The online racing simulator
Where to find free 3Ds to use?
(14 posts, started )
Good afternoon, I don't know if I'm writing in the correct place, if I'm wrong you can delete this post.

I would like to know if there is any site that has 3D models available for download that I can use and put credits when posting the mod, I was using sketchfab,however I saw that I can't trust the sources, some 3Ds are not really from the users who posted it available for download.
Thanks for asking the question.

We have to say the responsibility is on the mod creator to make sure the model they are using is truly legitimate, and that the person who originally created the model, really gives their permission for other people to use it and modify it.

It's quite distressing for the reviewers to have to reject a mod, that someone has done a lot of work on, but forgot to verify its legitimacy before they started. Also there are so many mods coming in and we are providing a free service, it's simply not possible for us to do a full police style investigation into every mod that is submitted.

Other problems we have encountered, people lying to us, taking mods from websites and claiming that they created it themselves. Copying and pasting text from other mods that were submitted successfully, in the hope that it will help their mod to pass the acceptance stage. Other problems too. People submitting a mod almost immediately after importing the mesh, and with no attempt to get anything right, so we end up forced to give them a tutorial through the mods "needs changes" system and repeated submissions. It's quite tiring. I think the reviewers may have been hoping for people to be creative, careful, trustworthy, which of course we do see!

I don't know if the initial rush will die down. I really hope so. We think a mod is something to work on for weeks or months. It should be about quality, not quantity. The reviewers would love it, if fewer, higher quality mods arrived, well researched and tested, with any sources verified and legitimate. Some of the mods arriving are so badly flawed, we have no idea why they have been submitted at all. We may download, test, get a sinking feeling and think, right, where do I start, can the user who submitted it really not see the problems?

Having said that, we have seen a lot of super mods and it is really great to see that. I must admit that I'm struggling at the moment to see how we will get the process working properly as time goes on. Maybe we will have to become far stricter. We really can't just run a distribution service for stolen goods! We want to be a hub of creativity and fun.
I support what Scaven said. Also, would be nice to have an update limit per day or even per week, because I saw some mods updating 10 times a day with 30 minutes intervals and that's ridiculous. Some mods updating with no visible changes from time to time that I am thinking it is done just to raise it up on the mods list

Also to henricat2006, I am using a 3dsky for years as an interior designer, there you can find
a lot of transport models too, but I would not hope for free models. If you willing to pay some money for a good model here you go https://3dsky.org/3dmodels?cat=drugie&subcat=transport&&page=1
I'm working on a mod (from scratch) for a month now, didn't even bother to load it up as a WIP yet. Don't wanna rush myself and i want it to be simply great.

I hope you can find a way to make it better for the reviewers, Scawen! Keep up the good work, it's appreciated.
I have some times published and then found something very wrong that need fix asap. But I do agree quality is much more important than quantity.
Some mods would keep in mind LFS is "The Online Racing Simulator" too ...
Plus we don't know how sketchfabs, or any other model repository site's vetting process is like, there was at least one modern F1 car released here earlier with a model from Sketchfab, which I would not be surprised if it was ripped from an older Codemasters game.
#9 - 98LS1
Are people hand-drawing these entire cars? I feel like you'd have to import the model from somewhere
Quote from 98LS1 :Are people hand-drawing these entire cars? I feel like you'd have to import the model from somewhere

I mean, even if you "import" them from somewhere, at some point an artist must have made these 3D models. You can't just import a CAD model from like the car manufacturer as the type of model is much too different. So yes, every car model you see in a game somewhere has been handmade by an artist at some point. The original LFS cars were all done from scratch by Eric I suppose, same as the tracks.

Good mods are made entirely from scratch by hobbyists, with no commercial model as basis. Needs a lot of work and time, no question. I made 4 full car mods from scratch (for Assetto Corsa), and roughly needed a year of leisure evening modelling per car.

As such, as you can imagine, we the "true modders" don't quite like people just usíng whatever model they can find and presenting them as their own. I know this sounds snobbish, but compare it to a musician writing his own music and someone just copying beats, melodies and lyrics from unmarked sources.
Quote from ACCAkut :I mean, even if you "import" them from somewhere, at some point an artist must have made these 3D models. You can't just import a CAD model from like the car manufacturer as the type of model is much too different. So yes, every car model you see in a game somewhere has been handmade by an artist at some point. The original LFS cars were all done from scratch by Eric I suppose, same as the tracks.

Good mods are made entirely from scratch by hobbyists, with no commercial model as basis. Needs a lot of work and time, no question. I made 4 full car mods from scratch (for Assetto Corsa), and roughly needed a year of leisure evening modelling per car.

As such, as you can imagine, we the "true modders" don't quite like people just usíng whatever model they can find and presenting them as their own. I know this sounds snobbish, but compare it to a musician writing his own music and someone just copying beats, melodies and lyrics from unmarked sources.

I don't have the skills to create from scratch but could definitely import and edit. I was curious for myself not making for public
Quote from 98LS1 :I don't have the skills to create from scratch but could definitely import and edit. I was curious for myself not making for public

yeah no issue Smile thought you were like asking if it's even possible to make these things to a "photo real" quality with no apprenticeship or special schools Nod many professionals in the craft started as hobby modders first, honed their skills on mods and turned it into a job at some point. Your first model will not look great immediately, but it's a very satisfying thing once your selfmade thing finally becomes drivable in a game
In my opinion, if you know how to create a good and accurate driving experience. Then log many hours privately testing and tuning the car,. If you find a model online for sale for $10-20 I really think it would be worth it for a great mod to be introduced to LFS. But it’s up to the modder if it would be worth adding a professional model on top of their physics interpretation.
Quote from henricat2006 :Good afternoon, I don't know if I'm writing in the correct place, if I'm wrong you can delete this post.

I would like to know if there is any site that has 3D models available for download that I can use and put credits when posting the mod, I was using sketchfab,however I saw that I can't trust the sources, some 3Ds are not really from the users who posted it available for download.

For models, there was a game called Car Parking Multiplayer with a lot of them, and I am pretty sure it was only one guy making the game, there are over 100 cars and more added every update so I don't know if he makes them himself or if the developer may know places to get models, I don't know how legitimate the models are though it may be worth trying tp contact him for his sources? Or if you were looking for 3D modelling apps? Some free ones exist like Blender and FreeCAD, they work well (FreeCAD is a little buggy thoufh). If I make a car model sometime I'll let you know. Good luck making these mods I enjoy using them lots Smile

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG