The online racing simulator
Double the object limit
(4 posts, started )
Double the object limit
Our computers have gotten faster since 2002, I reckon by and large we can handle it. If not perhaps occlude an object from rendering if it is not on a visible part of the track.

Especially on the new great big track Layout Square where there is basically nothing else to render anyway, we would benefit greatly from being able to use all of the space for autocross layouts.
Yes and no. First - object limit has been increased almost by 5 times between the original 500 (or was it 512?) many years ago to 2400 now.

Having said that fact,I must admit,that I've been building a layout in layout square in past few days and came to a conclusion that I will run out of objects to make the layout complete as it should be,so personally I would favour the increase to 3000 at least. As far as I know,the limit has something to do with load times,but how often do you need to load a layout? So with this huge area comes much more possibilities,therefore many might require more objects.
I'd like to see more objects too, even if it's only a few hundred or so. I would have liked there to have been more even before we had the new large Layout Square.

I recently made a layout on LA2 (https://www.lfs.net/forum/thre ... 2-Wendslydale-Test-Ground) where I used all the available objects, but still managed a track that is almost 6.5 miles / 10.5km long, and included some buildings and stuff, so long tracks can be built, just need to use some shortcuts.

If object limit was to remain the same just now, then I'd like to see more colours for the concrete walls (especially). If you can have 6 colours of tyres, don't see why we're restricted to 4 colours of concrete.

For large layouts, more colour variety would be welcome.

If object count could be made higher, I'd like to see inclusion of some simple, non-track, scenery objects, such as;

start gantry
footbridge
trees
bushes
support vehicles
transporters
buildings
control tower
marshall posts
safety fencing
Quote from sinanju :If you can have 6 colours of tyres, don't see why we're restricted to 4 colours of concrete.

As far as I remember, there is a technological limitation with the concrete objects - the packet size for the layout object is limited and for the concrete object colours there were only 2 bits left - that means 4 possible combinations, hence 4 concrete colours.
Changing it would require to completely rework the layout system, which surely isn't the priority at the moment.

Double the object limit
(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG