The online racing simulator
Quote from chucknorris :Would it be possible to control the regenerative braking strength while driving?

Many cars have such a feature, my old Smart even used the shifting paddles to modify the strength

Well, what is on my list to do for EV is sort of as you describe but not exactly.

I mean, it would not affect what happens when you press the brake pedal, but only what happens when you let off the accelerator pedal. There could be an off-pedal regeneration effect that is controlled by the paddles. I guess it would feel a bit like engine braking controlled by gears.

But as far as I understand, it's different from braking as it would not apply the actual brakes, and only applies a slowing effect on the drive wheels.
Is it also possible to have a new button for manual regen like you have on FE cars. They normally do braking in three phases (Atleast the first gen FE cars). lift and coast, then regen by pulling a paddle on the steering, and then fully combined braking. Not sure about the systems they use on current gen cars, but from what I have learned, most teams have regen paddles on current gen cars too.
I understand the reason for that, so you can brake using the drive wheels only to harvest energy without wastefully applying the front brakes. I read about that on this site: https://canopysimulations.com/2019/12/21/gen3-formula-e-to-charge-or-not-to-charge/

Apparently that current system is "an annoyance for drivers and engineers alike" according to the site. Personally I would think it is actually dangerous. Braking near the limit is something you shouldn't be messing with, using multiple controls.

So that's why the new front wheels motor, that is only for regen and not drive, could really be good news.

To my mind, it would be better to support that future system at some point rather than supporting that dangerous and annoying system they have to use now. Smile
I'm wondering what's the idea behind of having regen only for single axis driven cars?
Quote from Eclipsed :I'm wondering what's the idea behind of having regen only for single axis driven cars?

1) There is an EV event coming up and I was trying to get it done in good time.

2) It's way more complicated to try and work out how much engine braking should be applied to all four wheels through three differentials, and then how much braking force should be enabled to each pair of wheels in that case.

3) Are there actually any four wheel drive EVs in reality that use a single motor and a central diff? It sounds far better to have two motors (a separate one at front and rear). Less drive train loss, and the ability to control torque to front and rear in a better way. If, as seems reasonable, the LFS version (single motor driving four wheels) doesn't even exist in reality, or is extremely rare, then it seems there is even less point in coding a 'realistic' regen braking for a drive arrangement that is itself unrealistic.
Is it possible to add those 4 letter abbreviations of the car names like you see in the latest races tab in profile page to the in-game results page?

It would be nice seeing those instead of just MOD there
Yes that is on a list. It may be surprising but that will require an incompatible version. It's one of the many things that couldn't be done in time before the public release.
nice file
Attached images
2022-01-11_23-49-42.png
Is it possible to do a favourites list on the mod page ingame? Finding mods now is getting harder.
Quote from Scawen :3) Are there actually any four wheel drive EVs in reality that use a single motor and a central diff? It sounds far better to have two motors (a separate one at front and rear). Less drive train loss, and the ability to control torque to front and rear in a better way. If, as seems reasonable, the LFS version (single motor driving four wheels) doesn't even exist in reality, or is extremely rare, then it seems there is even less point in coding a 'realistic' regen braking for a drive arrangement that is itself unrealistic.

Only some conversions as far as I know. OEMs use 2 or more motors because it's simpler and a front to rear transmission takes up valuable battery space.
A brake-by-wire system can simulate every electric vehicles' brake. For civilian vehicle it's called CRBS. Only Tesla just uses off-pedal regenerate, which in my mind is also dangerous as it have no difference than current gen FE but just an strength setting on dashboard.

For 4WD vehicle 2 or more motors distribute at front and rear axle is more common, even Audi's lastest Dakar hybrid car did the same. Talking about hybrid, it can simply described as two motors that have different energy source put on the same axle.
Quote from Scawen :...

I mean, it would not affect what happens when you press the brake pedal, but only what happens when you let off the accelerator pedal. There could be an off-pedal regeneration effect that is controlled by the paddles. I guess it would feel a bit like engine braking controlled by gears.

But as far as I understand, it's different from braking as it would not apply the actual brakes, and only applies a slowing effect on the drive wheels.

That is indeed the effect I was talking about. Just engine brake, no wheel brakes. Using the unused gears on EVs seems to be a smart approach as everything is already there, settings, buttons, network, outgauge, insim etc.

Little bonus: Users could even change each "gear" in their setups to make them fit their needs. Not 100% realistic, but it's a game after all.
Regen is complex and affect brake balance a lot. It will be very different in full EV and in hybrid EV like current F1. It can even be mechanic I think williams developped at the beggining of F1 hybrid a mechanical regen device that could spin around 100 (or 150)krpm. It never went on the starting grid but it was something impressive.
It is also possible to regen by axle or by motor depending on configuration.
Anyway I understand it can be a headache...
I've been testing the MOD AI generation, and have found that very heavy vehicles have trouble braking enough when going downhill.

The best example I've found for recreation is the Metro Bus mod on SO5 (it can't make the turn) and SO3 (hits the barrier so hard it flips over and falls into the underworld).
Would it also be possible to have regen when you let go off the throttle? Most EV's I've driven have a regen force that you can set higher or lower, like chucknorris also suggests.
This thread is closed

TEST Patch A2 - Mod AI / EV regenerative braking
(41 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG