The online racing simulator
TT Dragster
Continuing the theme that I have started, I wanted to try my hand at making a rear wheel drive dragster. There is already the Top Fuel Dragster so I decided to make a dragster that would fit into a lower class, still fast but not Top Fueler fast.

The build would go as follows:

Engine: 7L, Twin Turbocharged V8, 9700rpm redline.

Power: 3200Hp+ (2440kw) for a start.

Transmission: 3 Speed TH400 manually shifted

1/4 Mile Time: Low 7 second for a start.

Purpose:
Good old drag racing, this is NOT a circuit car, it's made to go in a straight line fast!
This also serves as a chance for me to design something from scratch, better learning the ins
and outs of the whole mod system and adding another fun vehicle to the LFS mods list.
I want to focus not only on performance but to get it looking good as well.

I know that competition dragsters normally don't have traction control but due to the tyre physics in LFS being designed for road tyres and circuit racing slicks, traction is a challenge when making a high power drag car, so for now I'll include it.

Here are some pictures of the current model, it's taking shape nicely I think but there is still work to be done before I think V1 is ready to be uploaded.

Here are some vids to give an idea of what I am aiming for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5USleUfZkd0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi4H-Jq7nO8

Your input would be appreciated
Attached images
TT-Dragster1.png
TT-Dragster2.png
TT-Dragster3.png
TT-Dragster4.png
Done some more work on it, now the rear wing isn't connected by bluetooth anymore
Attached images
TT-Dragster6.png
Changed to an engine that I did from scratch due to license issues
Attached images
EngineUpgrade1.jpg
I am looking for some advice or assistance on this mod, one persistent problem is that the car "shudders" when its stationary and idling. Its not a problem if you aren't using a force feedback controller but when you are it translates to the wheel rocking side to side, just a small amount but its annoying. I have tried changing the anti-roll bar settings, camber, tyre pressures, nothing stops it
Nice dragster! Smile
I'm using a controller but i see the steering and the front tyres rocking from side to side.
I've made a setup that doesn't do it when you go out of box/start the race but if you press and release the gas it's start to wobble.

I think that the cause are the big tyres with no suspension on the rear. they start to bounce around and keep going making the car move and the steering wobble.
Increasing the pressure reduce this effect.

Try this setup https://www.lfs.net/attachment/294011
Attached files
CA7F75_^3Proto.set - 132 B - 150 views
I’m not sure if you’ve been around this kind of engine in real life but they sure do shudder a lot. They shake the whole damn neighborhood if they’re wicked enough.
Quote from Atthis :Nice dragster! Smile
I'm using a controller but i see the steering and the front tyres rocking from side to side.
I've made a setup that doesn't do it when you go out of box/start the race but if you press and release the gas it's start to wobble.

I think that the cause are the big tyres with no suspension on the rear. they start to bounce around and keep going making the car move and the steering wobble.
Increasing the pressure reduce this effect.

Try this setup https://www.lfs.net/attachment/294011

Hey thanks man, glad you are enjoying it!

I have noticed that changing pressures do reduce it, I was just curious as to why it happens, I have even noticed it rocking in the modeller.
Quote from RE Amemiya :I’m not sure if you’ve been around this kind of engine in real life but they sure do shudder a lot. They shake the whole damn neighborhood if they’re wicked enough.

Yip been around plenty of them and as you say, they do shudder for sure! However I am not sure that the shuddering in LFS is for the same reasons that the real things do XD.
So I've been messing around with some setting on the editor, it definitely is to do with the tyres, more how they deform & return to normal. Instead of them returning to a steady state, the rim moves from side to side in the tyre and it doesn't return to a central position, it carries on. If the tyres are at a higher pressure they don't do it but that kind of defeats the purpose of having the tyres soft for better traction. Is there any way that Scawen could give comment on this?

🤭🤭🤭
Quote from aanrus :

🤭🤭🤭

yeah..........I have no clue why it turns into the "Tornado of Westhill"........I think its all the POWER
Nice to see a dragster approved. I have an improvement suggestion.
In version 23, I believe the engine rotation direction is wrong. For nearly all RWD cars, when you blip the throttle, the left side should lift (car rocks clockwise from driver's viewpoint as engine revs increase).
This is confirmed at least in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywDgpkWas8k

To fix: 'Object Positions' -> Rotation (from front) -> clockwise.
Agreed, nice addition to the approved mods list.
Almost all other drag mods are forbidden on Just a Ride, but that guy knows how to build dragsters, and make this kind of racing interesting again.
Quote from Scawen :Nice to see a dragster approved. I have an improvement suggestion. In version...

Thanks Scawen, its nice to see this mod get the recognition, it was built to be enjoyed by all and be a good representation of a proper dragster.

Good point on the engine rotation, I must say I omitted to confirm that, so I'll update that soon!

Na-na
Quote from turbofan :Agreed, nice addition to the approved mods list. Almost all other drag mods are...

Thanks Turbofan, appreciate the support always and the fact that this mod isn't on the JAR naughty list Omg omg omg

TT Dragster
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG