, each day pass would be directly linked to the host account. if the day pass-ee acts up, the host account will be directly affected. this will ensure discipline within the system.

this daypass system would be exclusive, with only 2 (or 1, however many) per month per account, ensuring that s2 will remain for s2 license holders, this is just a way for more exposure.
As a demo racer
I actually think that's a bad idea...

Then S2 isn't exlcusive, and I think that if I had S2 and you see a demo guy, you think like: I **** paid for this game and then a
¡!demo!¡ guy shows up...

AND, then EVERY day you see a demoracer drop by... (maybe even iDi's...)

I wouldn't like it if I was S2
and as a Demo racer I wouldn't care if I could play it...

for the non-multiplayer: +1, but HOW would you ever unlock somebody's S2 for 1 day OFF-LINE!?

(I might get a S2 license in 3 months )
Quote from ajp71 :I think letting demo users view S2 replays would be a better (and easier) move.

what about S2 .spr open to have test drive? no chance of getting impression of online races, but you can check the content.

:duck: not being party involved - just waiting to solve card payment problems (:duck: not on LFS side ), hopefully soon :woohoo:
nah i'm seriously thinking that s2 online would be good

there'd be a measure of discipline because the host accoutn would be held accountable for everything.
Yep i think its not very practical. If people like the demo enough they will buy S2, if they think the demo gives them enough entertainment for free for a few months then they won't buy it. Some will, some won't.
Putting in more demo content will tempt some more into buying it and some more into just playing it for free, then the S2 licenced users will sy "Oh there's too much in the free demo, make them pay".
End of story. It's always a balance with some at each end of the sliding scale left dissatisfied. C'est la vie.
I think that demo racers should be able to buy a (say) £1 S2 day pass. I.E. The licence name reserved for a month, and S2 content for 24 hours.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Just do it like it's now...

It's not complicated now...

So no confusements...
Quote from BlakjeKaas :As a demo racer
I actually think that's a bad idea...

Then S2 isn't exlcusive, and I think that if I had S2 and you see a demo guy, you think like: I **** paid for this game and then a
¡!demo!¡ guy shows up...

AND, then EVERY day you see a demoracer drop by... (maybe even iDi's...)

I wouldn't like it if I was S2
and as a Demo racer I wouldn't care if I could play it...

for the non-multiplayer: +1, but HOW would you ever unlock somebody's S2 for 1 day OFF-LINE!?

(I might get a S2 license in 3 months )

That's an easy one to solve. Just have a server setting that either admits day pass drivers or rejects day pass drivers. Then, if you don't want to be on an "open" server, you have that option.
Maybe have what VALVe does with DOD:S and other Source games with steam, have "Free" weekends where you sign up for a free account and you can play for the weekend in hopes of getting people hooked and purchasing it? Maybe even just a free day might attract some more people into LFS from demo?
Quote from Spinjack :That's an easy one to solve. Just have a server setting that either admits day pass drivers or rejects day pass drivers. Then, if you don't want to be on an "open" server, you have that option.

that's a great idea.

dawes, that's not bad either... demo isn't a special file now anyways, everyone has the full program... you just need the unlock.
I can't help thinking; "All these complicated solutions for something which is not a problem..."what really is the point?
to get people off their asses and buy the damn s2 license. demo drivers aren't treating it as a demo, they're treating it as a free game.

edit: hi mr. heeley, haven't talked to you in a while
well for them, happy with the demo content, it IS a free game!
Hows the mountain biking in the Canadian wilds, revmonkey?
I will come and claim my free beer soon.....
#18 - SamH
Yep, it ain't broke so don't fix it.

Quite honestly, if the demo content isn't enough to convince someone that LFS is an investment worth making, I don't think they have the right mind-set to fit in with the LFS S2 ethos. That's really how it seems to me, anyway.

I've been through the same process of trying to convince friends to get an S2 licence. With some I've succeeded and with some I haven't.

The problem is that, 6 months down the road I've been forced to concede that they were right, I was wrong, they don't play LFS and I wrongfully broke their arms to spend £24.
Quote from al heeley :well for them, happy with the demo content, it IS a free game!
Hows the mountain biking in the Canadian wilds, revmonkey?
I will come and claim my free beer soon.....

not this summer, i'm gone for my yearly summer ritual of 6 weeks of training... i leave tommorow morning 5:15am...

the biking's good, the biking's good
Time limit the demo to one week, then it locks for two weeks befor you can play for a week again.:spvader:
Quote from al heeley :I can't help thinking; "All these complicated solutions for something which is not a problem..."what really is the point?

Is LFS making the sales they need/want to grow the company they way they need/want? If yes, then you are right. If no, then there is additional work to be done. If the company principals are trying to run a lifestyle business, they what they are doing may be fine. But if they are wanting to grow into a major player...? Is anyone asking them if they will license out their physics engine?
#22 - SamH
Quote from Spinjack :Is LFS making the sales they need/want to grow the company they way they need/want? If yes, then you are right. If no, then there is additional work to be done. If the company principals are trying to run a lifestyle business, they what they are doing may be fine. But if they are wanting to grow into a major player...? Is anyone asking them if they will license out their physics engine?

As far as any of us can tell, yes it's going exactly the way that the developers set out for it to go. From the subtext of what's been hinted/said in the past by Scawen et al, we've thoroughly been left with that impression, anyway.

On the physics engine front, we've never heard it from the devs, but we did hear from the head of one of the other major players in the sim market, essentially that despite offers that were as sweet as they could make them, the LFS devs were not remotely interested in joining another company.. that they were making plenty of money from LFS. All paraphrased, but that was the meat of it.
i think we should all just take a lesson from cows and moo at the subject and then they will see we are all cool like cows and they will buy the game to be like us cause we are cool cows and u all want to give me moneys illepall
Quote from Spinjack :Is LFS making the sales they need/want to grow the company they way they need/want? If yes, then you are right. If no, then there is additional work to be done. If the company principals are trying to run a lifestyle business, they what they are doing may be fine. But if they are wanting to grow into a major player...? Is anyone asking them if they will license out their physics engine?

Well that's really up to them isn't it, not us. We all have lots of aspirations for them but we're not really at the sharp end, so I'm confident they can make their own decisions on this.
#25 - SamH
Quote from al heeley :Well that's really up to them isn't it, not us. We all have lots of aspirations for them but we're not really at the sharp end, so I'm confident they can make their own decisions on this.

I absolutely agree with you there. We DO care about LFS, which is how these threads get born I'm sure. But as you rightly point out, we're not the ones holding the mortgage statements or the LFS balance sheets, and it's not our business to know.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG