The online racing simulator
Quote from MataGyula :They are nice, but the BL GP asphalt is too similiar to the asphalt @ Aston ,imho P:
But otherwise, nice work !

honestly, it is actually the same base texture for now i'm making all tracks with the same base texture (as long as this is reasonable), what i'm really asking to all you guys is something like: what "effects" are missing, or speaking about making each track different: some ideas like "this track should be more dark that the other, because...", "this track should have more cracks, because...etc." etc. because til now it seems to me that all tracks except fern bay and south city, should have the same tarmac, if someone can give me some ideas about all of this, i would appreciate very much since i think i'm not very good at thinking about those differences...

btw thank you for appreciating my work
You're welcome!
Well, I dont know much about race tracks and their asphalt :P
You could find out where the LFS are tracks located approximately( Fern Bay - Jamaica ?) and then google up some images from over there and try to implement them to your texture pack :P
But there are ppl here who are deeper in this kind of stuff, they can surely help you better than i did(not :o )
for those who need, i have uploaded the blackwood *.psd source files
I like this Blackwood texture very much.. I love this darker looking asphalt, it's more real then the original one, good work there
I got a suggestion for you.. what about making the asphalt look more dirtier, you know, when you look the real races, there is dirt on the asphalt and it looks like the track is being used, not like it is just fresh made. I don't know how hard is to do this, but it would look absolutely great, and it would really add to the immersion. Otherwise, really great looking asphalt Honey..
Quote from Boris Lozac :I like this Blackwood texture very much.. I love this darker looking asphalt, it's more real then the original one, good work there
I got a suggestion for you.. what about making the asphalt look more dirtier, you know, when you look the real races, there is dirt on the asphalt and it looks like the track is being used, not like it is just fresh made. I don't know how hard is to do this, but it would look absolutely great, and it would really add to the immersion. Otherwise, really great looking asphalt Honey..

thank you! i'm happy you enjoy my work!
you are right about some dirt especially for blackwood, i think. when i was working on the base texture i made few tests with dirt, but at that time i was still fighting with eric's weirdo mappings (still fighting thou ), btw this is a perfect expamle of suggestion i am looking for the next version of textures with more realistic effects...i just noted "dirt" at top of my todo list fox next generation of asphalt textures...btw i think that probably i will work on an easier thing (tyre treads maybe) before next tarmac release just to alternate a bit...
cheers
may i suggest only putting the dirt bit near the edges of the grass would look silly in the middle of the track
Quote from Xaid0n :may i suggest only putting the dirt bit near the edges of the grass would look silly in the middle of the track

yep! i was thinking that too also because it would be easier to avoid aliasing (repetition effect), but mainly for realism.

the funny thing is that in the last months when i go out i stare at tarmac trying to figure out new ideas , that texturing thing is driving me crazy...well crazier than before
Thanx a lot and keep it up !
The look of the road is very important for any driving game. This does miracles really for the game, i like it much better. I like the feeling on going around on fresh tarmac instead of grey old tarmac. Looks good and feels fresh, a definate keeper.
I get the stitching problem in the middle of the track (Used to happen to alot of people on Aston) with your blackwood textures, it's not too big a deal and may well be my GFX card not quite rendering things quick enough!

It's a small white line up the middle of the road, but not a constant line, just at various point (line for 5 metres, stop for 20, another line)
Do you have anti aliasing enabled, if your card is powerful enough to use it?
Yes I do, and I hasn't struggled with any game yet at same settings (GT Legens DX9) Battlefeld 2 etc.....

Radeon X850 256mb --- Could be my gfx card, but only happens on these textures, all other texture packs I've tried have been fine....
Quote from djdolber :Thanx a lot and keep it up !
The look of the road is very important for any driving game. This does miracles really for the game, i like it much better. I like the feeling on going around on fresh tarmac instead of grey old tarmac. Looks good and feels fresh, a definate keeper.

thanks, i will!
Quote from Thorvertonian :I get the stitching problem in the middle of the track (Used to happen to alot of people on Aston) with your blackwood textures, it's not too big a deal and may well be my GFX card not quite rendering things quick enough!

It's a small white line up the middle of the road, but not a constant line, just at various point (line for 5 metres, stop for 20, another line)

i think i understand what you mean, i experienced it on an old pc with very low-end graphic card (maybe intel, i dont know) and it occurs where textures joins, it happens with original textures too and it can be only masqueraded making textures much brigher and maybe with some trick...when i saw that on that pc, i worked a bit to smooth it but then i dropped caring about when i realised it was basically a graphic card issue.
btw, since this issue is really annoying, i will try to start again to work on some tricks to make it much less evident, but i make no promises about results
Quote from Rtsbasic :Do you have anti aliasing enabled, if your card is powerful enough to use it?

good idea, maybe just a bit of AA could do the trick
Quote from Thorvertonian :Yes I do, and I hasn't struggled with any game yet at same settings (GT Legens DX9) Battlefeld 2 etc.....

Radeon X850 256mb --- Could be my gfx card, but only happens on these textures, all other texture packs I've tried have been fine....

do you mean that it happens only with my testures, or with any texture pack for aston?
as i said this problem is for aston only, with blackwood it is one bigger texture and this problem cannot appear

EDIT: with my home pc it is fine (asus nvidia 6600)
Quote from Honey :it occurs where textures joins, it happens with original textures too and it can be only masqueraded making textures much brigher and maybe with some trick...

isnt it all about the edges of the textures ? if they are exactly the same you should get a seamless fit
It only happens on Blackwood! Aston workf fine, not quite sure what is going on, AA 16 and AF 8.......
Quote from Shotglass :isnt it all about the edges of the textures ? if they are exactly the same you should get a seamless fit

i don't think it is the case, on the low-end pc i used for tests at work it is surely the crappy graphic card, for Thorvertonian in this case maybe could be the texture
Quote from Thorvertonian :It only happens on Blackwood! Aston workf fine, not quite sure what is going on, AA 16 and AF 8.......

in this case maybe it is something to do with my texture, while on some sections blackwood also has more than one texture and thus this problem also arises, but since aston (wich is worse) is ok for you then it must be my textures, i'll look into it and i will fix it. Sorry if i didn't understand clearly before.
thanks for reporting it.
Quote from Thorvertonian :It only happens on Blackwood! Aston workf fine, not quite sure what is going on, AA 16 and AF 8.......

i confirm it: it is my bug! it seems that when exporting from psd to raw i had mistakenly one of the subtlelayers, so the overlap created sorta of a grey line...the master psd is fine thou.

i already fixed it, but i cannot upload right now (dinner sorry ), whitin one hour i will upload it and half an hour more for sourceforge mirroring to complete by 22.00 of this night it should be available.

sorry for the inconvenience
Just one thing too add, stop apologising!!!! lol

You've gone to effort of making some textures like many others, but unlike many others, yours are actually worth using

I wasn't sure wether it was my PC or the Texture problem, as you've confirmed it I'm more than confident your skillz will provail!!!!

Look foward to the update, NO RUSH!

Brilliant work, hope you carry on to do all circuits
mmmmm lovely new tarmac like Aston on fernbay lovely I love the dark tarmac more than anything, looks nice for screenshots
Quote from Thorvertonian :Just one thing too add, stop apologising!!!! lol

ok!
Quote :
You've gone to effort of making some textures like many others, but unlike many others, yours are actually worth using

that was the initial purpose and i'm glad i achieved it.
After so many Aston downloads i felt quite obligated to release at least Blackwood
Quote :
I wasn't sure wether it was my PC or the Texture problem, as you've confirmed it I'm more than confident your skillz will provail!!!!

Look foward to the update, NO RUSH!

Brilliant work, hope you carry on to do all circuits

westhill and kyoto should be quite straightforward, maybe some attention for fern bay, while for south city...well i hope you don't like south city...it can take ages before i willingly decide to work on it !!! well i will sooner or later, but prolly later...
Quote from Xaid0n :mmmmm lovely new tarmac like Aston on fernbay lovely I love the dark tarmac more than anything, looks nice for screenshots

fern bay is definately my favourite track and this is one more reason to give it the care it deserves...
maybe fern bay should be a bit brighter than aston or blackwood or maybe some dust/sand near borders as Boris Lozac and you suggested. My main goals are firstly to make tarmacs more realistic as possible and then give each track its own personality.
cheers
i did the ftp upload on sourceforge.
for those who don't want to wait for the mirroring to complete (max half an hour) or just want to download the updated file only, here is the only file to update in the attachment (unrar it into lfs-folder\data\dds)
cheers
Attached files
BWoldroad.part1.rar - 1.4 MB - 491 views
BWoldroad.part2.rar - 1.4 MB - 337 views
BWoldroad.part3.rar - 1.4 MB - 370 views
BWoldroad.part4.rar - 897 KB - 472 views
downloaded, tested.... WOW :eye-poppi :faint2:
Attached images
BL1.jpg
Quote from Xaid0n :downloaded, tested.... WOW :eye-poppi :faint2:

i don't know how it could be possible! can you just reinstall it? i know it's a simple file copy, but i remember someone having some weird problem: he just reinstalled and it worked...

i personally tested both, but just to know what did you download, the single file on lfs forum or the whole package from sourceforge?

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG