The online racing simulator

Poll : What feature are you most looking forward in to LFS?

Track editor
Dynamic weather and working wipers
Better graphics features
Sound improvements
Dynamic temperature of asphalt
Better car damage
Smart AI
Revlimmiter and anti-lag
Car flickering by ping fix
Server-side tire heat value
Better force feedback
In-race Safety car bot
More bumps on tracks in general
Car animation
Changing size of wheels and treadwear of tires in the garage
Favorite feature request by most of players.
There will be an explanation above each option. Read before making a choice.
But first, I want to say that these are not only my preferences, I studied the Improvement Suggestions forum and chose the most frequently encountered feature requests and wrote them down in a poll. I did not add the options that will be added in the next update with graphics, night and physics. Also all car requests as they can be covered by the new mod system. Track requests are also covered by the trackeditor option. Initially, I maked about 30 options, but then I realized that in the poll there was a limit of 15, so I had to delete and combine something.
Maybe somewhere in forum already had a similar thread. But I think that now it will be more relevant. already a lot of what the players asked for has been added. And this post can give developers an understanding of what players want the most.

Features:

Track editor - same as mod system. New software to be able to create tracks for LFS. LFS with ingame browser of tracks created by players with filters, rating etc. (that would be clear that high-quality tracks needed)

Sound improvements - Improved engine sounds so it sounds more realistic and better surround-sound. Improved wind sound, it is especially clear that it is not enough in electric cars, although on straight lines it is basically the only thing that is heard there is the wind in real life. Аlso can be improved the tire sounds (and not only a creak, but from hard tires there is also a sound when driving slowly on asphalt, and especially gravel.) and add more environmental sounds (leaves, weather, crowds, etc.).

Dynamic temperature of asphalt - the temperature of the asphalt, which will change under the influence of the direction of the sun on the asphalt, the temperature outside, and the path of the tires most often driven by players.

Dynamic weather and working wipers - Prerace customized or random rain (and a track that gets wet and slippery), downpour, fog, Snow and ice surface ability to choose the season or the surface of the asphalt on standard tracks.

Better car damage - better carbody damage (Strange things happen in mods when high poly mesh get damaged), tearing off body parts, shattering glass, brake overheat, engine overheat, gearbox breaking, etc.

Car animation - various animations that mod makers can add with collisions. i.e. adding animated collision objects. it will be possible to add opening of the door, trunk, hood, truck bodies. For example, can be create a tow truck that can lift and carry a car on itself.

Smart AI - Defending position abilities, aggressive overtakes, some unpredictability and overall realism i.e. mistakes under pressure. Standard bots become very predictable and boring after a few races.

Better graphics features - Highpoly driver mesh, visual dirt on cars (windows and body etc.), more realistic smoke, sparks, glowing brake disks, motion blur on rims, high beams & low beams headlights, more driver animations To make the driver look more alive he need to gear change, controll the levers and buttons. etc.

Better force feedback - Many players say that other simrace games are better at force feedback. That it gives more information when driving also here Real time FFB monitor and min force FFB slider - Some people want this https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1967106#post1967106.

In-race Safety car bot - Also quite obvious and highly anticipated feature.

Server-side tire heat value - For nonrace mod only in cruise mode, the ability to change the value of the tire heating (or wear) multiplier, (or changing tire treadwear) so that you can drive longer on the same tires, this can be useful for drifters. In the real world (noncompetitive) they use high Treadwear tires to ride longer. or slicks tire preheat in Garage thats Adding a feature from formula 1. It would be cool to see something like that.

Revlimmiter and anti-lag - Also quite obvious and highly anticipated features.

More bumps on tracks in general - The asphalt on the tracks is too ideal, on many real tracks it is not. sometimes there is not enough variety.

Changing size of wheels and tread wear of tires in the garage - self explaining name. For cruise mod only.

Car Ping flickering fix - I think we all noticed that in LFS cars online twitched more than in other simrace games, apparently LFS use a different algorithm for displaying the player's position. perhaps it is worth at least optionally making another smoother system. Like in iRacing or Asseto Corsa, so that the hoster can choose as he wants.

Of course, I would like to see all these features in one form or another sometime in the game. But it is impossible to get everything at once.
Choose what is most important to you.
And I would like the developers to pay attention to the most popular features.
I think many people want to choose several options, but you can’t choose too many at once. I limited the choice of 3 items in the poll.
#3 - Rubie
If a track editor is made, they can be like BTB (bob track builder) or RTB (race track builder). I have used both programs for a long time, both are good, but RTB is more suitable and there may be extra object plugins as in these programs. Of course these are just suggestions. If they don't want to they may not do it, even these latest modded vehicles seem to be enough for players for a long time.
-
(Aleksandr_124rus) DELETED by Aleksandr_124rus
Thumbs up
Quote from Rubie :If a track editor is made, they can be like BTB (bob track builder) or RTB (race track builder). I have used both programs for a long time, both are good, but RTB is more suitable and there may be extra object plugins as in these programs. Of course these are just suggestions. If they don't want to they may not do it, even these latest modded vehicles seem to be enough for players for a long time.

wow ! that will be wonderfull if possible .. Looking
I'd like sound improvements to be a priority as well.
#6 - Gunn
Quote from farcar :I'd like sound improvements to be a priority as well.

+1 for sound improvements (at least for engine sounds).

And I'd add night racing to the list as well.
About the track editor, while this would be amazing, I think (and I can be wrong) that what most people want is the ability to add new tracks, be it through a track editor or just creating the tracks in other software and being able to import to LFS (coping files to LFS directory like in Assetto or whatever), not everybody has the knowledge or time to create tracks. I think the track editor route is more complex (although it was the chosen way for car mods).

I think the game is crying for more variety and the possibility of driving on new tracks would add to replayability and attract more players (very much like there is more people playing Assetto Corsa because of variety than the "more advanced" Competitzione counterpart). Should be priority #1 in my opinion.

Another thing people realize when watching lfs videos on youtube is that "car ping flickering" and how bad it looks. Also makes watching replays a bit painful, especially in cockpit view when "look to where you steer" is enabled (used a lot for drifting). I thought it would be fixed when they increased the packets per second but it didn't. Looks like an easy fix, but i'm not a programmer so go figure...

Also +1 for engine sound improvements.

Just wanted to give my opinion so don't get angry at me Smile
1st there is already implemented a safety rating system by airio (insim). Also in hotlap mode you could preheat your tyres to desired temperature (would be cool to be added in race/quali as well, with option to disable in server side like car repair). The safety car bot is cool idea, but for now we could go with human safety cars. most important in a sim racing game would be the asphalt variable temperature, also different traction in different portions of the track and different grip outside racing line (tyre dust)
Nice poll. Add tyre physics and engine sound improvements as options?
I believe that the only thing worth doing here, is a built in voice chat program, like they use in Team Fortress. Too many people who own this game never play it, and the reason I feel is that there is a failure to comunicate. When someone takes you out, it can be a deliberate premeditated comment on your driving practices sometimes, or it can be a noob, who knows no better, and probably did not even know you were there. The question is, how do you tell one from the other? Often people rage quit a game, and never go back, through the actions of someone who, in reality bears them no malice. Someone who just made a mistake, or has not developed their positional awareness to an experianced level yet. If someone does a deliberate attack on you, and then someone else screws up, the build up of rage in you is the square of the rage each would produce if the other were not there. You have sold plenty of copies of the game, and the reason the servers are not full, is that people don't like being crashed into, with no explainations, and no apologies. I believe that four hours work for a dev, could revive this sorry excuse for a game, and let's face it this engine is far better than every other racing game I have tried, the reason people don't play will not be addressed by improving the graphics, they are already way beyond what you need, and weather is a nice extra, but it is not needed. Comunication is. I understand that there is the Babylonian problem, with two hundred languages voice chatting, but it works in other games.
BTW, on a separate thought. Will the weather affect the grip? Too many driving games have weather, and it makes not one iota of differance to the lap times when it is suposedly pouring down cats and dogs. Snow should have an effect on your grip, ice should definately slow you down. Light rain after a dry spell is a fatal combination, IRL, but in ALL driving games so far, no probs, carry on setting WR times. Also weather would make little difference to people with good video cards, but would cripple people with mediocre to poor cards. The rich already have a huge advantage over the poor, in ALL games, and I see no benefit to anyone by compounding this further.
Quote from LiveForBoobs :Nice poll. Add tyre physics and engine sound improvements as options?

Tire physics will be update on the next LFS patch it does not make sense to add to the poll. I thought about adding engine sounds improvements to the poll, and as I wrote earlier I had more than 30 options for add in the poll, it turned out that there is a limit of 15 options. I had to remove some things like engine sounds improvements.
Quote from Kahn62 :I believe that the only thing worth doing here, is a built in voice chat program, like they use in Team Fortress. Too many people who own this game never play it, and the reason I feel is that there is a failure to comunicate. When someone takes you out, it can be a deliberate premeditated comment on your driving practices sometimes, or it can be a noob, who knows no better, and probably did not even know you were there. The question is, how do you tell one from the other? Often people rage quit a game, and never go back, through the actions of someone who, in reality bears them no malice. Someone who just made a mistake, or has not developed their positional awareness to an experianced level yet. If someone does a deliberate attack on you, and then someone else screws up, the build up of rage in you is the square of the rage each would produce if the other were not there. You have sold plenty of copies of the game, and the reason the servers are not full, is that people don't like being crashed into, with no explainations, and no apologies. I believe that four hours work for a dev, could revive this sorry excuse for a game, and let's face it this engine is far better than every other racing game I have tried, the reason people don't play will not be addressed by improving the graphics, they are already way beyond what you need, and weather is a nice extra, but it is not needed. Comunication is. I understand that there is the Babylonian problem, with two hundred languages voice chatting, but it works in other games.

I don’t understand why this is necessary when people interested in voice chat have programs like discord and teamspeak. We already have enough kids in the form of fluders and spammers in the chat, I don't think it would be a good idea to give them voice chat as well. I'm here rather in favor of the idea of ​​mute of any player in the chat by the admin. But this option also had to be removed due to the limit.
People do not return to the game because the game has not been updated for a long time. And they get bored. For example here is an update with mods that brought back many players.

Quote from Kahn62 :BTW, on a separate thought. Will the weather affect the grip? Too many driving games have weather, and it makes not one iota of differance to the lap times when it is suposedly pouring down cats and dogs. Snow should have an effect on your grip, ice should definately slow you down. Light rain after a dry spell is a fatal combination, IRL, but in ALL driving games so far, no probs, carry on setting WR times.

Of course, the weather affects the grip if we talk about real life, if the games you played do not show this, then these are bad simrace game or arcades.
In real life, grip is a complex multi-factorial property of a tire, everything affects grip, air temperature, humidity, sun angle, asphalt temperature, tire pressure, etc. not to mention obvious things like rain, snow and ice.

Quote from Kahn62 :Also weather would make little difference to people with good video cards, but would cripple people with mediocre to poor cards. The rich already have a huge advantage over the poor, in ALL games, and I see no benefit to anyone by compounding this further.

In the next patches there will be graphics improvements that will greatly affect the requirements for graphics cards, I do not think that what you write should affect the graphical improvements of the game. I don't understand why graphic improvements are bad. Everything evolves over time, and if we talk about LFS, it develops more slowly doing compared to other car simulators, wich it's not their fault, it's their quantity. And we, as players, must keep up with our favorite games with our hardware. Otherwise, we could play on Pentium 2 and not develop in terms of graphics. I don't think it's a smart move. So I don't understand this claim.
Moreover, the weather is more likely not about the graphics, but about the behavior of the car, and processor calculations are already required here, too, in terms of which the LFS has always been inexpensive. Perhaps in terms of graphics, the weather can be implemented without heavy loads on graphics cards.
Quote from Aleksandr_124rus :I don’t understand why this is necessary when people interested in voice chat have programs like discord and teamspeak.

Because it would get everyone in each room on the same voice chat room, and the same voice chat program. In TF and in TS, you can mute anyone who is doing bad things. If you don't like what someone is doing you mute them, and you don't have to wait for an admin to do it for you.
Quote from Aleksandr_124rus : I don't understand why graphic improvements are bad.

I did not say it was bad, or undesirable even, I said it was not needed. The graphics are the LEAST IMPORTANT part of a driving game. I would rather have a game with good feel, even it only had a basic wireframe model with a one colour fill on each polygon. But that's just my opinion.
Quote :I don’t understand why this is necessary when people interested in voice chat have programs like discord and teamspeak.

One of the best community features of iRacing is built in voice chat. It humanizes who you're racing with.
Well put gu3st.
Quote from gu3st :One of the best community features of iRacing is built in voice chat. It humanizes who you're racing with.

iRacing is a slightly different game, it more "pro" lvl, there's a higher price tag which increases the threshold for competent people. We still have a lot of not very sane people. If all sorts of kids, spammers and flooders go to voice chat we must first figure out how to deal with them.
Quote from Aleksandr_124rus :iRacing is a slightly different game, it more "pro" lvl, there's a higher price tag which increases the threshold for competent people. We still have a lot of not very sane people. If all sorts of kids, spammers and flooders go to voice chat we must first figure out how to deal with them.

It's only a different game becuase LFS has, more or less, stayed static for a long time. Many of the top drivers in iRacing used to be top LFS drivers in its heyday. Heck, I stumble across the odd old LFS driver who recognizes me on a semi-regular basis (especially considering my timezone is suboptimal for most).
Quote from Kahn62 :I did not say it was bad, or undesirable even, I said it was not needed. The graphics are the LEAST IMPORTANT part of a driving game. I would rather have a game with good feel, even it only had a basic wireframe model with a one colour fill on each polygon. But that's just my opinion.

I agree with you. I would even say that the graphics are very good considering the few hardware resources mobilized. I'm afraid the graphics update will change that and sideline some players. It is one of the great strengths of the LFS to be accessible to almost everyone. Also, I was wondering if the graphical enhancement would be a compatible optional patch?

The top priority is the quality of the physics. I voted for improving the AI because the physics are already good (it can be even better, we agree). But better AI would make the game much more attractive. It would also allow new players to acquire a better foundation before playing online.
Quote from guislle :Also +1 for engine sound improvements.

Quote from Gunn :+1 for sound improvements (at least for engine sounds).

Quote from farcar :I'd like sound improvements to be a priority as well.

I added a new option "sound improvements" instead of the safety rating because no one voted for it, you can choose this option
Quote from Gunn :And I'd add night racing to the list as well.

It doesn't make sense so I'm only adding things that may affect the development of the game, the night is already planned and will be added in the next patches.
#24 - Gunn
Quote from Aleksandr_124rus :It doesn't make sense so I'm only adding things that may affect the development of the game, the night is already planned and will be added in the next patches.

Well, the poll question asks what feature you are most looking forward to. Night racing would be such a feature for me, so that's what I suggested. Makes sense to me in that context Shrug
Quote from Avraham Vandezwin : Better AI would make the game much more attractive. It would also allow new players to acquire a better foundation before playing online.

On this point I totally disagree, as long as the bots are there, people will never learn anything of value from them. Bots teach you that it's OK to hold your line, despite being way off the pace. They teach you that there's no problem with bashing into people because it has no effect on them. They teach you that curtesy is pointless. A bot never said sorry, a bot never changed a line to let a faster driver have half of the track to pass them safely, and a bot never showed more than one line for any part of the track. Also it S#!!$ me to tears, when I finally find a race I want to join, and it's only bots there. Bots are a problem, never a solution. A solution, like what was posted in another thread, would be ghosting. Piss off the bots, and bring on the ghosts. That way you can REALLY learn how to do EVERYTHING ecxept driving in slip. Ghosts don't give you slip, lol. With ghosts you can follow yourself around, and watch how you did it on your best lap, you can see how someone a second a lap faster than you did it, and you can see how the WR holder does it. That's REAL help. In a really good game you can see all three at the same time... People have been trying to make a good bot for racing games for over twenty years. Companies like Codemasters who have ten junoirs to put on any job, just for the typing practice that they need to get. No-one has come close. These devs have things that they CAN succede at doing, to be going on with, don't burden them with vapourware that goes nowhere instead.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG