The online racing simulator
Realistic drifting tyre wear
(6 posts, started )
Hello LFS community,

Have a question about tyre wear in LFS. Maybe in the drifting servers it can be more realistic?

Here is why:

In real life i have BMW e30 M50B25 turbo / 500HP / E39TDS ZF transmision / Diff ratio 2.65
In the local track i tested two different tyres (new pairs):
1. Westlake RS semislick 225/45 r17 and made 5 laps with full throttle
2. Triangle Sportex summer tyres 225/45 r17 and made 4 laps full throttle

Video of the action: https://youtu.be/MoDVu86Sn2A

Now, i made the same track (as realistic as i can using googlemaps), also made almost same e30 in LFS (same gearbox ratios, same diff ratio ant etc.). In LFS i can only do half a lap with normal grip. Tyres instantly overheats and the second part of the track grip is garbage.

Video of the LFS run: https://youtu.be/Muc8OLdTUdE

Here is why everybody trying to use tyrehacks.

I`m driftig in real life 7 years and playing LFS almost 10 years and i and my team mate found it more suitable for drift training than Asseto Corsa, becouse:
- It has track layout configurator
- It has more realistic driving with cheaper racing wheels
- It dont need expencive PC
- Now, it has cars editor.

One thing for the perfection is realistic drifting tyrewear. LFS has amaizing tracks, fast tracks and it is sad that you only can run lowpowered cars in small slow tracks becouse of tyres. I think after this it would be increase of drift servers and players.
I agree with this idea and you could do a study work with this. Compare real parameters and LFS, for example, an angle, but there are too many parameters to analyze them (because tire wear depends not only on the percentage of pressing the gas pedal, but also on the total time the acceliration pedal is pressed, the angle in the drift, camber, tire pressure , asphalt roughness, asphalt temperature and so on) technically, you can try to take all this into account, but instead you wrote something vague..There is not enough information.

Quote from Mariusvasiliauskas :Hello LFS community,

Have a question about tyre wear in LFS. Maybe in the drifting servers it can be more realistic?

Here is why:

In real life i have BMW e30 M50B25 turbo / 500HP / E39TDS ZF transmision / Diff ratio 2.65
In the local track i tested two different tyres (new pairs):
1. Westlake RS semislick 225/45 r17 and made 5 laps with full throttle
2. Triangle Sportex summer tyres 225/45 r17 and made 4 laps full throttle

- 4, and 5 laps until what? Lost protector? how much? To flat Tires? To the cord? Tires burst? But even if we knew exactly how much the tire was worn out for a certain total acceliration time in the drift. Then we still do not know those parameters that I wrote about above

Quote from Mariusvasiliauskas :
Video of the LFS run: https://youtu.be/Muc8OLdTUdE

- I didn't understand what you wanted to show here. I don't see how much the tire has worn out there during this time, and unfortunately there is no digital tire wear in the LFS, we can only roughly estimate this from the picture of the thickness of the rubber layer.
In real tires, when the tire tread is completely lost, after alittle rubber layer the cord starts to come out almost immediately, and then the tire loses all the grip. Since it slides on metal, but this is not the case in LFS, the tire immediately bursts. For some reason, the cord stage does not occur in tires in the LFS.
So in addition to all this, it would be nice to add a simulation of the behavior on the cord to the tire after heavy wear.
Also, in addition to rubber wear, many drifters are unhappy with how the tire holds after it heats up, many say that the tire in reality does not lose grip so much after heating, what do you think about this?
Aleksandr, i see you try to push this to the limit (make a perfection drifting tyre simulation) but my point is to make something like legal "TempLock" in drift type servers, so drifters can use more powerful cars and go from car lots in to the fast tracks. I agree, that there are so much factors to study and make real drift tyre simulation, but also i think this is time consuming and loooong process of development.

4, 5 laps until tyre lost grip (1mm or less, also overheat).

In the real life competition runs we heat tyres before start (3-4 donunts second gear full throttle at the redline). If you heat the tyre right you feel how good car accelerates after initiation at full lock all the way to the finish.

Mean time in LFS (you can see in my video) - started with cold tyres and the grip is medium. First and second corner tyres heats up and grip is good, car pulls away from corner and gathering speed. Entering the last corner tyres are overheated, no grip, lost speed, rear end of the car is very slippy (in real life i can run in the same track 4 runs with same tyres, while in LFS 0.5 run). Me and my team mate (real life drifter) tryed lots of things to make our LFS as realistic as possible to our cars and find that 63 degrees in rear tyres with TempLock is a perfect thing. You can accelerate fast, make an agressive full lock entry and feel how tyres grip and car pulls away from the wall and speeds up. We use real life parameters in LFS cars (possitive rear camber, low rear tyre pressure and etc). Also in LFS we use SUPER tyres. NORMAL tyres is better to hold up temperature longer (so only these tyres are using in online servers) but they dont have that real life semi slick tyre feeling.

Overall i think tyre temperature locking / expanding in this case will fix a lot. You can try to set up TempLock at 63 degrees, 225/R17 SUPER tyres, 1bar, 500HP and you can feel how good it is.

Also, i think that i answered your last question already Smile

Sorry for bad English but i hope that this discusion will lead somwhere Smile)
#4 - Gunn
The suggestion that I have made several times over the last decade to address this problem is to have a special tyre for drifting. Regardless of how realistically accurate the upcoming tyre physics improvements may turn out to be, I think this is still a good way forward.
Quote from Gunn :The suggestion that I have made several times over the last decade to address this problem is to have a special tyre for drifting. Regardless of how realistically accurate the upcoming tyre physics improvements may turn out to be, I think this is still a good way forward.

+1 to this honestly
#6 - Q-889
Quote from Gunn :The suggestion that I have made several times over the last decade to address this problem is to have a special tyre for drifting. Regardless of how realistically accurate the upcoming tyre physics improvements may turn out to be, I think this is still a good way forward.

+1 Great idea.

(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG